Sam and Max Sketchbooks

edited December 2011 in Sam & Max
Does anybody know where I could get ahold of Age of S&M and Effigy Mound? I only discovered the wonders of Sam and Max last month and would really like to be given the opportunity to own them. I checked Ebay, but there's not even one copy on there.
It really pisses me off that when companies release limited books, they allow people to buy multiples. There are people on here that have over two copies of each of these sketchbooks. Please, Telltale, PLEASE rerelease these. I find it irritating that almost all of the Sam and Max merchandise is limited edition. Don't you want to be catering to the fans instead of people's superiority complex because they got a book that's impossible to find now? Sam and Max is seriously the only series I know of that doesn't WANT to make more money by continuing to produce something as long as the demand is there. There are not many things that I would not do for the sketchbooks, but paying upwards of $200.00 and feeding nostalgia vampires is one of them. Since it is literally impossible to buy now, it would be nice if someone who does own them could put up complete scans online.
Thanks in advance

SAM AND MAX FAN # 4161991
PS: If anybody can help me out with this:

[Personal information removed. If anyone does step forward, any necessary info should be shared over PM. - GuruGuru214]

Comments

• edited December 2011
    The Sam and Max fanon is reletively small and if they keeped printing them the company would be done in profit because they couldn't sell enough.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure they could afford to print them. I'm just upset that some people own like 3 copies of each sketchbook while many own none. Now I would be willing to pay double (40.00 per) plus throw in my spare unopened copy of the animated series as well as my 1995 copy of Surfin' The Highway to be able to own both the sketchbooks.
  • edited December 2011
    In the words of Bob Dylan 'Just because you like their stuff, doesn't mean they owe you anything' (not the exact quote as I changed it from singular to plural).
  • edited December 2011
    You're right, I just have to trust that the universe is cyclical and know that everything will come around again.
  • edited December 2011
    lovetodo22 wrote: »
    I'm sure they could afford to print them. I'm just upset that some people own like 3 copies of each sketchbook while many own none.

My brother was in the same boat as we are with this. He wanted to play the board game Hero Quest and found a forum for people talking about it. On the board, there was at least one guy who owned 13 copies of the game (bear in mind that even the most complex fan rules can't really accommodate more than four sets at a time. So, two backup sets and one for parts, I guess?) and other people owned around 8. When someone else posted asking if any of these people were selling, they said no, try yard sales. They apparently touted yard sales as the magic solution, because they found all of theirs at yard sales. (The way my brother tells it, there was an implied arrogance in their posts, which thankfully I have not seen from sketchbook holders. Sam & Max fans seem humbled to have the chance to own such a treasure, rather than haughty that they got to it first.)

He bought a damaged one online for cheap and printed out some of the broken cardboard pieces from a fan site. We did eventually find one at a yard sale by pure luck. I was planning on buying it from the lady for five bucks and re-selling it on eBay for what it was really worth (which, while an economically good idea, feels pretty skeevy to me) but instead we kept it so we had one in good condition. I don't expect to ever stumble across one of those again.

So whenever I hear of people owning multiple copies of some rare thing like this, I say, "Well, at least he isn't sitting on 13. Three is downright reasonable, actually!"

I'm kicking myself because I KNEW they would go up in value like a rocket and didn't buy one. It's like, it didn't even dawn on me that even if I couldn't justify buying it for myself, I COULD justify a sure investment. a-DUR! And I'm an accounting student, with emphasis on economics! How did that not occur to me?

Of course, I'm such a wishy-washy person I probably couldn't charge all that money to someone who reeeeally, reeeeally wanted it, and was a new fan, and a huge fan.

So yeah, if I was a better investor, you might could have a sketchbook at a fair cost. You probably should kick my ass for that.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Problem is, for every one thing that will be "worth something" one day, you will buy 100 that will be worth nothing next year. I'm pretty sure that you can not "guess" what will be valuable or sought-after.

