I hate to be a killjoy, but here's a long joykilling post.

edited January 2012 in Sam & Max
It seems like most of the threads in this subforum are either speculation or suggestions about where to take the franchise from here. Just on the front page alone, there's:
  • A suggestion to buy and finish Freelance Police
  • Speculation about a new TV season
  • Someone planning to sell Purcell's concept to Adult Swim for a new series somehow
  • A season 4 (speculation and) suggestion thread
  • Anticipation for some kind of release for the 25th anniversary of the franchise
  • more speculation about a new TV season

Guys, none of this will happen. Ever. The only exception being the possibility of Steve Purcell drawing a little something on his blog, and a Telltale sale.

First off, things don't work this way. The sheer force of willpower alone can't create things. For the sake of an example, let's talk about the new TV series hopes. Pitching a new show would require tons of work, that a man who already has another demanding job simply can't do. It would take a very, very long time to go from concept to the screen, and most series don't get picked up. Hell, most don't even get to be made into a pilot. Just because you'd like to see it doesn't mean all the steps in the process would go smoothly. Not to mention it doesn't mean Purcell would find time, interest, and a satisfying concept for an adaptation.

Anyway, Sam & Max has always just been a very small amount of content for its fanbase's size.. If you've been a fan of the series since before the first Telltale season, you probably know what I mean. If you were a fan before Hit the Road, you definitely know what I mean.

The stuff we get tends to feel few and far between, but compared to most series, it's pretty insanely large. That's why we got to play three(!) different seasons that came out in just four years. That's pretty impressive. Especially considering no other telltale series even got a second season. The love is what got us from comics to games to tv to more games. But it's still just a cult-hit, and you guys seem to expect things to pump out of the franchise like it's Simpsons big. Although to be honest, not even that could come out with the volume of stuff some posters seem to expect.

I'm sure this isn't the end of the franchise, or even the Telltale series, but let's be realistic, you know? Maybe we'll get the season 3 soundtrack, but the earliest season 4 could possibly come would probably be more than a year, considering all the games telltale's got lined up. Personally, I'm hoping that we get to see the remaining pages of the infamous Max-gets-shot comic someday.

(Also, just to squash out the remaining hope, there's never going to be a poker night dlc with new characters)

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Also theres no Santa.
  • edited October 2011
    ....wow thx for killing joy and anticipation
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2011
    wellgolly wrote: »
    The love is what got us from comics to games to tv to more games.

Wait, did you write anything else?
  • edited October 2011
    alik44 wrote: »
    ....wow thx for killing joy and anticipation

you're lucky i'm here to free you from all that "hopes and dreams" crap
  • edited October 2011
    you're lucky i'm here to free you from all that "hopes and dreams" crap

:(

That really hurt, you know that?

And seriously, nothing is going to ever stop people on this forum from ever asking for those things, no matter how many "let's be realistic here" posts there are. Heck, I'm still going to be asking for them!
  • edited October 2011
    This is a forum for fans. We don't post about it because we think it's probable (or even possible) that these things will happen. We post about it because we're fans. It's harmless fun.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm sorry, are you from Telltale? Do you know exactly what they're going to do, release, plan and do next?

This is a forum for speculating, which is what we do.
  • edited October 2011
    Shyguy wrote: »
    This is a forum for speculating, which is what we do.

And the best way to ensure something happens Sam & Max-wise is by making clear that there's demand for it.
  • edited October 2011
    It seems like most of the threads in this subforum are either speculation or suggestions about where to take the franchise from here. Just on the front page alone, there's:
    • Someone planning to sell Purcell's concept to Adult Swim for a new series somehow
    • Anticipation for some kind of release for the 25th anniversary of the franchise

Guys, none of this will happen. Ever. The only exception being the possibility of Steve Purcell drawing a little something on his blog, and a Telltale sale.

First off, things don't work this way. The sheer force of willpower alone can't create things. For the sake of an example, let's talk about the new TV series hopes. Pitching a new show would require tons of work, that a man who already has another demanding job simply can't do. It would take a very, very long time to go from concept to the screen, and most series don't get picked up. Hell, most don't even get to be made into a pilot. Just because you'd like to see it doesn't mean all the steps in the process would go smoothly. Not to mention it doesn't mean Purcell would find time, interest, and a satisfying concept for an adaptation.

Anyway, Sam & Max has always just been a very small amount of content for its fanbase's size.. If you've been a fan of the series since before the first Telltale season, you probably know what I mean. If you were a fan before Hit the Road, you definitely know what I mean.

The stuff we get tends to feel few and far between, but compared to most series, it's pretty insanely large. That's why we got to play three(!) different seasons that came out in just four years. That's pretty impressive. Especially considering no other telltale series even got a second season. The love is what got us from comics to games to tv to more games. But it's still just a cult-hit, and you guys seem to expect things to pump out of the franchise like it's Simpsons big. Although to be honest, not even that could come out with the volume of stuff some posters seem to expect.

