Back to the future FINAL timeline (including Game)

edited October 2011 in Back to the Future
Having gone through the game again, I have now come up with a comprehensive final timeline for the ENTIRE BTTF franchise, including the movies AND the Game.

This timeline includes events which DEFINITELY occured (or were likely to have occured) in the final timeline as of the end of Episode 5. Events in alternate timelines/erased timelines in the movies and the game, aren't included (though, if time travelers arrived from those timelines, then they will be mentioned). I will also not really focus much on the time traveler's memories, and which timeline they are originating from, unless such info is necessary to understand the timeline.

Anyways, here goes-

-Sometime in May or June of this year (possibly earlier), Edna Strickland arrives from 1931 in a stolen Delorean and makes a nuisance of herself in Hill Valley, earning the ire of Beauregard Tannen.
-July 17th-Edna attempts to burn down Tannen's tavern. Marty and Doc arrive (from the alternate 'Burnt Hill Valley' 1931) in their Delorean and prevent her from doing so. After a chase, they forcibly transport Edna and her Delorean back to 1931.

-January 1st-Doc arrives from 1955, and discovers that the lightining has disabled the Delorean. He spends the next 8 months as a blacksmith, attempting to repair the damage, while earning the ire of Bufford Tannen.
-September 1st-Doc has buried the Delorean in the Delgado Mine and sends a letter to Marty through Western Union.
-September 2nd-Marty arrives in 1885, from 1955.
-September 3rd-Marty and Doc meet up and Marty warns Doc of his impending death at Tannen's hands, showing him the photograph of the tombstone.
-September 4th-Doc saves Clara and falls in love with her
-September 5th-At the Town Festival, Marty saves Doc from being shot by Bufford. They take a photograph at the inaugration of the Clock Tower.
-September 6th-Doc tells Clara he is a time travel; he gets drunk
-September 7th-Marty faces off against Bufford and defeats him. Marty then returns to 1985 while Doc and Clara stay behind.

1885-1895

-At some point, Shonash Ravine is renamed Eastwood Ravine.
-Doc and Clara get married and have two children, Jules and Verne.
-By around 1895, Doc completes the train time machine, and returns to the future, with his family. Eventually, he decides to relocate the family to the 1980's altogether, owing to his desire to return to managing his late father's foundation.

-At some point in May or early June, Doc (from the 'original' timeline as off the end of BTTF3) arrives in 1931 and assumes the identity of 'Carl Sagan'. His intent is presumably to discover the truth about Marty's grandmother Sylvia, for the book he's writing on the McFly family, but he gets sidetracked by the mystery of the speakeasy fire. He is framed by Edna, and arrested. Einstien gets into the Delorean after stealing Edna's shoe, and the auto-retrieval feature sends him and the car back to 1986.
-Presumably, the Doc of the final timeline ALSO arrives at some point in another Delorean, with a similar motive vis a vi Marty's grandmother, but doesn't get sidetracked by the speakeasy fire, since in his timeline, it was never a mystery. He safely returns to 1986.
-June 13th-Marty arrives from 1986 and enlists the aid of teenage Emmett Brown to break Original Doc/'Carl Sagan' out of jail. While he and Emmett work on the rocket drill, a SECOND Marty arrives from later that day to rescue his grandfather, Arthur McFly, from Kid Tannen's goons. The first Marty succeeds in breaking Doc out of jail before Kid Tannen kills him, and the second Marty succeeds in saving Arthur. The first Marty decides to travel back a few hours, possibly to retrieve Einstien, since he and Doc realise that Einstien is missing. When this Marty travels back, he is replaced by the version of Marty who remembers reading the newspaper article about Arthur McFly being beaten to death. Marty and Doc then use the Delorean to return to 1986, after telling Arthur to go into hiding.
-August 25th-Marty and Doc arrive from an alternate 1986 (ruled by Kid Tannen) and set about manipulating events to ensure that Kid Tannen is brought to justice. In the process, young Emmett falls in love with Edna Strickland and does not see Frankenstien. Marty and Doc return to 1986, and Original Doc and Einstien are erased from existence at this point, as they are shunted into the alternate timeline of 'Citizen Brown'.
-October 12th-Marty and Citizen Brown arrive from the alternate 1986. Marty attempts to break up Emmett and Edna's relationship and succeeds, while FCB is trying to destroy his younger self's interest in science.
-October 13th-Marty succeeds in ensuring that young Emmett's experiment at the Expo is a success. His arbitration leads to a much better relationship between Emmett and his father. FCB is erased from existence, and Edna steals the Delorean. Doc (of the final timeline) arrives in 1931, having seen the newspaper clipping he received from Marty as young Emmett. Edna travels back to 1931 and Marty and Doc fade from existence (because they have been shunted into an alternate 1931). Later that night, Marty, Doc and Edna all return and Edna's Delorean (the Delorean of the Original Doc) is erased. Marty learns that Trixie Trotter is actually his grandmother Sylvia. Marty and Doc then return to the future. Edna is imprisoned, along with Kid Tannen.

