Are you kidding me with these graphics?

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    I'm going to underline something very important here: There is no word "im" in the English vocabulary. There is however a word called "I'm", which is actually two words. It's possible to write it either with the apostrophe or as "I am", and one of those options have to be used. Both have the same meaning and they are both spelled with a capital "I", unlike the way you spelled it. But you can't write "im" ever, because that is quite simply not a word that exists in our reality.

Similarly the word "there" can't be used in the context from your above quote, it would be more correct to use "they are" or "they're". "There" is a different word altogether.

Also it is incorrect to refer to the TV show "Law & Order" as "law and order".
    Both the words "Law" and "Order" have to begin with capital letters and the two words need to be separated with an ampersand (&).

Unless a community member explicitly asks to have his spelling corrected, it is not normally advised to do it out of the blue. Deal with the arguments in a post or don't, but take the language guardian crap elsewhere. We're too grown up here for that.
  • edited December 2011
    Unless a community member explicitly asks to have his spelling corrected, it is not normally advised to do it out of the blue. Deal with the arguments in a post or don't, but take the language guardian crap elsewhere. We're too grown up here for that.

I've had my grammar and spelling corrected loads of times and never got this message following it!
  • edited December 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    i no spell good n no har bout it!1!!

Where do I even start?!?
    edited December 2011
    I've had my grammar and spelling corrected loads of times and never got this message following it!

Maybe the mod with a degree in linguistics wasn't around.
  • edited December 2011
    .i would like to thank you all for never correcting my horrible puntuatioN
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, the art AND art style isn't that good... but then again, I don't really care. It's the gameplay that matters.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, the art AND art style isn't that good... but then again, I don't really care. It's the gameplay that matters.

Yes but what we are saying is that it is not right because law & order is very adult but it has graphics like it is intended for 9 - 15 year olds
  • edited December 2011
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    Yes but what we are saying is that it is not right because law & order is very adult but it has graphics like it is intended for 9 - 15 year olds

Right, now you're being rude too. 'Cartoony' doesn't mean it's intended for children - Sam and Max and Monkey Island are prime examples of more adult games that use a cartoony art style.
  • edited December 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    Right, now you're being rude too. 'Cartoony' doesn't mean it's intended for children - Sam and Max and Monkey Island are prime examples of more adult games that use a cartoony art style.

it's more childish though it's not serious look at both of those games they are not serious they are full of jokes and things which are impossible in real life.

ok let me give you a example:

Animated movies like Rango or Cars or Nemo are all animated and not serious but things like Back to the future, Law & Order and Jurassic park are not animated but serious, so my point is if it's animated it's the people who made it way of showing you it's not ment to be taken seriously.
  • edited December 2011
    it's more childish though it's not serious look at both of those games they are not serious they are full of jokes and things which are impossible in real life.

Animated movies like Rango or Cars or Nemo are all animated and not serious but things like Back to the future, Law & Order and Jurassic park are not animated but serious, so my point is if it's animated it's the people who made it way of showing you it's not ment to be taken seriously.

Back to the Future is 'serious'? I'd probably describe it as Comedy/Science Fiction. Neither Back to the Future nor Jurassic Park are meant to be taken seriously; both have completely ridiculous concepts that have no possibly chance of occurring. Law and Order is occasionally a very funny show, and occasionally has very, very oddball out-there cases that are most definately not supposed to be taken seriously. The game would be wrong with a semi-realistic art dynamic; it wouldn't be right.
    Also; animated films can be aimed at adults too and be very serious, such as Spirited Away and the other Miyazaki films, which are championed as among the best films, period. But chances are you haven't heard of him or that as right now you seem to have a very limited view.
  • edited December 2011
    Back to the Future is 'serious'? I'd probably describe it as Comedy/Science Fiction. Neither Back to the Future nor Jurassic Park are meant to be taken seriously; both have completely ridiculous concepts that have no possibly chance of occurring. .

Yes of course they do, oh wait no they dont Jurassic Park has a very clever explanation of why the dinosaurs are around and back to the future the time machiene was practical and very realistic I will quote doc: ''If your gonna build a time machiene out of a car why not do it with some style!?''

