Collection of Sam and Max Easter Eggs?

edited October 2011 in Sam & Max
I was looking around the Sam and Max forums and I could only find separate threads for individual easer eggs. Think we could form a compendium of them?

I found this one I couldn't find a thread for:

On the bulletin board in the office, you see a paper bag max head.
Picture

This is a reference to the cartoon series sketch "Artsy Craftsy bit of Time Wasting Nonsense" that can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8S1z53BnU

Doubt I'm first to notice it though =P

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Throughout Season One, there's a cardboard box sitting in the office labelled "03-03-04." Clicking on it makes Sam remark "I remember that case. Particularly gruesome." LucasArts officially announced the cancellation of Freelance Police on March 3rd, 2004.

Jesse James' hand is also in the office, an obvious reference to Hit the Road. Using the carbon dater on it in 104 reveals that the hand is fourteen years old. Abe Lincoln Must Die came out fourteen years after Hit the Road.

A poster of the Human Enigma is on the bulletin board. The Human Enigma first appeared in the comic "Night of the Cringing Wildebeest," then later in Hit the Road.

Two pictures are on the left wall of the office. One of them shows them on the moon with paper bags on their head (an obvious reference to the comic "Bad Day on the Moon," later adapted into an episode of the cartoon), while another shows them on a motorcycle (Sam remarks "Remember our road trip across America, Max?"), which is a little less clear. While the obvious reference is Hit the Road, they rode their trusty DeSoto then, not a motorcycle. It could possibly be a reference to a Sam and Max comic published in The Adventurer (LucasArts' old newsletter), where in a parody of Full Throttle they became bikers. But that's pretty obscure.

For a non-office example, in 105 Bosco's 2.0 has a sign that says "Drink Cheap, Evil-Smelling Beer Every Day Of Your Life." A similar sign appeared in either Bad Day on the Moon or On the Road (can't remember which comic). And of course, Cheap Evil-Smelling Beer is the recommended brand for playing Fizzball with.

In Hit the Road, the layout of Sam and Max's street looked like this.

Hit_the_Road_street.png

Sam and Max's office is right next to a store called Bosco's (advertising Gun, Liquor, and Baby Needs) and across the street from a restaurant called "Really Bad Food." Season 1 doesn't follow this layout, but after the Maimtron's rampage in 201 the layout is changed to how it appeared in Hit the Road. Sam and Max's office is now right next to Bosco's (which advertises "Gun, Liquor, Baby Needs" when you go back to the 60s in 204), and is across the street from Stinky's, which serves really bad food.

There's more, but these are the ones that spring to mind right now.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2011
    For a non-office example, in 105 Bosco's 2.0 has a sign that says "Drink Cheap, Evil-Smelling Beer Every Day Of Your Life." A similar sign appeared in either Bad Day on the Moon or On the Road (can't remember which comic). And of course, Cheap Evil-Smelling Beer is the recommended brand for playing Fizzball with.

It also included the "Carbonated sugar-water: Makes kids jump around!" ad, also from one of the comics.

The Skinbodies theme is meant to recall the Wak-A-Rat theme from Hit the Road (though for legal reasons its not an exact duplicate).

There's an episode with chimps, babies, and an evil fish, but they're weirdly not Commander Blip, the Rubber Pants Commandos, or Mack Salmon.

Sam & Max as kids isn't a particular reference, though they first appeared in the comic Terror on the Tanbark, and were also in at least one episode of the cartoons, before showing up in Moai Better Blues.
  • In 301, by the Pawn shop there is a sign to the right that says something about scoggins (don't remember what it says). This is a referance to another telltale franchise, Puzzle agent, which takes place in Scoggins Minnesota. The sign even has a person in the drawing style of Graham Anabelle.

• versacebabeversacebabe Banned
    edited August 2015

There's an office one I can remember which is actually an error rather than a reference. Max has an ant farm instead of a roach farm like in Hit The Road.

• Oh and Max uses Charlie Ho-Tep on the jukebox and starts singing "I remember my childhood in Brighton...." and Sam's like "Max no!" lol

Sign in to comment in this discussion.