1931-1955

-George McFly is born to Arthur and Sylvia in 1938. Biff is also born, to Kid Tannen and an unknown woman.
-At some point, Edna and Kid Tannen fall in love, while in prison together.
-Judge Brown dies...owing to the close relationship between them, Emmett runs a Foundation in his memory. Emmett also fully establishes himself as a scientist.

-November 5th-Marty arrives from 1985, and prevents the first meeting between his parents (as it happened in his timeline). He meets Doc. Doc may or may not recognise him as the Marty he'd met back in 1931. In any case, Doc discovers that he built the time machine in 1985. He devises the plan to send Marty back to the future.
-Marty spends the week trying to get his parents together.
-November 8th-Biff Tannen crashes into the manure truck.
-November 12th-Early in the morning, a second Marty and Doc arrive from the alternate 'Hell Valley' 1985 to prevent young Biff from getting the Almanac. Old Biff arrives later in the day and gives young Biff the Almanac. The first Marty tries to get his parents together at the dance, while the second Marty tries to get the book from Biff. George and Lorraine fall in love, ensuring Marty's existence. The second Marty gets the book from Biff but it is stolen back. Marty succeeds in stealing the Almanac back from Biff and burning it. '85 Doc however, is struck by lightning and sent back to 1885 (while a temporal duplicate of the Delorean is sent to 2025). Marty receives the letter from Western Union. In the meantime, '55 Doc sends the first Marty back to the future and faints on seeing the second Marty.
-November 13th-14th-Marty tells Doc about his older self being trapped in the past. They uncover the Delorean buried in the Delgado Mine. Marty goes to the library to look up Doc's fate and discovers the photo of him and Doc by the Clocktower taken in 1885.
-November 16th-Having realised that he was 'meant' to go back to 1885, Marty travels back in the repaired Delorean. When he travels back, he is replaced by the version of Marty who remembered seeing Doc's tombstone in 1955.

1955-1985

-Doc spends the next thirty years constructing the Delorean, though he presumably now has a head-start, having rebuilt the time circuits already in 1955. In 1962, the Brown Mansion burns down, and Doc moves into his garage. He wins a civic award in 1983.
-At some point, Doc pieces together and reads the letter Marty gave him in 1955 about his impending death at the hands of the Libyans.
-Sometime in the 1980's, Marty meets Doc for the first time (from his POV). Doc of course knows this is the same Marty from 1955 but he may or may not have guessed this is his old friend from 1931.
-Kid Tannen and Edna may have gotten married in this period...both having reformed. Edna is now on friendly terms with her ex-boyfriend Emmett Brown.

-October 26th-Doc carries out the first temporal experiment at Lone Pine Mall. The Libyans attack, but Doc survives thanks to his bulletproof vest. Marty travels back to 1955 accidentally. The 'second' Marty, who arrived from 1955 ten minutes earlier, rushes to the mall to discover that Doc is alive. Doc then takes the Delorean and travels to 2015. The next morning, Doc returns from 2015 and takes Marty and Jennifer to the future.
-October 27th-Early in the morning, Jennifer fades INTO existence on her porch, having been phased back into the normal timeline when the alternate 'Hell Valley' timeline was erased. Ditto for Einstien. At 11 am, Marty arrives from 1885 and the Delorean is destroyed. Marty chooses NOT to race Needles, thus erasing his bad future. Doc, Clara and the kids arrive in the train to visit Marty and Jennifer, and then leave.

