Second marty in back to the future

edited December 2011 in Back to the Future
If you have seen the film then you know that he goes to 1955 bla bla bla but when I was watching a clip I noticed him in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2c-tMZSZtY

At 2:25 if you look at Doc's right side; you can see the second Marty McFly from 1955 right after he throws his gun.

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Ha, yes. I do see someone in the background there. :) I never noticed that before. That is probably a member of the crew, and is a movie mistake.

I admire your creative thinking, but 1955 Marty can't be already in 1985 before the first trip to 1955 because the rules of time travel in the Back to the Future universe don't work that way.

If you want an in-universe explanation, I'd say it's probably a night guard at the mall who is about to get the biggest shock of his life. :p
  • Jennifer wrote: »
    Ha, yes. I do see someone in the background there. :) I never noticed that before. That is probably a member of the crew, and is a movie mistake.

I admire your creative thinking, but 1955 Marty can't be already in 1985 before the first trip to 1955 because the rules of time travel in the Back to the Future universe don't work that way.

If you want an in-universe explanation, I'd say it's probably a night guard at the mall who is about to get the biggest shock of his life. :p

Bingo hence it still being 'twin pines mall' at that time. Plus 1955 Marty came from Docs left (which you can not see from that shot).
  • edited December 2011
    This theory about a shadowy figure behind Doc at the start of the movie actually sparked off this whole series of articles by a guy named Bruce Gordon about 'The Other Marty McFly'. The articles are a pretty interesting read though they do not in any way reflect how time travel is shown to work in any of the BTTF movies.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.