Could KQ6 (High Res) ever be made to work with modern PCs?

I love how GOG released all of the old KQ games--but one thing I dislike is how every KQ Collection after 1997 has released the low res version of KQ6 (and the DOS version of KQ5). The Hi Res version of KQ6 just improves an already great game, as does the Windows version of KQ5...I'm wondering, is there any way to get them compatible with modern PCs? Especially the Hi Res version of KQ6?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    It works with slightly different way in ScummVM. That is to say that ScummVM can open the assets, and allow you to play in hires mode. But some of the menus are different, and you get the color cursors instead of the B&W ones, IIRC.

BTW, every collection has the windows version of KQ6, but just no installation options (GOG added the windows installation back, but unless you have an early version of windows its very difficult to actually use natively).

Actually the windows version of KQ5 is slightly inferior to the DOS version... Black and White cursors instead of color, & it was buggier... There are no extras.
  • edited December 2011
    If you have a copy of Windows 3.1, you can install it into your DOSbox games directory and run it using DOSbox. Then you can install the Windows version of KQ6 and play it as if you actually had a PC from 1992!

It's actually pretty cool. Far better in my opinion than using ScummVM to do it, as the menus and cursors are all in their original Windows forms (ScummVM imports the DOS cursors for some reason).
  • edited December 2011
    Well, the menus/inventory, etc are hires in KQ6 in ScummVM...

Just the save and restore menus are different, switching into ScummVM menu system, rather than the classic Sierra save menus.

But ya the cursors are the in color and low res rather than the black and white cursors from the windows version.

Note menu bar is definitely the hires graphics (you'll get hires as far as the inventory and the control menus as well).
    ScummvmKQ6.jpg

Here is an example of the window's cursor for the old coins;
    Coincursorenhanced.jpg

You get this not so Sierra save/restore screen overlay though;

Scummvmsave.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    You can toggle between the cursors in the scummvm.ini file.
  • edited December 2011
    Can you get ScummVM to emulate the APPLE 2 colors when playing the Apple II sierra games?

Orange instead of Violet skies on Kerona in Space Quest 1 for example?

Or does it always just load the PC color palette?
  • edited December 2011
    No, but you can set the game colours to Amiga which are a little different. Not exactly the same as the Apple II though.
  • edited December 2011
    Too bad, part of the nostalgia in the Apple II is the different palette! LOL.

It would be fun to be able to mess around be ablet o load all the various pallete choices from the various computers the games were released on back then, just to compare the differences!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure once the Apple II interpreter is properly integrated they'll offer the Apple II palette as well. Right now the sound doesn't even work right for the Apple II versions.
  • edited December 2011
    Download the latest daily beta build, the music works great! actually.
  • exoexo
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind that the windows KQ6 (high res) is still highly a work in progress at ScummVM. Once the game is fully implemented it will have the original menus, cursors, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Keep in mind that the windows KQ6 (high res) is still highly a work in progress at ScummVM. Once the game is fully implemented it will have the original menus, cursors, etc.

Actually from what I've seen, the save/restore screen overlay replaces the original save/restore screens from the original even in the dos version of the game. It replaces the original menus in all the VGA games, Sierra, and other companies as well, as far as I know?

Outside of the save/restore all the correct menus exist in the hi res or lo res versions depending on which version you are loading into ScumVM.
  • edited December 2011
    There's also a setting for the original Save/Restore GUI's in the scummvm.ini file. Not all the ScummVM games use its GUI, though.
  • edited December 2011
    There's also a setting for the original Save/Restore GUI's in the scummvm.ini file. Not all the ScummVM games use its GUI, though.
    Hmm, I looked it up and couldn't find it. However, you CAN access the original Save/Load GUI for most (LucasArts, at least--haven't checked it with Sierra) games by pressing Alt-F5 (versus just F5 to bring up the ScummVM menu).
  • edited December 2011
    You can do it. I've done it. I made my own custom build of ScummVM and set the option in the source, though. I was pretty sure this was also customizable in the scummvm.ini file though.
  • exoexo
    edited December 2011
    Either way - give it time. SCI is still very "wip". Once games are actually playable then (if it follows the same progress as other large engines), they'll go back and take care of smaller things like menus.
  • edited December 2011
    exo wrote: »

The later version of the SCI engines are a work in progress, but KQ6 is not (nor are any other pre-SCI2 games). The changes made were intentional, and as MI said can be disabled in the .ini file.

ScummVM uses its own save/restore menu in most games at this point, not just SCI ones. I think it's done on an engine-by-engine basis. Oddly, much earlier in development the SCI games were using the original Sierra menus, but it was changed at some point in the development process. I'm not really sure why -- I'd prefer the original menus, but it's not a huge deal.
  • edited December 2011
    The reason the developers switched to primarily using the scumm GUI is probably because its fancier and has bells and whistles such as noting when (date an time) the save was made and an in-game screenshot showing where it was was saved. Also it doesn't have the save limits of the original iirc (you could only make about 20 saves in the Sierra system)

It Scumm GUi is a nice feature, technically superior, and has its advantages, just some might prefer to run things as close to original as possible.
  • edited December 2011
    You can also customize the ScummVM GUI scheme so you can make it look like whatever you want. So in theory, you could make any ScummVM supported game look like a Sierra game! lol
  • edited June 2012
    Upping this, as Anakin's new thread on the same topic should be merged into it.