You can guess some things that will be worth nothing next year, though. Like every single of today's Apple products. ;)
  • edited December 2011
    My brother was in the same boat as we are with this. He wanted to play the board game Hero Quest and found a forum for people talking about it. On the board, there was at least one guy who owned 13 copies of the game (bear in mind that even the most complex fan rules can't really accommodate more than four sets at a time. So, two backup sets and one for parts, I guess?) and other people owned around 8. When someone else posted asking if any of these people were selling, they said no, try yard sales. They apparently touted yard sales as the magic solution, because they found all of theirs at yard sales. (The way my brother tells it, there was an implied arrogance in their posts, which thankfully I have not seen from sketchbook holders. Sam & Max fans seem humbled to have the chance to own such a treasure, rather than haughty that they got to it first.)

He bought a damaged one online for cheap and printed out some of the broken cardboard pieces from a fan site. We did eventually find one at a yard sale by pure luck. I was planning on buying it from the lady for five bucks and re-selling it on eBay for what it was really worth (which, while an economically good idea, feels pretty skeevy to me) but instead we kept it so we had one in good condition. I don't expect to ever stumble across one of those again.

So whenever I hear of people owning multiple copies of some rare thing like this, I say, "Well, at least he isn't sitting on 13. Three is downright reasonable, actually!"

I'm kicking myself because I KNEW they would go up in value like a rocket and didn't buy one. It's like, it didn't even dawn on me that even if I couldn't justify buying it for myself, I COULD justify a sure investment. a-DUR! And I'm an accounting student, with emphasis on economics! How did that not occur to me?

Of course, I'm such a wishy-washy person I probably couldn't charge all that money to someone who reeeeally, reeeeally wanted it, and was a new fan, and a huge fan.

So yeah, if I was a better investor, you might could have a sketchbook at a fair cost. You probably should kick my ass for that.

To tell you the truth, I'm most interested in seeing the stuff they deleted from the animated series for content reasons, as well as the comics he did from his college newspaper days. Which is all in the sketchbooks. Keep an eye out please. And yeah, I'm definitely a huge fan: Beat all three seasons in less than a month (beat Devil's Playhouse in less than 48 hours), have two copies (one unopened, and totally up for trade)of the animated series, Surfin' The Highway 1995 first printing, Surfin' The Highway 2008 edition, and all I want to complete the collection is that shirt that they reprinted a few years ago that was from Comic-Con, the Sam and Max Symbiote statuette, and the two sketchbooks. * he said wistfullly*

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, I also possess the special color collection comic book from 1992. And I've only been a Sam and Max fan for less than two months.
  • edited December 2011
    Problem is, for every one thing that will be "worth something" one day, you will buy 100 that will be worth nothing next year. I'm pretty sure that you can not "guess" what will be valuable or sought-after.

You can guess some things that will be worth nothing next year, though. Like every single of today's Apple products. ;)

I used my knowledge of how valuable Surfin' the Highway became before the reprint and the "feelies" limited run, based on the fact that the books wouldn't be reprinted, it's not that far off to guess that these would go up drastically in value, too.
  • edited December 2011
    Good luck finding the sketchbooks for a reasonable price... I've only been a S&M fan for like a year, and I've been on the lookout for those since then.
  • edited December 2011
    Nevermind. Got them in two separate Ebay auctions that both ended this morning.

The Age Of S&M: $77.00
    The Effigy Mound: $142.50

You know, the scary thing is that I think this is probably the best deal I could expect.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I didn't think they'd be THAT valuable. That's some dedication, man! ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't think they'd be THAT valuable. That's some dedication, man! ;)

That's cheap compared to the only other place you can find them online. *shudder* http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sam+max+effigy&x=0&y=0
  • edited December 2011
    lovetodo22: when you get them, could you drop by? I just want to know what's in the sketchbooks that can't be found in Surfing the Highway :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'll try to put some scans up on my Flickr and Facebook for you. And you can't find any of this in Surfin' The Highway: They are convention sketches, things that had to be cut out of the animated series, early Sam and Max comics from his college days, never before seen material from the two cancelled games, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    lovetodo22: when you get them, could you drop by? I just want to know what's in the sketchbooks that can't be found in Surfing the Highway :)

Ok, they arrived today. Private message me a list of what you're interested in seeing or knowing about and I'll try to put some scans up.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.