I just thought of something!

edited November 2011 in Back to the Future
Remember when the DeLorean was struck by lightning in 1955, sending Doc and the time machine 70 years into the past in 1885? Well in the game episode 1 if you picked one of the side chat options with Doc in jail you can ask him why the DeLorean exists (It was crushed by a train at the end of the third movie).

Well he says something that may interests some fans and says a duplicate DeLorean was sent 70 years into the future in 2025. Well wouldn't that mean there is a duplicate Doc somewhere in 2025?

Maybe a possible plot point for the future? ;)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Tornreaper wrote: »
    Remember when the DeLorean was struck by lightning in 1955, sending Doc and the time machine 70 years into the past in 1885? Well in the game episode 1 if you picked one of the side chat options with Doc in jail you can ask him why the DeLorean exists (It was crushed by a train at the end of the third movie).

Well he says something that may interests some fans and says a duplicate DeLorean was sent 70 years into the future in 2025. Well wouldn't that mean there is a duplicate Doc somewhere in 2025?

Maybe a possible plot point for the future? ;)

Probably not. Remember, the original DeLorean was crushed in BttF III. So there's only one left- the one in the game.
  • edited November 2011
    Probably not. Remember, the original DeLorean was crushed in BttF III. So there's only one left- the one in the game.

I know that. The one in the game is the duplicate. However wouldn't that mean there was also a duplicate Doc sent to 2025?

If the two Docs meet the consequences could be catastrophic!
  • edited November 2011
    This WAS discussed at the time the first episode came out...with some people believing that the title of the 4th episode 'Double Visions' referred to the existence of two Docs.

However, since that plot point was never picked up on, we must simply assume that there was no second Doc.

Maybe the lightining bolt was only able to create a temporal duplicate of non-living things.

The Delorean that ended up in 1885 was the REAL Delorean, and thus it had Doc in it. The Delorean that went to 2025 was NOT the real Delorean but just a copy of the original...and not even a really stable one (according to Doc in episode 5, though he may have been referring to the instability of that Delorean's timeline)...looking at it from that perspective, it makes sense that Doc was only in the REAL Delorean and not the duplicate.
  • edited November 2011
    I still believe that there is another doc stranded in 2025 (Assuming the duplicate did not work). When our Doc discovered the DeLorean I assume he brought it back with him to fix it using the time train.

Now that I think of it, would a duplicate version still be affected by the time stream changes and ripple effect?
  • edited November 2011
    The time circuits displayed 1885, so that may indicate that the living objects would be sent to that year, while the duplicate would be sent forward the same number of years, without Doc. However, since Doc was sent from November to January, he really should have been sent to September of 2026. Perhaps it's not quite exactly evenly split.
  • If there is though what happens with this other Doc?

The delorean in the future seems to work and even if it doesn't, it seems like it would be in 2026. Doc obviously didnt know in part III that there was a temporal duplicate (not sure how he eventually does find out). Presumably a doc sent to the 2020's would not know this either so if this Doc existed, he woud have gone back to 1955 to bring Marty back to 1985.

It's also been brought up why Doc says the flying circuits were shorted out on the one in 1885 but the one sent to the future flies. People theorize that either a second hover conversion was done or that the one sent to the past crashed to wreck the flying circuits.
  • edited November 2011
    If there is though what happens with this other Doc?

The delorean in the future seems to work and even if it doesn't, it seems like it would be in 2026. Doc obviously didnt know in part III that there was a temporal duplicate (not sure how he eventually does find out). Presumably a doc sent to the 2020's would not know this either so if this Doc existed, he woud have gone back to 1955 to bring Marty back to 1985.

It's also been brought up why Doc says the flying circuits were shorted out on the one in 1885 but the one sent to the future flies. People theorize that either a second hover conversion was done or that the one sent to the past crashed to wreck the flying circuits.

Yeah he would have gone to get Marty but what I am saying is what if the duplicate didn't work. It could have crashed like it did in the end of episode 2 of the game. And yeah. What happens to the other Doc? If he could not get the time machine to work, what would he do He would be stranded. That could lead to a possible plot point in the future.

And to answer your question about how he found it, In the game he said he traveled to 2025 (likely with the time train) and just happened to find it lying around. He probably then brought it back with him in the time train to fix it. There's my theory.
  • edited November 2011
    How does Back to the future: The Ride factor into all of this? Weren't there a bunch of Deloreans in that?
  • edited November 2011
    xbskid wrote: »
    How does Back to the future: The Ride factor into all of this? Weren't there a bunch of Deloreans in that?