As per GuruGuru's thread policy;
    First off, please make sure a similar thread doesn't already exist. This forum isn't that large yet, so this shouldn't be too difficult, and we do have a search function. We mods have to track down and merge duplicate threads, so not only does not posting duplicate threads keep the forums less cluttered and running more smoothly, it makes it much easier for us to keep track of things
  • edited June 2012
    Both of you guys are making me not want to come in here anymore.
  • edited June 2012
    Indeed, hope both get a 1 or 2 month posting restriction as a warning tbqh.

Or TellTale should make an "ignore option", so you can't see their posts until you press "show post". Like most forums have.
  • edited June 2012
    Hey, I'm just pointing out the forum policy on creating "redundant' threads;

As per GuruGuru's thread policy;
    First off, please make sure a similar thread doesn't already exist. This forum isn't that large yet, so this shouldn't be too difficult, and we do have a search function. We mods have to track down and merge duplicate threads, so not only does not posting duplicate threads keep the forums less cluttered and running more smoothly, it makes it much easier for us to keep track of things

Actually did you know another redundant Thread topic seems to be discussing Telltale themselves and their role in the King's Quest franchise. Have you noticed how strangely, enough they all seem to devolve into how Telltale may or may not be the best pick for the KQ series based on their previous game releases? Valid criticisms in alot of it... But it sure sees to be 'ad nauseum' discussion...

Guess its the fault of not hearing anything new. But its still a rendundant topic, that goes in circles ad naueum...
  • edited June 2012
    Indeed, hope both get a 1 or 2 month posting restriction as a warning tbqh.

Or TellTale should make an "ignore option", so you can't see their posts until you press "show post". Like most forums have.

I haven't posted all too much in a while. Baggins is bumping every thread I've ever made to get me in trouble because I asked him to contain all his KQ8 posts to one thread which I made specifically to keep the KQ8 fights out of every thread. Every thread was getting derailed with it.
  • edited June 2012
    Baggins is bumping every thread I've ever made to get me in trouble

No, you won't get into trouble for it, they just need to be merged. You really should bump one of your older threads on a topic, instead of making new ones every time!

The Guidelines say nothing about 'banning someone' just because they create redundant topics! It just makes it harder for the mods who have to 'track down and merge duplicate threads', because 'it makes it much easier for us to keep track of things.'

King's Quest Forum Guidelines (Please read before creating new threads)

So I don't see how you could get in trouble at all!

But that doesn't mean a little house cleaning as far as merging redundant threads can't happen, as GuruGuru mentioned in the guidelines.

BTW, there are probably alot of people guilty of the second guideline;
    Second, remember that this game is still pretty far off at this point, and we know virtually nothing about it except that it's in development. Until some official word comes out, take everything you read on here about the upcoming game with a grain of salt, and try to stick to the speculation thread if you have something to say about this upcoming game. We're trying to shift speculation to one dedicated thread, as so many threads about what may or may not happen in a game we don't know anything about just serve to clutter up the board right now.

As many of the threads created are based on 'speculation' or 'critical analysis' about the game's development, how it will compare to previous Telltale games, and the ability of those involved!

I seriously doubt anyone will get into trouble for breaking that 'guideline'!

Ironically, almost no one uses that that thread, the 'single' speculation thread!

The speculation thread.
  • edited June 2012

There is an ignore option. Just click on their username and on the screen that comes up find and click on the option 'user lists' (next to 'send message' under the profile pic) and you can add that user to your ignore list.
  • edited June 2012
    Cool, just added a couple of people...
  • edited June 2012
    Take your crap to PMs. That's also in the forum rules.
  • edited June 2012
    Pretty sure, being told to "shut up" isn't in the forum rules either... or being told "where to post", I.E, being told to 'leave'. Suggestions can be made, but none of that, 'Only post in this thread' type dictatorial-type comments.

In anycase, moving on... Back to the topic at hand...

Yes, KQ6 Enhanced works fine in ScummVM. I like messing with the various settings too... You can try out the 'EGA' color modes and get access to the alternate introduction with the extended narrative descriptions of the ship crash, the storm, the ocean around the islands. All kinda cool.

kq6egaintro25.png

Actually its worth suggesting for people to try out Space Quest IV in various graphics modes as well including monochrome, and EGA, as the Monochrome Boys in that game will change their comments based on the graphics you use! All part of the joke!
  • edited June 2012
    I got the hi-res version worked before by following instructions online. Basically, I downloaded and install wins 3.11 on dosbox. From there, I was able to play the Hi-res version. Found the instructions online 1-2 years ago.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.