Kingdom of Sorrow

2»

Comments

• edited January 2012
    I'm mixed on the voice acting... I think Alexanders in both are good though different.

I prefer the Rosella in IA's game to the one in AGD's which I think sounds too 'mature' for the part, like an older woman. Not fitting the style as she appeared by the three separate actresses in the official series. Or the age she was supposed to be in the game. They went for a younger less, husky sounding style in the Sierra games.

Josh Mandel is Josh Mandel so he's equally fun in both.

I overall agree that the quality is better in AGDI's KQ3. However keep in mind many of the actors who did voice work in IA's have done voice work in AGD's as well. Many of IA's had previously did work in AGDs! So quality might be quality of recording not necessarily on the skill of the actors! Or maybe it's a directorial differences?

I think the rerecorded voice work for the AGD's enhanced versions of the first two remakes did improve things quite a bit over the first 'talkie' versions of their games.

On a side note the new actor that TSL got for graham is probably the best voice over work in the game, but others are wildly inconsistent in quality, IMO.
    player has to click after each and every line of dialogue.
    I thought they said they are fixing that in gold edition? I think they offer both options in SQ2 Deluxe.
  • edited January 2012
    Heh, yeah - our voice acting in the 2006 release of our KQ3 is definitely sub-par in some areas! We've learned a lot in the last 5 years! Our "Gold" version has much of the voice recordings replaced with newer and better performances by more accomplished actors. It was our first outing on a game as a team, and it's amazing, really, the difference between our original version and how the Gold version is looking so far.

(Heh. I voiced Guybrush in the easter egg on our KQ3. I did also voice Vohaul in our Space Quest 2, as well.)

I think AGDI's KQ3 is really awesome, too, though. The backgrounds were amazingly beautiful, and I liked the new puzzles a lot. Loved the music as well - Brandon is a great composer and his score is beautiful for the game. I just think it's cool that there's a couple versions of a really cool game out there. Though I'm sure we won't cross wires on projects again, haha!

In the end, our KQ3 was done for pure fun. Just to see if we could do it, and to that end - I think we made a fun game for people to play. It taught us so much, and it's been an amazing and fun ride learning more since we made it.

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    I'd like to see the ability to 'toggle' between the old and new versions in "Gold Edition' kinda like the Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 special editions... Just to compare how things have changed over time!
  • edited January 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »

I thought they said they are fixing that in gold edition? I think they offer both options in SQ2 Deluxe.

We do offer both options in SQ2VGA. You can thank me for that, actually--I'm the one who initially brought up making them time out after the spoken line finished. ;)

I imagine we will include both options in any of our future games, too.
  • edited January 2012
    (Heh. I voiced Guybrush in the easter egg on our KQ3.

Oh! Well, try to sound more like Dominic Armato next time. :D
  • edited January 2012
    Lambonius wrote: »
    We do offer both options in SQ2VGA. You can thank me for that, actually--I'm the one who initially brought up making them time out after the spoken line finished. ;)

I imagine we will include both options in any of our future games, too.

In KQ6, if speech and text were both turned on, each text box timed out shortly after the corresponding speech ended. If speech was turned off, then the text box would remain until a mouse button or key press was made. I imagine KQ5 is the same.

IA should follow suit in their KQ games.
  • edited January 2012
    SQ2 remake offers three options I think... Text + no speech... (no timeout), text + speech (timeout), and Text + no speech (no timeout).

I think they said something similar would occur in KQ3 Gold Edition and all future versions.
  • edited January 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    In KQ6, if speech and text were both turned on, each text box timed out shortly after the corresponding speech ended. If speech was turned off, then the text box would remain until a mouse button or key press was made. I imagine KQ5 is the same.

IA should follow suit in their KQ games.

I'm pretty sure that KQ6, in its original form, did not offer text + speech at the same time, nor did KQ5. This was the case with most Sierra games at the time unfortunately. The ScummVM team did, however, add the feature to KQ6 and SQ4 -- maybe that's what you're thinking of?
  • edited January 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Oh! Well, try to sound more like Dominic Armato next time. :D

I know, right? That's kind of a tall order, though!

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that KQ6, in its original form, did not offer text + speech at the same time, nor did KQ5. This was the case with most Sierra games at the time unfortunately. The ScummVM team did, however, add the feature to KQ6 and SQ4 -- maybe that's what you're thinking of?
    Okay, then yes. I checked that on DOSBox, and it turns out you're right.

In any case, I think IA should still use my aforementioned suggestion for their games.
  • edited January 2012
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    Space Quest IV actually intended to allow this ability--there were graphics in the menu for having "Both" speech and text selected. Until ScummVM came along, though, the only way to activate it in the final game was through a bug ("unanticipated feature"?) in Hz. So Good. Go figure.
  • edited January 2012
    Or NewRisingSun's SQ4 CD patch. Which is the best verison of SQ4 out there.
  • edited January 2012
    I would like to know if there is any sort of artificial dealine that has been set for this project.

To be honest, I'm somewhat impatient for it to be released. :)
  • edited January 2012
    No, there's no deadline. Just it will be done when it's done. I have no idea when that will be.

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    No, there's no deadline. Just it will be done when it's done. I have no idea when that will be.

Bt

When it's a week away from release, we'll announce it. ;)
  • edited June 2012
    Is there any words when KQ3 gold edition is coming out?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.