The ride came out before the game. So I doubt it's connected.
  • edited November 2011
    Tornreaper wrote: »
    The ride came out before the game. So I doubt it's connected.

...All three movies came out before the game, too, so I'm not sure why that reasoning makes sense. O.o
  • edited November 2011
    xbskid wrote: »
    ...All three movies came out before the game, too, so I'm not sure why that reasoning makes sense. O.o

Well the fact that there was a duplicate Delorean wasn't established until the game. In fact I doubt that was originally part of the story. It's just something TTG added to the franchise.

So since there were multiple Deloreans in the ride doesn't mean it's related to the duplicate Delorean sent to the future. It's just a coincidence.
  • It's been stated that only the films are canon.

I have a tough time believing that 1985 Doc can build a time machine from scratch out of a train using 1800's technology, 1955 Doc can repair the time circuits using 50's technology yet 1985 Doc couldn't repair the delorean or even create one using 2020's technology.

The only way i can rationalize a duplicate doc is if something happens to him in 2025.
  • edited November 2011
    It's been stated that only the films are canon.

I have a tough time believing that 1985 Doc can build a time machine from scratch out of a train using 1800's technology, 1955 Doc can repair the time circuits using 50's technology yet 1985 Doc couldn't repair the delorean or even create one using 2020's technology.

The only way i can rationalize a duplicate doc is if something happens to him in 2025.

That's valid reasoning. Yeah something probably did happen to him like he got kidnapped or something.
  • edited November 2011
    This reminds me: What became of the time-travel train? And what about Clara, Jules and Verne?
  • bobber56 wrote: »
    This reminds me: What became of the time-travel train? And what about Clara, Jules and Verne?

Fairly certain the time train is only mentioned once during the game; during episode 3 Marty mentions to FCB that he made a time machine out of a train. Otherwise though we have no clue what happens.

At the beginning of the game, Clara, Jules, and Verne are living in a time other than the 1980's at the end the timeline has changed so that they stay there.

One possible plot in the second season; establish that there was a duplicate Doc but something happened to him in 2025. But then the timeline changes so that there now are two Docs. Possibly something to pick up on but mind you we already did have a 'problematic' Doc in episodes 3-5 and does seem we'll get at least one 'problematic' Marty.
  • edited November 2011
    One of the biggest reasons why I didn't believe that there was a 'second Doc' is because of the fact that this Doc never returned to get Marty. Doc could easily have fixed the Delorean, if it was damaged, in 2025 and returned to 1955 to get Marty.
  • edited November 2011
    Fairly certain the time train is only mentioned once during the game; during episode 3 Marty mentions to FCB that he made a time machine out of a train. Otherwise though we have no clue what happens.

At the beginning of the game, Clara, Jules, and Verne are living in a time other than the 1980's at the end the timeline has changed so that they stay there.

One possible plot in the second season; establish that there was a duplicate Doc but something happened to him in 2025. But then the timeline changes so that there now are two Docs. Possibly something to pick up on but mind you we already did have a 'problematic' Doc in episodes 3-5 and does seem we'll get at least one 'problematic' Marty.

Well I have a theory that the duplicates are not affected by the timeline prior to being struck by lightning. If that is true then it fixes the FCB plot hole and why the time machine didn't disappear.
    sn939 wrote: »
    One of the biggest reasons why I didn't believe that there was a 'second Doc' is because of the fact that this Doc never returned to get Marty. Doc could easily have fixed the Delorean, if it was damaged, in 2025 and returned to 1955 to get Marty.

But as previously mentioned, something could have happened to him such as being kidnapped. Maybe he got framed as the video store arsonist?
  • edited November 2011
    Perhaps the 2025 Doc was in the midst of repairing the DeLorean when Griff Tannen, having heard about the time machine from his crazy grandpa, decided he wanted it, beat Doc to death and left him in a gutter. In a trip to the 2020's, our Doc read a newspaper that had his death in it and found out about the duplicate time machine, but couldn't help his other self in time. Maybe. It's a theory anyways.
  • edited November 2011
    Perhaps the 2025 Doc was in the midst of repairing the DeLorean when Griff Tannen, having heard about the time machine from his crazy grandpa, decided he wanted it, beat Doc to death and left him in a gutter. In a trip to the 2020's, our Doc read a newspaper that had his death in it and found out about the duplicate time machine, but couldn't help his other self in time. Maybe. It's a theory anyways.

Sorry but that's a lame idea. As far as we know Doc didn't know about his clone. He simply discovered the time machine as he was exploring time. Also how would this make an interesting plot line if the other Doc is dead?
  • edited November 2011
    I never said it was a good idea or had any basis in logic. But since when is Back to the Future completely grounded in logic?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.