Roy G. Biv?

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
Does anyone else not understand the relevance of this pseudoname?
Yes, we all know its a cover-name for Hugh Bliss, and possibly a dig at L. Ron Hubbard,
but unless I missed something it was revealed at literally the last second in Reality 2.0, only to be solved by Sam in no time flat with no input from the player with a typically illogical explanation at the start of Bright Side.

Why wasn't there some pre-amble that involved the player hunting for (possibly some pretty obvious) clues as to the connection?

Still, good show on the rest of the episode - I guess you guys have pretty much mastered the Telltale Tool now (ok, yes, it was internally developed, but the separation of Max - clever!).
Roll on the DVD and Season 2.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Roy G. Biv is a memory aid for the colours of the rainbow (Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet).

Sam works out it's
    Hugh by translating the word morning as "He who defeats the rainbow man" or something similar, meaning the person who works under the pseudonym Roy G. Biv must fear the word morning and therefore won't have said it.
  • edited May 2007
    Spoilers:

Roy G. Biv is a popular mnemonic device used for memorizing the traditional optical spectrum. This makes the name pretty clear. (And it was obvious that this was Hugh to those who recognised it.)

Edit: Damn, got beat. Stupid slow me taking time to post.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I want a transcript of that opening sequence of episode 6... those jumps of logic were hilarious.
  • edited May 2007
    It's also a popular memetic for remembering the Verious security clearances in Alpha Complex.
    I'd say more, but you're not cleared for that, Citizen..
  • edited May 2007
    it did seem a bit of a leap of logic but hey.. it was funny. As for the name, I didn't get it either till someone here explained it was a pnemonic. I blame the not being american thing.. we have the rainbow song back in NZ.
  • edited May 2007
    Likewise... Rainbow song all the way.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    what's the rainbow song? I learned a 'rainbow song' early in school, but it merged indigo and violet into "purple," so they stopped using it.
  • edited May 2007
    This one?
    Rainbow purple
    Rainbow blue
    Rainbow green
    And yellow too
    Rainbow orange
    Rainbow red
    Rainbow shining over head.
  • edited May 2007
    Well, I'm also one of those, who didn't get the meaning of "Roy G. Biv" at all.. (at least prior to reading this thread).
    Must have something to do with the german school system (which I attended). I don't think, the colors of the rainbow are taught in germany.
    Do all schools in the USA teach the order of those colors?
  • edited May 2007
    In fact, indigo was created by the Church to have seven colours and not just six ;) for our eyes, there is nothing after violet, as there is nothing before red.
  • edited May 2007
    yoshi252 wrote: »
    Well, I'm also one of those, who didn't get the meaning of "Roy G. Biv" at all.. (at least prior to reading this thread).
    Must have something to do with the german school system (which I attended). I don't think, the colors of the rainbow are taught in germany.
    Do all schools in the USA teach the order of those colors?

I learned it in high school physics, personally. I still don't remember which end is the longer wavelength though.
  • edited May 2007
    tabacco wrote:
    I still don't remember which end is the longer wavelength though.
    Well, I'd say red :) (Violet is the shortest...)
  • edited May 2007
    I still don't see where Hugh Bliss being the one person who has never said 'morning' comes into it. Are we meant to know he's never said it from somewhere?
  • edited May 2007
    I still don't see where Hugh Bliss being the one person who has never said 'morning' comes into it. Are we meant to know he's never said it from somewhere?

I'm pretty sure that was just a non sequitor.
  • edited May 2007
    Blegh. Not impressed then, sorry! The joke was in the obscurity of the starting point of Sam's chain of reasoning, not the finale, so each step should have led logically from the last, no matter how thinly (all the rest did). It just made me feel I'd missed something.

Overanalysing a little, perhaps, but meh.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I'd have to see the transcript to really analyze it, but I thought it was a pretty funny set of jokes. Because I knew what "Roy G Biv" means, it was fairly obvious who it was, so seeing Sam jump through those bizarre logic hoops and ending up with something that didn't make any sense at all, then still coming up with the right answer, it was pretty funny to me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.