As I said before yes there is comedy in Back to the future but that's not it's genre it fits more into the action/ sci fi and sci fi can be very realistic (Back to the future)

Oh and how can things like Rango or Cars can be serious thats even more stupid than saying Sam and Max is more serious than Law & Order.
    Also you said there are jokes in law & Order well there are jokes in real life, the diffrence is that animated films and games have incredibly silly jokes which is not realistic at all.

(Note as well we are not asking for crysis graphics just effort instead of telltale laughing and saying: ''It's just Law & Order, no big deal I think I will add a flying animated elephant just for a joke'')
  • edited December 2011
    Yes of course they do, oh wait no they dont Jurassic Park has a very clever explanation of why the dinosaurs are around and back to the future the time machiene was practical and very realistic I will quote doc: ''If your gonna build a time machiene out of a car why not do it with some style!?''

I think you missed my point. Jurassic Park is ridiculous - the reasoning makes very little sense and the dinosaurs do feel out of place in a hyper-realistic world.
    As I said before yes there is comedy in Back to the future but that's not it's genre it fits more into the action/ sci fi and sci fi can be very realistic (Back to the future)

Yeah, Back to the Future was so serious that there was never an animated television show about it on Saturday Mornings! Oh wait...
    Oh and how can things like Rango or Cars can be serious thats even more stupid than saying Sam and Max is more serious than Law & Order.
    Also you said there are jokes in law & Order well there are jokes in real life, the diffrence is that animated films and games have incredibly silly jokes which is not realistic at all.
    I'm going to stop arguing with you because you are very, very hideously wrong here - animated films are family films, most usually, not comedies - jokes do feature, but it's mostly about a moral of some kind in the end - I can't speak for Rango, but I can say that animated films like Cars and Toy Story and WALL-E and Fantastic Mr. Fox are moving to me, and although they are animated I feel it enhances the story rather than falter it.
    (Note as well we are not asking for crysis graphics just effort instead of telltale laughing and saying: ''It's just Law & Order, no big deal I think I will add a flying animated elephant just for a joke'')

palmdesk
  • edited December 2011
    I think you missed my point. Jurassic Park is ridiculous - the reasoning makes very little sense and the dinosaurs do feel out of place in a hyper-realistic world.

Yeah, Back to the Future was so serious that there was never an animated television show about it on Saturday Mornings! Oh wait...

I'm going to stop arguing with you because you are very, very hideously wrong here - animated films are family films, most usually, not comedies - jokes do feature, but it's mostly about a moral of some kind in the end - I can't speak for Rango, but I can say that animated films like Cars and Toy Story and WALL-E and Fantastic Mr. Fox are moving to me, and although they are animated I feel it enhances the story rather than falter it.

palmdesk

The cartoon was for kids and how does a animated film make you more emotional?
  • edited December 2011
    The cartoon was for kids and how does a animated film make you more emotional?

Here's how.
  • edited December 2011

Doesnt make me any sadder than if it was a real life version
  • edited December 2011
    Doesnt make me any sadder than if it was a real life version

Yeah true but it don't make it any less sadder because its animated.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah true but it don't make it any less sadder because its animated.

The lion king is not based on a tv programme or film so the people who made it wanted it animated whilst Law & order, Jurrasic park and Back to the future are based on real life and are more serious than animated things, but telltale made them cartoony because they couldn't be bothered to put any effort into them

Thats the reason im saying what I am and why the fans are disapointed
  • edited December 2011
    telltale couldn't be bothered to put any effort into them

Yup. Let's be rude! Being rude is fun.
  • edited December 2011
    Well I'm a fan of Law and Order and have been making topics and posts saying TTG should do Law and Order since 2009 and I'm not disappointed with the graphics. And it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of Sam and Max.
  • edited December 2011

Simba's death is sad yes, but I don't think you can really get emotional over cartoons the same way you can from real shows.
    I can list 15 scenes from "24" off the top of my head that are 10 times sadder than that scene from Lion King.
    Yup. Let's be rude! Being rude is fun.

How is he rude? Because he's saying something you don't like?
    What he said was completely true, so deal with it in a constructive manner.
  • edited December 2011
    Well I'm a fan of Law and Order and have been making topics and posts saying TTG should do Law and Order since 2009 and I'm not disappointed with the graphics. And it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of Sam and Max.

I mean hardcore fans people who have posters in there houses and have the complete boxset, those are the people who are upset with the graphics.
  • edited December 2011
    I mean hardcore fans people who have posters in there houses and have the complete boxset, those are the people who are upset with the graphics.