-At some point, Doc, Clara and the kids settle down in 1986 for good. They presumably purchase another house, though Doc still maintains the lab for experimental purposes. Doc continues to run his father's foundation.
-May 14th-While Marty is hanging out at the Brown's garage sale, Original Doc's Delorean arrives owing to the auto retrieval feature. Using Edna's shoe, Marty tracks down Edna and reads the newspaper article about 'Carl Sagan' escaping from jail. Realising that SOME version of Doc is in trouble, Marty travels back to 1931. When he does so, he is replaced by the version of Marty who read about Carl Sagan being shot dead, and more importantly, who is from a timeline where Doc DIDN'T return to the 1980's.
-While at the Key to the City ceremony, final timeline Doc reads the newspaper clipping his old friend Marty had given him back in 1931. Realising that both Marty's are one and the same, Doc travels back to the day of the Expo in his Delorean to pick up Marty.
-May 15th-Marty and Doc return from 1931, and are almost immediately confronted by the conundrum of three alternate Marty's from the future!

-Doc, Clara and the kids arrive from 1885 in the time train. Doc has the train hover-converted. After learning about Marty's improved future, they travel back to 1985 to meet teenage Marty and retrieve Einstien.

-On one of his travels in the time train, Doc discovers the temporal duplicate of the Delorean created when lightining struck it in 1955. After making necessary repair/upgrades, including the auto retrieval feature, Doc takes the Delorean back with him to 1986 and uses it for further time travels.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    It was only the other day watching the movie I realised Shonash Ravine became Eastwood Ravine as Marty, as far as the 1885 folks are concerned, plummeted over it in the train to his death under the alias of Clint Eastwood. Marty basically usurped Clara's place as they one who crashed into the ravine.
  • You ignored the 2015 time travel (although I guess it's up in the air what happens now).

Just some minor tidbits;
    -it's not confirmed how the train gets the hover conversion. It's likely they went to the future (year undetermined) but not guaranteed. Doc is a scientist and obviously had interest in flying vehicles from a young age so I'd bet he looked into it the first time he was in 2015 to see how flying vehicles work so it's possible he was able to create the hover conversion himself in the 1800s (especially with a hoverboard at his disposal).
    -You should put the temporal duplicate as 2025/2026. It's possible it's whirled 70 years into the future until 2025 but the one sent to the past went 70 years, 10 months and 11 days into the past so if the other one went an equal distance into the future it would be roughly September 2026.
    -biff is born in 1937 as he celebrates his 21st birthday in 1958
    -is it confirmed Judge Brown is dead by 1955? He definitely is by 1986.
  • edited October 2011
    You ignored the 2015 time travel (although I guess it's up in the air what happens now).

Just some minor tidbits;
    -it's not confirmed how the train gets the hover conversion. It's likely they went to the future (year undetermined) but not guaranteed. Doc is a scientist and obviously had interest in flying vehicles from a young age so I'd bet he looked into it the first time he was in 2015 to see how flying vehicles work so it's possible he was able to create the hover conversion himself in the 1800s (especially with a hoverboard at his disposal).
    -You should put the temporal duplicate as 2025/2026. It's possible it's whirled 70 years into the future until 2025 but the one sent to the past went 70 years, 10 months and 11 days into the past so if the other one went an equal distance into the future it would be roughly September 2026.
    -biff is born in 1937 as he celebrates his 21st birthday in 1958
    -is it confirmed Judge Brown is dead by 1955? He definitely is by 1986.

All very valid points on your part.

-As far as the hover conversion goes, its enough of a stretch that he was able to build a TIME MACHINE in the 1800's...seeing as he had most certainly traveled to the future before his last trip to 1985 at the end of BTTF3, its far more likely he had the hover-conversion done there. Besides, he seems to still have the hover-board with him in Episode 5 (though I guess it could have been another one).