I'm sure this isn't the end of the franchise, or even the Telltale series, but let's be realistic, you know? Maybe we'll get the season 3 soundtrack, but the earliest season 4 could possibly come would probably be more than a year, considering all the games telltale's got lined up. Personally, I'm hoping that we get to see the remaining pages of the infamous Max-gets-shot comic someday.

(Also, just to squash out the remaining hope, there's never going to be a poker night dlc with new characters)

well let me be a killjoy to u first telltale listons to what the fans want so that puts the chances of new sam & max stuff bigger and when u think about it sam and max was telltales first full season and one big break for them and u really think they will treat them like dirt? plus telltale has proven to put loads of work into their sam and max games.
  • edited October 2011
    This is a forum ... to have conversations... I see no harm in conversing things that will never happen...

Also... Dogs and Rabbity things will never really be freelance police either.
  • edited October 2011
    I like to speculate, myself. I also like seeing works from the fandom, and although this forum has become scarcely populated, I have moved to tumblr where they're more active. I keep checking it, however.

It's not like we're going to slit our wrists if nothing happens in a long time. And I think your outlook is excessively pessimist. Sam and Max is a very healthy franchise, and the work they have done in its seasons is STILL the best they have done for any of their licenses.

I have to be honest: I'm not holding my breath on the season 3 soundtrack. Maybe Telltale doesn't deem it marketable because it's more atmospheric and less wacky than the previous two. However, that doesn't mean it's not getting done, or that it's not getting marketed together with Season Four's someday.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm willing to wait for the good stuff.
  • edited October 2011
    Hey, there's still a L&O:LA forum.... anything is possible :P While, no, I'm not holding my breath on season 4, it will happen. Considering the attention the new licences are achieving, Sam & Max will probably be put on the backburner....but they'll be back.
  • edited October 2011
    lattsam wrote: »
    :(

That really hurt, you know that?

Oh don't worry Tales of Monkey Island was noting but a hopeless dream years ago. So the cliche anything an happen is true.

EDIT: This is a total dick thread. To tell fans to stop hoping on a thread for fans of the series. If you feel big systematically taking apart fans hopes and dreams then putting them down for wanting new games/TV shows then I hope this was worth it.

I hope no one takes reads this and stops hoping or dreaming or imagining what they want from the series. I myself am hoping against hope for a MI (preferably CMI) release for the 3DS.
  • edited October 2011
    I think maybe you're taking me a bit more seriously than I meant? I realize you know I was kidding about the hopes and dreams thing, I just mean about the harshness of it.

There's nothing wrong with speculating and hoping, it's just that a lot of it seems to venture into unrealistic territory. I'm feeling super optimistic about a season 4 in the future, I just thought a lot of threads were pretty much people setting themselves up for disappointment. So I made one saying, "hey, let's face it: we're almost definitely not gonna see a sam and max movie, but we've got tons of stuff in the meantime, so let's just take it easy."

I suppose the simpsons comment was kinda mean though, sorry.

Anywho, This isn't how I feel big! I do that by kicking sand castles and teasing children.
  • edited October 2011
    F*king killjoy
  • edited October 2011
    Were this Facebook or Google+, you would have just earned a heart-felt Like and/or +1 from me, OP.

The only thing that realistically might ever happen is a 4th season of the game or more comics from Purcell.

All these posts about everything are just so... out there.

Telltale Games isn't going to make a movie or an animated series. Telltale Games is Telltale GAMES.

Telltale Games isn't going to resurrect Freelance Police. Why do that when you can make your own game? Besides, they obviously want to stretch their legs and do other stuff and I don't blame them for that. I'd love another Sam and Max, but if I worked for Telltale I'd be psyched to have the chance to do something like King's Quest or the Walking Dead.

The Adult Swim pitch thread was particularly hilarious.
  • edited October 2011
    Sam & Max will always surprise! You never know what will happen
  • edited October 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    Nothing's "officially planned" until it's "officially announced." As usual, why jump to conclusions? I can't talk about things which don't officially exist.

RIP Jump To Conclusions Mat smiley.
  • edited October 2011

When you say 'none of this will happen' and include season 4 speculation and suggestion, are you saying that you don't think a season 4 will ever happen or what people say they want in season 4 will never happen? It's a little ambiguous.

Also I don't think we can completely rule out some kind of release for the 25th anniversary. I mean there might be nothing but there might be something too, we won't know that one till we get there. Otherwise I agree that pretty much everything else on the list is far-fetched.
  • edited October 2011
    Okay, there's a lotta stuff to respond to, so lemme do it bit by bit. Hopefully it won't be as annoying a post as I think it might be.
    When you say 'none of this will happen' and include season 4 speculation and suggestion,

When I said (speculation and) suggestion, I meant to just refer to the suggestion. I put the rest in parenthesis to just acknowledge what I was excluding. The suggestion thing seems a bit odd to me, I imagine there'd be legal issues. Then again, TF2.
    are you saying that you don't think a season 4 will ever happen or what people say they want in season 4 will never happen? It's a little ambiguous.