I have some box sets! And I could go buy a poster if it means my option is valid.
  • edited December 2011
    I have some box sets! And I could go buy a poster if it means my option is valid.

Yes but you dont think about Law & Order every day and nothing else like some people do who really love Law & Order
    (Just to clarify im NOT one of those people)
  • edited December 2011
    Yes but you dont think about Law & Order every day and nothing else like some people do who really love Law & Order
    (Just to clarify im NOT one of those people)

How do you know what I think! And I do think about Jack McCoy every moment of every day.

custom_onion_gif_1.gif
  • edited December 2011
    How do you know what I think! And I do think about Jack McCoy every moment of every day.

custom_onion_gif_1.gif

Because I know everything mwahahaa
  • edited December 2011
    When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
    While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

/snip/ [courtesy of Vainamoinen]

but really telltale is taking a different approach on the graphic.there are serious game with cartoony graphics like Borderlands and XIII (although XIII's ending sucked)
  • edited December 2011
    Like I said before, Graphics are the least important aspect to me. They suck resources for the PC. The important point is, it's serviceable. I can tell who the characters are. It's not like they are atari graphics or some bull like that.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I do not understand the backlash from some.. you can tell who all the characters are supposed to be and I think the likeness is rather good.... and avoided the uncanny valley

I think its ridiculous to assume hardcore fans of the series would dismiss this game because it doesn't have ground breaking visuals.. I'm not really a fan of any of the shows but I assumed they were more story driven type dramas..

Maybe I am just old.. but I grew up playing 8bit graphics.. so for me I can enjoy games that do not have the latest graphics.. It would be an interesting study to see if newer gamers who did not come up during the 80s and early 90s expect graphics.
  • edited December 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of any of the shows but I assumed they were more story driven type dramas..

No its the sexyness of Jack McCoy that keeps us watching....(TTG you need a horrny sign of attraction emotion.)
  • edited December 2011

I'm pretty sure that if you ever met Brad Bird he'd punch you in the face*. Hayao Miyazaki likely wouldn't assault you but I'm sure he'd shed a single tear. The masters of animation have been crusading for decades against ignorant opinions such as these. Those who think that Animation is a genre and that that genre is only aimed at kids really don't know the first thing about the history of animation. You can make any kind of animated film you like, in any style, and aimed at any audience. Do you think something like Perfect Blue was made for kids? Do you think the first ten minutes of Up were not supposed to be taken seriously?

Also, just because something is live action doesn't mean it's serious. Look at practically anything by Mel Brooks. Something like Space Balls is just as silly as Sam & Max.

Edit: *I don't mean this in a violent 'I hate you' kind of way, it probably helps to know that Brad Bird is passionately against people dismissing the great things the medium of animation is capable of achieving.
  • edited December 2011
    but I assumed they were more story driven type dramas..

They are but if telltale took pride in there work and and put effort into the game then the fans would feel like it is a interactive show, if it has cartoony graphics it looks like telltale are not being serious and that it's not ment to be a continuation or ''What if'' kind of thing.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I do not understand the backlash from some.. you can tell who all the characters are supposed to be and I think the likeness is rather good.... and avoided the uncanny valley

I think its ridiculous to assume hardcore fans of the series would dismiss this game because it doesn't have ground breaking visuals.. I'm not really a fan of any of the shows but I assumed they were more story driven type dramas..

Maybe I am just old.. but I grew up playing 8bit graphics.. so for me I can enjoy games that do not have the latest graphics.. It would be an interesting study to see if newer gamers who did not come up during the 80s and early 90s expect graphics.

Nobody's demanding ground-breaking graphics, just some effort from the part of the game developers. Graphics have to be good enough so that the player can feel immersed into the game, and you don't need a $40 million budget for that.
  • edited December 2011
    Like I said before, Graphics are the least important aspect to me. They suck resources for the PC. The important point is, it's serviceable. I can tell who the characters are. It's not like they are atari graphics or some bull like that.

Well Just Cause 2 has fantastic graphics but it runs perfect, also good graphics give the characters more personality Bloodshot eyes or generally just what they look like because cartoony graphics dont really give much detail about how they look.
  • RyanKaufmanRyanKaufman Former Telltale Staff
    edited December 2011
    Hey all,

Way back when we started planning Law & Order, I sat down with the art director, and we looked at a variety of art styles. From the word go, I wanted the game to lead on iPhone and iPad**, and it was very important that the game look fantastic on those devices.

