52 Reasons Why BACK TO THE FUTURE Might Just be the Greatest Film of all Time

OMAOMA
edited October 2011 in Back to the Future
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been posted before but, even though it doesn't say anything new about the movies, I thought it's a nice BTTF related article ;)

http://whatculture.com/film/52-reasons-why-back-to-the-future-might-just-be-the-greatest-film-of-all-time.php

Comments

• edited October 2011
    This article is pretty badly written, though I suppose any article claiming "Back to the Future" is somehow the greatest ever made couldn't possibly stand up to actual film criticism. Many of the points have to do with ancillary events, like the ride and the sequels(so is it the worst film ever due to the cartoon? No, wait, apparently the shit cartoon is part of why it's the greatest...), and a startlingly small number of them have to do with the film itself at all. When it does, sparingly, actually bring up aspects of the film, very few of them end up being expanded upon more than "I like this thing because it is great, the thing is great and I like it, they did a good thing doing this thing that I think is great and that I like". See: Re-casting Marty, DeLorean, etc. The rest is rounded out with "lol, jokes are funny".
  • Can a sequel make a film better? Not really although it can improve it's legacy which is part of the point;

meant as a stand alone film, it was too successful to be left alone.

I'm biased because at this point in my life I'm pretty much positive when I die the 3 films I'll have seen the most will all have 'back to the future' in the title. That being said even though the second is my favourite, the first is truly a genius film; every single scene in the first half an hour becomes important later in the film in some way. And it's really become a landmark for the time travel genre. google "best time travel movies" and you'll find that every working link on the first page (except for one which doesn't have rankings) ranks BTTF as #1.
  • edited October 2011
    This scene is typical of the clever alternate time zone pop culture references that pepper the whole ‘Back to the Future’ trilogy – the use of Charlie rather than Chuck and the fact that Marvin’s surname is Berry, means this not an obvious reference to everyone but it’s very well done all the same.

What?! Marvin says, "Chuck? Chuck! It's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry!"
  • edited October 2011
    Reason 23. It was made in the 80’s.
    Let’s be honest, all the best stuff is from the 80’s.

I was going to write this as a joke, then I saw it was actually in there :eek: I mean wow, this makes me think this whole piece is actually sarcasm.

Also, it's '80s, not 80's, just to show that the person who wrote this knows as little about punctuation as he does about making a credible argument. (I'm probably being too harsh here but oh well.)
  • edited October 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    I was going to write this as a joke, then I saw it was actually in there :eek: I mean wow, this makes me think this whole piece is actually sarcasm.

Also, it's '80s, not 80's, just to show that the person who wrote this knows as little about punctuation as he does about making a credible argument. (I'm probably being too harsh here but oh well.)

Well, he also spelled tires as "tyres" and added an extra T to the OUTATIME when describing the license plate. Also, one of his reasons is missing a description and is just numbered, and he repeats the Darth Vader thing for no reason.

One reason I would add is that, unlike some franchises, Back to the Future's creator hasn't gone in and f***ed it up. I think that's one of the reasons Back to the Future is my favorite franchise. Yes, I even count the cartoon.
  • edited October 2011
    Well, he also spelled tires as "tyres" and added an extra T to the OUTATIME when describing the license plate. Also, one of his reasons is missing a description and is just numbered, and he repeats the Darth Vader thing for no reason.

One reason I would add is that, unlike some franchises, Back to the Future's creator hasn't gone in and f***ed it up. I think that's one of the reasons Back to the Future is my favorite franchise. Yes, I even count the cartoon.

Tyre is the UK spelling, Tire is the American.

My fav on the list has to be 43. Uncle Joey, the way he references the baby wearing a black and white striped top like a prison uniform alongside a picture of the baby where you can CLEARLY see its blue, not black.
  • edited October 2011
    No matter how many times you see it, there’s still that moment of doubt that the good Doctor won’t re-connect the wires in time to harness the lightning into the DeLorean to send Marty “back to the future” but alas he always does and all’s well again.

Does "alas" have a different meaning in British English? This guy seems to be rooting awfully hard for Doc to plummet to his death for someone who treasures the film so.
  • edited October 2011
    I dont know guys, I think BTTF is easily one of the best movies of all time. Not THE best movie tho. If I had to pick the best, most revolutionary movie of all time I must say in all honesty taht it would be Jurassic Park. It made so many changes to CGI and made way for so many breakthroughs in movies, in games (Trespasser), and more.
  • edited October 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    If I had to pick the best, most revolutionary movie of all time I must say in all honesty taht it would be Jurassic Park.

Hmm.... y'know cinema existed for about a hundred years before "Jurassic Park" came out, right? Surely there's *something*? "Citizen Kane"? "Sunset Bvd"? "An American Tale 2 - Fievel Goes West"?!

(Actually, I prefer the black & white "The Lost World" from the 1920s. OK, so it gets a bit dull in the middle, but nobody reacted to Spielburg's dinosaurs with the same amazement and enthusiasm as they did to Conan Doyle's!)
  • edited October 2011
    I'd like to note that, while at least Back to the Future was NOMINATED for AFI's top 100 movies of all time list(it didn't make the cut), Jurassic Park didn't even make the top 400. Obviously the opinions of the AFI are not everyone's opinion, nor is their ruling law. All the same, when a group of respected film critics who KNOW their film history and the language of film very well try and find the top 100 AMERICAN films of all time(excluding the rest of the world's output!), and yours falls south of number 100 or(in Jurassic Park's case) south of number 400, maybe you should consider that maybe your thought process on the matter has been something less than thorough.
  • edited October 2011
    but nobody reacted to Spielburg's dinosaurs with the same amazement and enthusiasm as they did to Conan Doyle's!)

I'm not arguing that it's the best movie ever or anything, but when Jurassic Park came out, "holy shit look at the dinosaurs!" was pretty much the major selling point.
  • edited October 2011
    mikey485 wrote: »
    Citizen Kane and the Godfather are the greatest movies ever made

Are you sure? I was thinking that it was Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.
  • edited October 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    Are you sure? I was thinking that it was Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.

Agreed. The undeniable charisma of the actors, the breathtaking sets, the comedically gifted dialogue; truly that is cinema's finest creation.
  • edited October 2011
    mikey485 wrote: »
    just two more posts......

Until what? :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2011
    Until what? :rolleyes:

Smooth, very smooth :cool:

I'm guessing I'm probably next in line to hit quadruple digits, unless I go on another one of my prolonged, unexplained absences...
  • edited October 2011
    Pff, quadruple is so 2009. Everyone's about the race to quintuple digits now.
  • edited October 2011
    God damn it, I thought I was so close to becoming one of the cool kids. Now I'm so bummed I'm going to go on another one of my prolonged, unexplained absences! :D
  • edited October 2011
    Pff, quadruple is so 2009. Everyone's about the race to quintuple digits now.

You mean that I can't be one of the popular kids now? Damn it, this is middle school all over again.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.