Nah, when I was saying I was sure this isn't the end of the Telltale series, I meant I feel pretty sure there's a season 4 coming EVENTUALLY, not like just the soundtrack and another poster two years later. I'm super optimistic about it! :,)
    Also I don't think we can completely rule out some kind of release for the 25th anniversary. I mean there might be nothing but there might be something too, we won't know that one till we get there. Otherwise I agree that pretty much everything else on the list is far-fetched.

I think you're right on this, actually. Maybe the soundtrack or ipad versions are coming then?

(in case you can't tell, i want the soundtrack :[)
  • edited October 2011
    When I said (speculation and) suggestion, I meant to just refer to the suggestion. I put the rest in parenthesis to just acknowledge what I was excluding. The suggestion thing seems a bit odd to me, I imagine there'd be legal issues.

That's actually a really good point. If someone were to send a script they wrote to a television show they love the people who work on the show wouldn't even be allowed to open the package. This is because if they use a single plot point or quote from the fan-written script in a later episode, even if they weren't really plagiarising it and it was just a total coincidence, the fan could then turn around and sue the producers of the show. I'm not sure if it's the same for an idea written down in a forum but something tells me the Telltale writers don't spend their nights browsing the forums looking for their ideas.
    (in case you can't tell, i want the soundtrack :[)

Yeah, its a shame it doesn't look like they are producing soundtracks any more. Last one they did was for S&M Season 2 I think :(
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2011

What did I say about that mat! Seriously.
  • edited October 2011
    in case you can't tell, i want the soundtrack :[

I just remembered, we have a petition of sorts for a soundtrack to TDP.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2011
    mikey485 wrote: »
    All i really want for the 25th anniversary is a new surfing the highway collection including the big sleep and the two sketch books.

Ohhhh and don't forget to put transparent pages with the speech bubbles into "The big sleep" to get the same feeling as in the online version. :D
  • edited October 2011
    You have to admit it was an awesome feature, though. Something far more web comics should utilise :)
  • edited October 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    This is a forum ... to have conversations... I see no harm in conversing things that will never happen...

Not if I have anything to say about it.
  • edited October 2011
    Dogs and Rabbity things will never really be freelance police either.

You're right, of course. The whole idea is frankly absurd. I mean, "Freelance Police". It's a contradiction in terms. Obviously, all the dogs and rabbity things will have to get other jobs. :(
  • edited October 2011
    Not if I have anything to say about it.

Do you?
  • edited October 2011

Yeah, because THAT would be REALLY ridiculous. :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2011

You where a little bit hasty when you posted this, dude. No offence meant, cos I agree with you, but you know how forums work, your lucky you haven't been flamed like no tomorrow.

Having said that, I 100% agree with you. I can see something happening for the anniversary but in all honesty I don't see a Sam and Max season 4 until late 2012 at the absolute earliest (I think it will be 2013 but that's just me).
  • edited November 2011
    I don't understand the point of this thread. What, you expect (probably correctly) that a lot of this stuff will never happen, so why bother talking / rallying / dreaming / sharing the love? When did dreaming become a bad thing? Who said we had to be realistic?
    I smell a troll.
  • edited November 2011
    Overture wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of this thread. What, you expect (probably correctly) that a lot of this stuff will never happen, so why bother talking / rallying / dreaming / sharing the love? When did dreaming become a bad thing? Who said we had to be realistic?
    I smell a troll.

Welcome to the internet. Trolls are everywhere on the internet.

Join the club.
  • edited November 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Do you?

I'm working on it.
  • edited November 2011
    There is always room for hope :
    You may not like it but we got Indiana Jones 4 (arg!) and we will get Ghostbusters 3 (yeah!).
    I also await Fables and Walking Dead but why not a day of the tentacle 2?
    I am always amazed by the stories and ideas behind Sam & Max, they are quite unique and very different from any other adventure game.
    I want a season 4 in 2014 at the latest! :D
  • edited November 2011
    don't worry i will try do all the stuff!
  • edited November 2011
    grouik wrote: »
    I also await Fables and Walking Dead but why not a day of the tentacle 2?

Probably because since the change in leadership at LucasArts, they don't have the same partnership with Telltale that they used to. As much as I hate to say it we're probably not even going to get a second season of Tales of Monkey Island, let alone continuations of other LucasArts franchises.
  • edited November 2011
    That kind of thinking bothers me ("It will never happen so stop talking about it!"). I've lurked here for some time and while I do agree that most theories are farfetched and yeah we probably won't get a new show but why can't people talk about it?

It doesn't really matter if what you think should happen will happen. I think people talk about this stuff because they want to know if someone else shares their opinion or swap ideas and predictions. Its all a part of being a community, you want to know what others are thinking even if its totally wrong. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I will never feel happiness again because of this post.

I thought you should know that.
  • edited December 2011
    telltale listons to what the fans want

Really? Because I wanted BttF and JP to be adventure games.
  • edited December 2011
    I think your prospects too pessimistic commentators. Sam and Max is a very healthy franchise, and, in its season, the work they do is still the best, they have no license.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.