What Ron Gilbert thinks of Season One

edited April 2007 in Sam & Max
http://pc.ign.com/articles/783/783847p1.html
IGN: What do you think of the current state of adventure games? Anything you've been impressed by recently?

Gilbert: Well, certainly the Sam & Max games. Those are really, really good, and they show what a good adventure game can be -- especially with the writing and the humor. I think Sam & Max is kind of a shining light for adventure games.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Interesting article but i disagree on the aspect that adventure games have to be different and melded with other game genres as that's exactly what i don't want. I also don't have a problem with that adventures aren't so replayable than other genres.

What i want is a good story in a interesting world with characters i'm interested in and great logical riddles which challenge my brain. Package this with nice gfx and sfx and i'm happy.

I don't know if i'm the minority with such wishes but well, that's what i would like to see.
  • edited April 2007
    I would like to see pure adventure games continue. However, I do wish there was more replay value... one way to do that, is to have a game with multiple characters and endings, like Maniac Mansion!
  • edited April 2007
    The only mostly adventure game company I can think of that has released games releatively recently (Other then Telltale) is Dreamworks, and they never had high sales.

Unfortunately, unlike the old days, the PC game market is almost entirely dominated by young kids who are almost exclusively interested in only first person shooters and RTS games.

The rest of the market mainly just wants a game that will look impressive with their new computer or video card. The state of the game industry is much like sexual selection in humans, which is both fascinating and disturbing.
  • edited April 2007
    How do you know this? Actually the stats here say that the average videogamer is getting older as especially younger kids stay more away from videogames.

Beside of this my taste hasn't changed in this field. It also would be nice having a really good more adult like adventure.
  • edited April 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    How do you know this? Actually the stats here say that the average videogamer is getting older as especially younger kids stay more away from videogames.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pc%2Bgamer%2Bdemographic

http://www.jupitermedia.com/corporate/releases/02.11.06-gamerep.html

"The research is covered in two reports recently made available in conjunction with the launch of Jupiter Research's new Personal Computer & Console Games Service. These reports detail the major changes in the demographic composition of the games audience through 2007. "Much is made of the maturing games audience, but the reality is that we are there today - the median age is 23 years old," said Gartenberg."
  • edited April 2007
    The stats that i've read in a game magazine dealt with the gamers in germany and there the tendency was that the market is rising and that the average gamer is getting older.

But even if i take those 23 years, i don't hink that a gamers average age was 23 back in the amiga days for instance.
  • edited April 2007
    By the way according to the "How old are you..." thread on this forum the average gamer who took part in the survey is approximately 24 years old.
  • edited April 2007
    I'm below average! YES!
  • edited April 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    The only mostly adventure game company I can think of that has released games releatively recently (Other then Telltale) is Dreamworks, and they never had high sales.

Unfortunately, unlike the old days, the PC game market is almost entirely dominated by young kids who are almost exclusively interested in only first person shooters and RTS games.

The rest of the market mainly just wants a game that will look impressive with their new computer or video card. The state of the game industry is much like sexual selection in humans, which is both fascinating and disturbing.

The whole problem, to me, is in replayability. The irony of that is that most new games can't really be replayed for something very different.
    Also, consider the IQ of a typical American. None of them can figure out the puzzles in Sam and Max, as easy as it is. It'd be kinda interesting to see an FPS or something that takes its puzzles seriously, though. Like as opposed to a one-room switch-finding thing, have them put the gun away for a while and talk to people in their search.
  • edited April 2007
    It's a good thing I'm not American.... or average for that matter.
  • edited April 2007
    Don't worry Africa almost is the same... ;O)
  • edited April 2007
    I don't know what you are implying!
  • MelMel
    edited April 2007
    Katana wrote: »
    Also, consider the IQ of a typical American.

The whole hypothesis that getting stuck in an adventure game is a result of someone's IQ is utter bullshit to me. Also I get sick of Americans getting bashed too.
  • edited April 2007
    @xChri5x
    Look into the mirror...
  • edited April 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Also I get sick of Americans getting bashed too.

Dude. I AM an American.
    It's just that most people in my area are above-average. The below-average people seem to...live underground or something.
  • edited April 2007
    ...but they seem to come out when there's election for your president.
  • edited April 2007
    I'm just glad to see that the good folks over at TTG(and most probably Steve Purcell has it too, if he isn't included in the TTG group) has enough self-irony to make jokes about America and Americans. Self-irony is a qualitify sadly lacking in many people in this world.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I don't think that's the problem so much as it is that the people who should be voting are cowering in fear in a bunker somewhere, or are drowning in apathy.
  • edited April 2007
    Now there is a cure against apathy. Unfortunately, noone of the affected has yet shown any interest in this cure.
  • edited April 2007
    I actually saw a comment on 1up.com where someone criticized the Sam and Max games for not living up to "modern standards". Obviously, that person meant graphics and multiplayer and all that crap. Everytime someone passes up or bashes a game because it's old or the graphics aren't bleeding-edge, I want to slap them with a sledgehammer.

These fools will never know the greatness of classic LucasArts and Sierra, because they are afraid to play anything that's "zomg 2D lololol". Unsurprisingly, these are the same people that shun black and white movies, and bitch and moan when they watch something made before 2003, or something that isn't a CGI crapfest.

I love technology, and every now and then I'll get a game that pushes my hardware as far as it will go, just to drool over it. But for every Far Cry and Doom 3 I own, I have 10 times as many classics from the 80's and early 90's.

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon yearning for the good ol' days, but I think the world would be a better place if we forced every graphics fanboy/girl to do 60 hours of retro gaming every week until they are rehabilitated.
  • edited April 2007
    Nay!

I am very interested in the apathy of Americans! We have been too silent, too cowardly, for far too long! We have let our country descend into madness and tyranny! The world almost universally loathes and despises us, and the ones who do not voice their opinions generally do so simply out of fear of their lives and of persecution!

If we Americans truly care about our country and of human life in general, we will put a stop to this madness! America is not about ruling other countries, and pacifying the world! It was founded on the basis of freedom, justice, and liberty for all, not just for American citizens! We must rise up and fight this injustice, at whatever the cost!
    Viva la' resistance!!! Freedom, justice, and liberty for all!!!

- revolutionary speech done
  • edited April 2007
    amen, brother

"Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité"
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Your post was only saved because it ended in your forum sig.
  • edited April 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Your post was only saved because it ended in your forum sig.

Thanks, I think. ;)
  • edited April 2007
    Yes, the sig made it 100 trillion times better... or at least changed it to a more jovial nature.

Anyway, regarding ShaggE's post, I tend to ignore any review that bashes a game based only on graphics. Certainly, some genres almost demand a decent graphics engine (FPSs, in my opinion), but the Telltale Tool works perfect for the types of games it is used for. I actually might bash the game if it looked too realistic... what I want is a cartoony atmosphere that still caters to high-res displays (although I am anxiously awaiting widescreen support, hehe).
  • edited April 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    @xChri5x
    Look into the mirror...

You blew it up!!! Damn you!
  • edited April 2007
    lol, that reminds me of the cartoon episode called: sam & max vs The Uglions from Outer Space(Fools Die On Friday).

Geek: You Maniacs. You blew it up. Darn you. Darn you all to heck.
    Geeks says this when she comes upon a huge statue of Max in the ruins of the city.
    This is nearly an exact quote from the film Planet of the Apes, when Taylor sees the Statue of Liberty lying in ruins, though his quote wasn't moderated for a younger viewing audience.
    YOU MANIACS. YOU BLEW IT UP. DAMN YOU. GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL."
    (thank you, tv.com)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.