-Agreed. Quiet frankly, I put 2025 simply because that's the year I saw in many forums. It may well have been 2026 as well. Also, while we know the car arrived in the future in 2025/26, we don't know how much time elapsed between its arrival and Doc's discovery of it.

-I agree...I wasn't being very specific about the year there; just giving a general run-down of key events in the overall time period.

-I dunno. I assume that since Emmett seems to be living in the Brown Mansion alone in 1955, that he inherited the estate and that his parents are dead.

And you're right about the 2015 time travels. Personally I believe that by choosing NOT to race Needles, the ENTIRE future timeline we saw in BTTF2 has been erased, including the time jumps made there. Marty, Doc and Jennifer still traveled to that future and remember it (much like Marty and Doc remember other erased realities like Hell Valley), and Old Biff still arrived from that future to give his younger self the Almanac, but if one were to travel to 2015 AFTER BTTF3, one would find a totally different future, as far as the McFly family's fate is concerned.

Then again, with the whole three Marty's gag in the end, I'm REALLY not sure what's in the future for Marty!
  • edited October 2011
    Doc specifically stated that he found out about the duplicate DeLorean during a visit to 2025.

Technically speaking, the universe should have ripped itself apart a long time ago in the BttF timeline. There are unacknowledged paradoxes all over the place, such as Biff's stealing the time machine, the tombstone, the fact that Marty won't be a total loser in 2015 so his kids won't be likely to get in trouble and need Doc to intervene...and you know what? I think that's part of the fun.
  • edited October 2011
    Doc specifically stated that he found out about the duplicate DeLorean during a visit to 2025.

Technically speaking, the universe should have ripped itself apart a long time ago in the BttF timeline. There are unacknowledged paradoxes all over the place, such as Biff's stealing the time machine, the tombstone, the fact that Marty won't be a total loser in 2015 so his kids won't be likely to get in trouble and need Doc to intervene...and you know what? I think that's part of the fun.

I agree. Then again, according to the two Bobs, there isn't any paradox in the BTTF series...

Actually, I once read this online interview of Bob Gale in which someone asked him about the tombstone paradox. Gale claimed that there weren't any paradoxes, simply because every jump back to the past spawned an alternate timeline which over-wrote the original. This, combined with the fact that time travelers remember the original timeline, does serve to at least partially maintain causality, at least as far as sustaining the new timeline goes.

So, even though the timeline in which Marty saw Doc's tombstone in 1955 was erased, a Marty who saw Doc's tombstone STILL arrives in 1885 and saves Doc's life, ensuring that there will be no tombstone. This begs the question of what happens to the Marty who DIDN'T see the tombstone? Well, the best answer I can come up with to resolve that is that this Marty found ANOTHER reason to go back to 1885, and was 'merged' with 'our' Marty.

Then of course, there are all the 'alternate selves', like the various Doc in the Game, or Old Biff in BTTF2. Even if their futures are erased, their influence on the timeline as time travelers remain...as a way of preserving the causes that create the subsequent timelines.
  • Here's something I wonder;

why does 1955 Doc sent Marty to 1885 on september 2nd? Why not send him to December 31st 1884 have him wait for doc to arrive, tell him to write a letter and leave it with western union and bury the delorean?
  • edited October 2011
    Here's something I wonder;

why does 1955 Doc sent Marty to 1885 on september 2nd? Why not send him to December 31st 1884 have him wait for doc to arrive, tell him to write a letter and leave it with western union and bury the delorean?