The display screens are perfectly suited for a bold graphic art style, using strong lines and swaths of solid colors. On small screens, the kind of details you find in a photo-realistic game often get lost or look cluttered and busy.

We very deliberately designed Law & Order from the ground up to run smoothly on the phone and pad, and look unique among Telltale games. The people here take their craft very seriously, and strive for high quality art that runs on anything from a 3GS phone to a high-end PC.

I am very proud of the look and feel of the game. When I see it running on the phone, I know we made the right choice. Even on a smaller screen, the characters are strongly defined, without being uncanny or falling short of realism. The art style bolsters their personalities and features. (Jack McCoy's eyebrows!)

I really love the Law & Order universe-- the characters and the storytelling are some of the best around. We've had a blast making this game, and we can't wait for you to play it.

--R

**it will also be on PC/Mac, don't worry! I just wanted to be honest that I'm very passionate about iOS gaming. That's my personal bias, and where I like to start my designs from.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey all,

Way back when we started planning Law & Order, I sat down with the art director, and we looked at a variety of art styles. From the word go, I wanted the game to lead on iPhone and iPad**, and it was very important that the game look fantastic on those devices.

The display screens are perfectly suited for a bold graphic art style, using strong lines and swaths of solid colors. On small screens, the kind of details you find in a photo-realistic game often get lost or look cluttered and busy.

We very deliberately designed Law & Order from the ground up to run smoothly on the phone and pad, and look unique among Telltale games. The people here take their craft very seriously, and strive for high quality art that runs on anything from a 3GS phone to a high-end PC.

I am very proud of the look and feel of the game. When I see it running on the phone, I know we made the right choice. Even on a smaller screen, the characters are strongly defined, without being uncanny or falling short of realism. The art style bolsters their personalities and features. (Jack McCoy's eyebrows!)

I really love the Law & Order universe-- the characters and the storytelling are some of the best around. We've had a blast making this game, and we can't wait for you to play it.

--R

**it will also be on PC/Mac, don't worry! I just wanted to be honest that I'm very passionate about iOS gaming. That's my personal bias, and where I like to start my designs from.
    I'm going to be honest-a more "realistic" art style for L&O is more sensible to me. That being said, it's hardly a deal breaker for me. It's not like I was getting Atari-level graphics.

I'm more curious about the gameplay mechanics, such as the plea deals and objections you alluded to in the teaser trailer. Will we getting more teasers soon? I'm more curious on how that works, more than anything else.
  • edited December 2011
    I think I can answer one of your questions. Rey Curtis' wife passed away in 2009, I believe he guest stared in one episode that season to bury her. As it's 2011 at the start of the game, I think that would be suitable time to grieve then re-apply to his old job.
    Yes, that's right. I remember that just barely.
    Can you really say S&M has emotion like that or epic action where people almost die because they didnt escape in time.
    (I dont know I have not played it but I have seen loads of trailers and it looks silly to me)
    well then they are a bit silly crying over a talking dog and talking alien rabbit.
    Okay, so first you get all smarmy saying that Sam & Max doesn't have any "emotion like that or epic action where people almost die", and then when it's pointed out to you that it DOES have those things, you just say that people are silly for being moved by them? It's pretty clear that you've never played Sam & Max, that you don't want to give it a try, and that you just want to blindly hate because you think it's stupid.
    How is he rude? Because he's saying something you don't like?
    What he said was completely true, so deal with it in a constructive manner.
    No, what he said was not completely true. It's an opinion you agree with, not a fact. You and him keep spewing this completely rude, insulting, and obnoxious drivel about how they didn't put any effort into the graphics. Why? Not because the graphics are bad, but because you don't like the art style they chose to use. You and he have been nothing but completely rude from the very beginning.

