A S&M/TF2 question for the Telltale Team.

edited October 2011 in Sam & Max
Hey. Apologies for bothering you with this, especially since it's only partially on-topic, but I thought I should ask.

As I'm sure you know, Max's Severed Head (and to a lesser extent the Big Kill) is something of a controversial subject in the TF2 community due to its value. A lot of people are demanding that all the old TF2 promo items (with particular emphasis on the Sam and Max set) become widely available through drops/crafting/the store. Anyway, if anyone at Telltale's reading this, I have two questions.

1. If something like this were to happen, would it constitute a breach of contract? Presumably you and Valve had some sort of agreement to bring the Sam and Max items into being. Did the agreement specify they could only be available for a limited time, or anything such as that?

2. Would you personally want to see such a thing happen? Would you only allow it under certain conditions (e.g.: a portion of all profits from these items in the Mann Co. Store must go to Telltale), or would you outright refuse the idea? Or do you not have any sort of say in the matter, and what Valve does with TF2's items is purely their decision?

Just curious. If anyone takes the time to answer, thanks for your help.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Wouldn't having the Sam and Max items available to everyone simply advertise them more?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2011
    I am personally glad that the Sam & Max TF2 items are rare. I cannot deny that I think it's cool that the items from our game are comedically rare and sought after.

That said, I do like that the Quake and Deus Ex items are also in the MannCo Store. I think that if the Mann-Conomy was around when we did our items, they would be in the store as well. That said, when we did that item deal, I'm pretty sure the notion of monetizing the items, or giving them to TF2 players in drops was never discussed (because the MannCo store didnt exist then), so I'm sure somewhere there would have to be discussion. Though I'm sure its not anywhere near as complicated as some of the bigger modern crossover events, I doubt its as easy as "just put them in the store / just put them as drops," so that's outside my sphere of knowledge/pay grade to speculate on.
  • edited October 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    I am personally glad that the Sam & Max TF2 items are rare. I cannot deny that I think it's cool that the items from our game are comedically rare and sought after.

That said, I do like that the Quake and Deus Ex items are also in the MannCo Store. I think that if the Mann-Conomy was around when we did our items, they would be in the store as well. That said, when we did that item deal, I'm pretty sure the notion of monetizing the items, or giving them to TF2 players in drops was never discussed (because the MannCo store didnt exist then), so I'm sure somewhere there would have to be discussion. Though I'm sure its not anywhere near as complicated as some of the bigger modern crossover events, I doubt its as easy as "just put them in the store / just put them as drops," so that's outside my sphere of knowledge/pay grade to speculate on.

Gotcha. Thanks for the response. :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2011
    Gotcha. Thanks for the response. :)

It was more of a non-answer than I was intending but you're welcome :)
  • edited October 2011
    I think the problem with re-introducing the S&M promotional items is that it would eliminate the value of the existing ones. The S&M set are some of the most sought after items in TF2. Even if you made them Genuine, players would still be mad that they spent 120+ dollars on a green title.

Also, as Jake said, Telltale probably loves the fact that their items are the rarest in the game and people are willing to spend 3 times as much as the game it's based on for these hats.

With that being said, I hope Telltale/Valve can find a way to make these items more available. I'm quite a fan of Sam & Max, and it sorta rubs me the wrong way that people want these hats due to rarity rather than them actually liking the hat/game it's from. Plus, I REALLY want my own Max's Severed Head.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.