Well...they probably thought it was simpler to just arrive the day after Doc wrote the letter and get him out of there. Remember, this is 1955 Doc who doesn't have much experiance with time travel...he probably wants to keep things simple, and Marty would just go along.
  • edited October 2011
    The game isn't canon so I wouldn't include anything related to the game in any sort of timeline. The events related to the movies are well written though and give a nice overview. But if you're going to include the events from BTTF:TG then you might as well include every fanfic story that's been written.
  • edited October 2011
    I agree the Game isn't really 100 % canon like the movies and isn't supposed to be considered a 'BTTF4' in any sense (though its arguably the closest we're ever going to get to having one)...however, seeing as it is an official licensed work which more or less directly continues after the events of the movies, and seeing as Bob Gale served as a consultant on it, I'd like to consider the Game at least semi-canon.
  • edited October 2011
    Semi-canon seems to be the best bet. An alternate version of the post-BTTF3 universe. The other version being the Animated Series.
  • sn939 wrote: »
    I agree the Game isn't really 100 % canon like the movies and isn't supposed to be considered a 'BTTF4' in any sense (though its arguably the closest we're ever going to get to having one)...however, seeing as it is an official licensed work which more or less directly continues after the events of the movies, and seeing as Bob Gale served as a consultant on it, I'd like to consider the Game at least semi-canon.
    Semi-canon seems to be the best bet. An alternate version of the post-BTTF3 universe. The other version being the Animated Series.

While Bob Gale and co claimed the animated series was not considered canon the game did seem to stay in line; Beauregard tannen was in the same era in the cartoon (he was actually in the civil war which would have been 1860's), Arthur McFly was Marty's grandfather.

Seeing as how we will likely never get another live action BTTF sequel, you can consider it BTTF part IV if you like. If there is a season 2 that will be part V. But on the off chance we ever did get another movie, it will pick up from part III. Take the ghostbusters franchise as an example; 2 films, then a video game which many considered the third part but now a third film is being made which will NOT be a sequel to the games.
  • edited October 2011
    While Bob Gale and co claimed the animated series was not considered canon the game did seem to stay in line; Beauregard tannen was in the same era in the cartoon (he was actually in the civil war which would have been 1860's), Arthur McFly was Marty's grandfather.

Seeing as how we will likely never get another live action BTTF sequel, you can consider it BTTF part IV if you like. If there is a season 2 that will be part V. But on the off chance we ever did get another movie, it will pick up from part III. Take the ghostbusters franchise as an example; 2 films, then a video game which many considered the third part but now a third film is being made which will NOT be a sequel to the games.

I think the names of Marty's grandparents were already established in the BTTF novelisation...which were written with inputs from Bob Gale. So it had nothing to do with faithfulness to the animated series.
  • Okay. Am confused.
    The original DOC disappears because he marries Edna & becomes Citizen Brown.
    When Marty succeeds in making DOC pursue his scientific hobbies, Citizen Brown disappears. Then the original DOC comes back because he remember the newspaper cutting that Marty gave him.

Now am confused. Where did that newspaper come from? And at which point did original DOC come to save Marty? Did it take place before the films... or after the films? If after the film.... when?

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited November 2015

That's not actually the original Doc, but a whole new Doc in the new timeline. Essentially, we're on the fourth Doc by the end of the game.

The first Doc was killed by terrorists at the beginning of the first film. The second Doc wore a bulletproof vest to survive his shooting by terrorists at the end of the first film, but then he was erased from time at the end of the second episode of the game, because when he married Edna and didn't invent time travel so he didn't get his rejuvenation treatments to extend his life (as hinted at the fact that Doc says he's nearly 100 years old, and by Marty who said that Doc and Einstein had been doing experiments for decades, which meant that Einstein also got treatments to extend his life, which is why Einstein disappears too). The third Doc, Citizen Brown, was erased from time because he and Edna never got married, so the 72 year old Doc couldn't have traveled to 1931 in 1986, since he'd have to be a lot older since he has Clara and his kids.

So, now we're on a fourth Doc, who came from the day that Emmett was given the key to the city, on the day listed on the newspaper, May 14, 1986, which is the day that Marty left the Citizen Brown timeline (which is where he picked up the newspaper, as he has it in his inventory during the Hill Valley Expo in 1931). This Doc grew up with the acceptance of his father.

We don't know anything about the current Doc beyond the relationship of his father (and Edna/Kid Tannen, although thats out of his timeline), other than the fact that it appears that he lived through the experience of the films, as he mentions Clara and his kids. We don't know how old he is though, as we don't know how long he traveled without Marty before coming back to 1931. He has to be at least in his 80s because he has Clara, Jules, and Verne with him at the end of the game. But, he doesn't necessarily have to be in his 90s like the Doc that was erased in the Citizen Brown timeline.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.