I can't fight it anymore, must share PaperCOPS

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
This is my contest entry, but the rules didn't say anything about not sharing it, and it's close enough to the deadline that I'm not worried about people stealing my idea. :p

I was inspired when I stumbled across this other contest, which featured a template for a blank arcade cabinet for artists to decorate. I had already missed the deadline, but that didn't bother me, since most of those entries are a lot more creative than I would have come up with (who would have thought of a truck??).

Anyway, this template seemed much simpler than the other Paper Arcade designs I've seen, so I decided to take a stab at recreating Bluster Blaster.

copsbbsq5.th.jpg

I think it came out pretty good, although I didn't alter the proportions of the template to match the game, so it's a bit taller and thinner than it ought to be.

pic0288bpt2.jpg

I bet if I had asked nicely, I could have gotten the real logo from somebody at TellTale, but would that be cheating? I just went and made everything from scratch. I'm particularly proud of the coin door and buttons.

pic0301ik8.jpg

At this point I was about ready to call it a day, but something in the back of my mind kept nagging me to finish what I'd started. Unable to find decent paper-craft templates for the appropriate computers, I simplified the designs and made them from scratch. The results are a bit wonky (especially Chippy) but I think they came out well overall.

copsotherbg5.th.jpg

In addition to being oddly misshapen, Chippy was also a pain to assemble, due to the stupid inward folds. Oh well, it came out pretty nice regardless. I'm not sure if the photoshop tricks are a completely acceptable substitute for 3D knobs, but the model is annoying enough as it is.

pic0297zv6.th.jpg

I think Curt is my favorite, mostly because he's essentially a box. The bevel effects on the face tend to look inside-out when the light is coming from the wrong direction, but aside from that qualm I'm pleased.

pic0300aj6.th.jpg

Bob is Bob. This one was pretty quick and simple, once I figured out that a loop of tape was all I needed to give the handset the necessary depth. I'd recommend using a Crayola marker or something to color the backside of the "wire," as colored pencil clearly did not have the desired effect.

pic0299ks9.th.jpg

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Some group shots. Since there are no Sam & Max action figures available to me, standing in for the Freelance Police are Captain Barbossa and Gunhaver.

pic0309cu2.jpg

pic0311kw5.jpg

pic0302ir0.jpg

Hope you enjoy. Post pictures if you make your own! (But don't enter them in this contest :p )
  • edited May 2007
    Awesome!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Hey those rule!
  • edited May 2007
    Win.
  • edited May 2007
    Gunhaver, lol.

Cheat Commandos, rock rock on!

Anyway, those rock.
  • edited May 2007
    ^ It's riggidy-roll now, remember?

Anyway, that's completely awesome. I'll have to build them to accompany my paper Phoenix Wright (and Miles Edgeworth, if I ever get around to putting him together...)
  • edited May 2007
    "Uh, that's not what we usually say..."
    "Yeah whatever, it's riggidy-roll from now on."

I'll have to make those. Although I'll probably make the Bluster Blaster shorter and fatter (slightly).
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks for the comments everyone :)
  • edited May 2007
    Those are really great.
  • edited May 2007
    Thank u!
    I love that stuff! ^_^
  • edited May 2007
    These are really good! :D Thanks for the templates too!
  • edited May 2007
    Those will definately be in the top 3! :)
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks everybody. Here are a few more detailed photos I took. :)

pic0303yh6.jpg

pic0304wj8.jpg

pic0305xz3.jpg

pic0307oi3.jpg
  • edited May 2007
    Hahaha, crazy. How long did they take to make?
  • edited May 2007
    For being so small they sure are well constructed! :p
  • edited May 2007
    Good job dude!

Hmm... Barbossa vs the Bluster Blaster... should be interesting!
  • edited May 2007
    Freakin' awesome. I salute your productive application of imagination. Hugh Bliss would be proud!
  • edited May 2007
    Hahaha, crazy. How long did they take to make?

That's a good question, and I honestly wasn't paying enough attention to know (time flies, and all that). Bluster Blaster took a big chunk of time, probably "several" hours (no clue how many) but the others probably didn't take more than an hour or so each... maybe two. Bob was the easiest, both to design and assemble.
  • edited May 2007
    I think I may print that ridiculously huge @ work and see if I can take up a corner of my room with it.

If I find the time to actually do that this summer, I'll take a pic and let you know
  • edited May 2007
    Those are just rad.
  • edited May 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    That's a good question, and I honestly wasn't paying enough attention to know (time flies, and all that). Bluster Blaster took a big chunk of time, probably "several" hours (no clue how many) but the others probably didn't take more than an hour or so each... maybe two. Bob was the easiest, both to design and assemble.
    Wow, that's dedication! :D
  • edited May 2007
    I... am... impressed.

Seriously, those are the coolest paper cutouts in the world. I want to hug you right now, as if I were a hippy and you were a tree.

TTG, unless someone makes life size models of the COPS, please let this kind gentleman win the contest.
  • edited May 2007
    great work + thanks for sharing, i am printing them as i post :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.