King's Quest Movie (a wish)

Has anyone else ever wished that a movie based on the KQ games would be made? Given that films like HP and the LOTR and the Hobbit have been made, or are being made in the case of The Hobbit, I don't think making a KQ movie would be impossible. The first two games' movies might need a little tweaking to make them more film friendly, but, if done right, they could be utterly amazing fantasy films.

What would you prefer if a KQ movie was made:

A live action film ala Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter
An 2D animated film in the style of Disney or Don Bluth or Rankin-Bass' Hobbit
A 3D animated film with 2D art like "Tangled"?

Who would you cast in the roles?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Based on the fact that few video game adaption movies stick to their roots very well, I'd have to give a resounding no...
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure if I would want a KQ film, but if they were making one, I would prefer a 2D animated film.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think a KQ movie would play well today--at least not a KQ movie that actually captured the spirit of the original series. All those fantasy movies you listed veer heavily into the dark fantasy territory, which is totally inappropriate for the KQ world. I could see it working with a Disneyfied approach--I'd personally like to see it live action, but with all the whimsy and magic of a traditional Disney film.
  • edited December 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    I don't think a KQ movie would play well today--at least not a KQ movie that actually captured the spirit of the original series. All those fantasy movies you listed veer heavily into the dark fantasy territory, which is totally inappropriate for the KQ world. I could see it working with a Disneyfied approach--I'd personally like to see it live action, but with all the whimsy and magic of a traditional Disney film.

Think of the animated version of The Hobbit from the '70s--Not that far removed in tone and spirit from KQ.
  • edited December 2011
    Think of the animated version of The Hobbit from the '70s--Not that far removed in tone and spirit from KQ.

Today and the 1970s are two VERY different cultural eras, my friend.
  • edited December 2011
    But The Hobbit 1977 is still amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    Today and the 1970s are two VERY different cultural eras, my friend.

Sure, I was just giving an example. A KQ movie could work if done properly.
  • edited December 2011
    However the Hobbit 1977 is often reviled by Tolkien fans for the amount of artistic license it took from the books and deviations in story...
  • edited December 2011
    It's okay, because Tolkien purists are reviled by just about everyone else.

Bt
  • edited December 2011
    I dunno KQ is almost always sort of corny.. Don't get me wrong I count them among my most favorite games of all time... If they were faithfully translated I think it would be pretty cringe worthy.. but a retooling under the right kind of director could be rather enjoyable.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok perhaps I should rephrase that, as apparently most 'Tolkien fans' and other critics criticize them along with the two other LOTR animated films for many rediculous deviations from the books.

Amusingly all three have been targets of YouTube 'poop' as well!

I suppose it's no different than Star Trek having its Trekkers and Trekkies.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.