Hoverboards and hovercars will be real if this technology advances

http://www.alienresearchcorp.com/technology/anti-gravity/emdrive/china/

If this technology can be fitted into smaller objects then by 2015 we will indeed have hoverboards and hovercar conversions.

awesome huh?!!!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Ive reserched This topic many times over. This is pretty cool. Nice find.
  • edited September 2011
    my only doubt is that a hoverboard will not pass health and safety standards!!
  • edited September 2011
    Great... a lot of people can't even drive properly on the ground... adding a third dimension to their possible ways to screw up makes this a bit scary. But for projects other than the mass market this sounds interesting!
  • I think flying cars would only be feasible if they were self-drivable. There's far too many logistical problems to have it the way BTTF showed
    -running out of gas/car breaking down in mid air
    -car accidents in mid air
    -interfering with helicopters and airplanes
    -ability to have them circumvent tolls/borders
    -dare I say it, terrorist attacks
    -how does a cop pull someone over in mid air
    -landing would be extremely dangerous
    -it would be extremely difficult to stop on a dime.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2011
    If they ever did manufacture an anti-gravity automobile, I'm sure they'd treat it like the Terrafugia Transition, where you need both a valid driver's license as well as a pilot's license for the class of aircraft you are piloting. They'd definitely only let you take off and land in airports and possibly heliports and only with clearance from air traffic control. It would be way too dangerous to take off and land from the streets.

And, of course, traffic lanes in the sky like in Back to the Future Part II or The Jetsons is just silly. :p
  • edited September 2011
    Skylines as seen in BttF would be great...for one real reason...the roads would be clear for us old fogies who don't want to risk the danger of flying with the other idiots.
  • edited September 2011
    Skylines as seen in BttF would be great...for one real reason...the roads would be clear for us old fogies who don't want to risk the danger of flying with the other idiots.

Stupid thinking dear, if they crash IN THE SKY, where do you think they will LAND ?
  • edited September 2011
    Strayth wrote: »
    Stupid thinking dear, if they crash IN THE SKY, where do you think they will LAND ?

in the movie the cars had inbuilt ejecter seats... not sure what would happen with the car though
  • edited September 2011
    in the movie the cars had inbuilt ejecter seats... not sure what would happen with the car though

That's what I meant, if he stays on the ground and idiots are crashing in the sky, chances are the cars are getting... on the ground too, thus making the whole "I avoid idiots crashing" pointless, as they could easily crash on you either way.
  • edited October 2011
    There is massively more airspace then road space, remember.

Even if every driver were to fly...and the number of drivers dubbled, there would still be so much space as to make crashes a lot less likely. Probably by a factor of a hundred or more. The reduced denisity really would make a big difference.
    And if the human population more then doubles, we are going to have worse problems anyway.

I am assuming, of course, a bttf style flying car here - so vertical take of and landing, with no apperently massive thrust needed.

I'd guess youd want skylanes of some sort, even in this scenario, but they could be much much wider then moterways on the ground, and multilayered.
    Skylanes would also make safety easier to manage, as youd have a wide known margin of error. (as apposed to everyone flying everywhere, you at least know you have X hundred meters infront/behind to monitor, rather then 360x360 around you)

Anywayyyys....

Unless we invent true anti-gravity flying cars are never going to be used because they would be a massive waste of energy. We might use them "for fun" but never as standard transport.

The emDrive is a wonderful bit of tech if it works, but the artical is misleading as its in no way shape or form "anti-gravity". Its just a potentially new way to apply thrust.
    You still need to spend quite a lot of energy...which needs to be carriered...in order to overcome gravity and the weight of the vechile.

Perhaps its better to see the emDrive as a little like a lifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8otSSPgdA
    (this also requires no propellant, the ions in the air are what move)

Again, not real anti-gravity, but a insanely cool way to make a downwards force.

Real anti-gravity would, I think, only be possible if;

a) Gravity is a particle. Lots of theorys say it is, but experiments with supercolliders have never been able to confirm or find it.

b) We can block that particles movement somehow.
  • edited October 2011
    Ok now let you guys know i contacted mattel and told them about the emdrive tech. I will Quote the reply i get but I think they might tell me that i posted in wrong place or they dont take suggestions.

if your wondering why i contacted mattel then watch bttf 2 and look closley at the hoverboard.
  • edited October 2011
    Well, as everyone knows. Things like hoverboards and cars and the like in movies, cartoons, ect. Is really just to easily show that it is the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.