Original 1931

edited October 2011 in Back to the Future
Seeing all the episodes of the Game again, I was wondering what things would have been like in the 1931 of the original timeline (the one Marty, and the Doc in Episodes 1-2 came from; and the timeline in which there were NO time traveler's in 1931). Marty and Ep 1-2 Doc obviously remember this timeline and use it as a reference to 'fix' things, but I thought, just for the heck of it, to put down the original sequence of events, based on clues in all the episodes, and see how different the original history was from what we saw in the Game.

Let's start with June 1931. Edna would have burnt down the speakeasy, except that this time she wouldn't have been attacked by a dog and gotten clean away. The identity of the speakeasy arsonist is unknown and continues to remain one of Hill Valley's great mysteries. Emmett Brown in the meantime, secretely works on his rocket drill, without any assistance. He probably doesn't even meet Edna Strickland. He may not have even been able to convince Arthur McFly to answer the subpoena on Kid Tannen, so Arthur is safe from Kid's wrath.

Then, in August 1931, Trixie Trotter would have provided Arthur with evidence about Kid Tannen's tax evasion. They would have handed the evidence to Detective Danny Parker (who was still a reputed member of the force and was NEVER a corrupt cop) and Parker would have arrested Kid Tannen. Arthur and Trixie would have fallen in love. Emmett Brown and Edna Strickland would not have in any way been involved in these events. Emmett instead would go to watch Frankenstien and gain inspiration from seeing the Frankenstien monster being reanimated by lightning.

In October 1931, Emmett would have secretly developed his rocket car, without anyone's assistance. Arthur and Trixie would presumably still have worked at the Expo. Edna would have had nothing whatsoever to do with the Expo. Emmett's father, Judge Brown, would have tried to stop Emmett's experiment, but Emmett would have defied him and gone ahead anyway. This would lead to an irrevocable souring of the relationship between father and son, but Emmett's path would be clear. Arthur and Trixie would likely have dated for a while more, before Trixie informed him of her true identity. They would only have gotten married by 1936.

So on the whole, quiet a straight-forward course of events as opposed to what we actually see.

Comments

• well let's go through what are known facts that we dont see

-like you mentioned the speakeasy arson remains a mystery and Kid does get arrested.
    Trixie and Artie obviously still get together but Artie may or may not be hiding for 2 months. Emmett did have to serve Artie with the supoena, Marty just helped him.
    I think longer term Arties timeline plays out better in the newer timeline. It's a parralel to George and Biff, the difference being Kid goes to jail. George gets a great deal of confidence from standing up to Biff and Artie does the same for standing up to Kid (hence him obviously giving different messages to George in the 2 timelines).

Trixie is probably able to hide her heritage better. Marty has no clue he's a quarter canadian. In the new timeline she embraces it more.
  • edited October 2011
    well let's go through what are known facts that we dont see

-like you mentioned the speakeasy arson remains a mystery and Kid does get arrested.
    Trixie and Artie obviously still get together but Artie may or may not be hiding for 2 months. Emmett did have to serve Artie with the supoena, Marty just helped him.
    I think longer term Arties timeline plays out better in the newer timeline. It's a parralel to George and Biff, the difference being Kid goes to jail. George gets a great deal of confidence from standing up to Biff and Artie does the same for standing up to Kid (hence him obviously giving different messages to George in the 2 timelines).

Trixie is probably able to hide her heritage better. Marty has no clue he's a quarter canadian. In the new timeline she embraces it more.

Yeah, I've wondered what impact the new more confident Arthur would have had on George. Then again, Arthur helped take down Kid Tannen in the original timeline as well...so maybe he WAS always confident and George turned out to be a wimp nevertheless. A confident father doesn't necessarily equal a wimpish son. Marty Jr. is the son of a confident Marty and he's a 'complete wimp'.

I don't think Artie was in hiding for 2 months. Artie going into hiding was the main change that led to the alternate timeline where the Tannen Gang ruled Hill Valley. Maybe, if Arthur did answer the subpoena, he was able to hide it from Kid somehow...
  • edited October 2011
    I don't think Arthur would have worked at the Expo. Doc implied that after Kid's arrest, Artie just became a humble accountant living quietly.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't think Arthur would have worked at the Expo. Doc implied that after Kid's arrest, Artie just became a humble accountant living quietly.

I don't seem to recall Doc making any particular insinuations of that kind.

Besides, Marty's actions did not appear to be the cause directly or indirectly of Artie working at the Expo...its possible, even probable he would have done so anyway.
  • For that matter william seems to be a confident father but Artie is bold and defies him to marry Sylvia.

Artie's rarely seen around hill valley in the 2 months between Doc evading Danny and Kids arrest.

I think Artie may have played more a part in actually capturing Kid tannen in the new timeline whereas in the old one who only helps prove his guilt.
  • edited October 2011
    sn939 wrote: »
    I don't seem to recall Doc making any particular insinuations of that kind.

Besides, Marty's actions did not appear to be the cause directly or indirectly of Artie working at the Expo...its possible, even probable he would have done so anyway.

From Episode 1: "If history plays out as it's supposed to, he'll soon be out from under Kid Tannen's thumb, and free to live out his life as a humble accountant with your grandma."

Also, Artie himself says that him heading the Expo would never have happened if he hadn't answered that subpoena.
  • edited October 2011
    From Episode 1: "If history plays out as it's supposed to, he'll soon be out from under Kid Tannen's thumb, and free to live out his life as a humble accountant with your grandma."

Also, Artie himself says that him heading the Expo would never have happened if he hadn't answered that subpoena.

Okay...I hadn't heard those lines. Then I guess maybe he wasn't at the Expo originally. Though of course, its possible he DID answer the subpoena even in the original timeline and thus headed the Expo.

As far as the 'humble accountant' thing goes...well, its not like heading the Expo necessarily made him something more than a 'humble accountant'...
  • edited October 2011
    He wouldn't have answered the subpoena in the original timeline. He was hiding in the safehouse, Emmett didn't know where that was, and even if so, Kid would've had him killed. The only reason that Artie didn't die was because Marty was able to save him from Kid's goons.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.