Also, the hypocrisy of you telling people to deal with this rudeness in a constructive manner when you have yet to be constructive in this thread is astounding. Maybe if you would voice your objection to an art style in a constructive way instead of throwing out insulting phrases like "my 5 year old niece could have done better" and "they should put some effort in so they can at least pretend to be professional", people would actually be able to form a constructive response. Honestly, you should probably consider yourself lucky that you haven't been infracted or banned yet with all the rude, insulting things you've been saying about all the people who worked so hard to make this game.
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if you ever met Brad Bird he'd punch you in the face*. Hayao Miyazaki likely wouldn't assault you but I'm sure he'd shed a single tear. The masters of animation have been crusading for decades against ignorant opinions such as these. Those who think that Animation is a genre and that that genre is only aimed at kids really don't know the first thing about the history of animation. You can make any kind of animated film you like, in any style, and aimed at any audience. Do you think something like Perfect Blue was made for kids? Do you think the first ten minutes of Up were not supposed to be taken seriously?
    South Park is animated, it must be for kids. ;)

This really is just like when The Wind Waker's art style was revealed, and so many people hated the entire game just because the cel-shaded art style. But hey, you know what? It was still a great game, both to play and to look at. Chances are, we'll be able to say the same thing about this game in the future.
  • edited December 2011
    mjc0961 wrote: »
    No, what he said was not completely true. It's an opinion you agree with, not a fact. You and him keep spewing this completely rude, insulting, and obnoxious drivel about how they didn't put any effort into the graphics. Why? Not because the graphics are bad, but because you don't like the art style they chose to use. You and he have been nothing but completely rude from the very beginning.

Also, the hypocrisy of you telling people to deal with this rudeness in a constructive manner when you have yet to be constructive in this thread is astounding. Maybe if you would voice your objection to an art style in a constructive way instead of throwing out insulting phrases like "my 5 year old niece could have done better" and "they should put some effort in so they can at least pretend to be professional", people would actually be able to form a constructive response. Honestly, you should probably consider yourself lucky that you haven't been infracted or banned yet with all the rude, insulting things you've been saying about all the people who worked so hard to make this game.

Opinions, not insults. And I've repeatedly stated that it's not the art style itself that angers me, but the poor quality of the actual graphics and animations.
  • edited December 2011
    Simba's death is sad yes, but I don't think you can really get emotional over cartoons the same way you can from real shows.
    I can list 15 scenes from "24" off the top of my head that are 10 times sadder than that scene from Lion King.

Name these fifteen scenes from "24" that you claim are ten times sadder than Simba, in a state of denial, crying over the body of his dead father. If you can come up with ANY legitimately sadder scenes from that retarded show I will be shocked ;)
    mjc0961 wrote: »
    South Park is animated, it must be for kids. ;)

A perfect example. It's funny to think that back when The Simpsons first made the leap from animated shorts to their own show the idea that a cartoon that wasn't aimed only at children could succeed was considered by many to be preposterous, and now it's like the most successful television show of all time. Shows like South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, etc, just further enforce what can be achieved with the medium.
  • edited December 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Name these fifteen scenes from "24" that you claim are ten times sadder than Simba, in a state of denial, crying over the body of his dead father. If you can come up with ANY legitimately sadder scenes from that retarded show I will be shocked ;)

Death of Buchanan
    Death of Edgar
    Death of Teri
    Mason getting radiation poisoning
    Death of Renee
    Lynn McGill's death by nerve gas
    Jack being taken to a Chinese prison
    Wayne Palmer's assassination attempt
    Daniels completing Wayne's term
    President Taylor effectively ending her term after Season 8
    Suitcase nuke blowing killing countless innocents
    Jack being forced to sacrifice Paul Rayne's life to save a terrorist
    James Heller being forced to resign after confronting President Logan
    Airforce One being shot down and killing President Keeler's son
    Jack being forced to kill Curtis

That took me less than 45 seconds to come up with, and there are many more moments that far exceed the Simba scene.
    edited December 2011
    There's hardly a way to objectively describe why a certain scene is "more sad" than others. If the Lion King's your cup of tea, why not spill some tears there. If you like "24", things might be different for you personally.*

Transported emotion and the visuals of a game are, however, very connected. If you don't like the graphic portrayal of the characters, there's hardly a way to make the story really moving for you. Yet in the Law & Order series, actors did not really seem to display their emotions so openly. Facial expression did not play that much of a role for Vincent D'Onofrio or Ice-T at least. ;)

* Disclaimer: I've only watched half the first season of "24" and I considered the naivety with which this show was written to be quite, quite comparable to The Lion King. I then suffered from cliché overload, and when I finally thought "one more cliché and I'm out of that series", one of the characters suddenly suffered from amnesia. So that was my little 24 story, while we're being off topic.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.