The adventurer's cap

edited January 2012 in Kings Quest Game
I always was slightly irked when later King's Quest games portrayed Graham's hat as looking blue:

Graham.png

when earlier games make it look obviously cyan.

27358480.png

Comments

• edited January 2012
    His first one had just been through the wash too many times.
  • edited January 2012
    The second one shows up at Alex's wedding, so, that's his "wedding casual" hat. :)
  • edited January 2012
    His first one was in EGA.
  • edited January 2012
    KQ4, is not the best 'example'. Since it goes between cyan, and greenish depending on the scenes...

In anycase, anyone interested in all the interpretations of graham's costumes;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Graham%27s_Wardrobe

What 'cyan' is to you, for many its 'light blue'...!

People seem to have different definitions of what cyan is;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Cyan&psj=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=338l874l0l1025l4l4l0l1l1l0l249l611l0.2.1l3l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=571&wrapid=tlif132690747398610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=UwAXT6ibHKaniAKc06W5Dw

Looks like 16 color cyan is lighter than higher color cyan (256-color scale)?

I suppose its a matter of 'inbetween' shades, tint and/or hue (whichever term is most relevent). How much green, or how much blue is combined together?

EGA only has 16 colors. VGA has 256 to choose from.

If we were to go into early boxart, Graham's hat colors vary between light blue, and green!
  • edited January 2012
    Cyan is blue-green, not light blue.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyan

Also, EGA does include dark and light blue. Cyan is not the same.
  • edited January 2012
    Well, it 'might not be the same', but some of the documentation/ingame text described his hat as 'blue' or 'light blue'. I can't think of any of the documenation using the term 'cyan'.

http://wasteland.wikispaces.com/EGA+Colour+Palette

While yes, 'light blue' is a EGA color, who knows why they didn't use it... Sometimes its 'contrast'? What colors are used in the environment? Water, sky, flowers, windows, etc.

Back then, due to limited colors, it was best to draw characters in such a way, to avoid them becoming camoflauged/invisible in the environment (like Graham's skin color on the beaches in KQ2)!

Think how many elements use the two 'blue' colors in KQ1 and KQ2, the blue skies (uses both regular blue and light blue), and lakes (uses both regular blue and light blue), and Oceans! The well? Castle Daventry's wallpaper, Etc.

But its interesting if you look at early artwork for Graham, as in the manual for the original release of KQ1, or the 2nd IBM box design. The artists did not depict Graham with a 'cyan' hat. More of a baby blue and light blue (i.e. the shade is not the same as EGA 'cyan').

Which if you combine with the fact of the reference to 'blue adventurer's cap' in those early games, and the blue appearance in later games, you have an idea what Roberta had intended to portray!

You'll notice in later games VGA, they gave the hat 3-4 shades of blueish colors to show light and darkness, and depth! The lighest shades are actually a lighter 'baby blue' than the even the 'light blue' in EGA!

So yes, it seems that they were trying to use 'cyan' as a kind of replacement for a kinda of 'baby blue' look.
  • edited January 2012
    Anyone wearing cyan colored clothes outside of an EGA monitor deserves an ass-kicking.

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    Anyone wearing cyan colored clothes outside of an EGA monitor deserves an ass-kicking.

Bt

Doesn't Alexander wear a cyan tunic in KQ5?:D
    ibmpc_kq5_cast.png
  • edited January 2012
    Alexander, in general, deserves an ass-kicking. I get the feeling he deserved everything that wizard gave him for the first 17 years!

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    Alexander, in general, deserves an ass-kicking. I get the feeling he deserved everything that wizard gave him for the first 17 years!

Bt

He is kind of a wimpy, puppy-like stalker type. I consider his obsession with Cassima to be a bit on the creepy side.
  • edited January 2012
    Kinda describes Mordack...
  • edited January 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Kinda describes Mordack...

luke-i-am-your-father.jpg

?

Also, Mordack is not a very timid, wimpy, puppy dog sort of guy. Desirous of Cassima? Yes. But Alexander is much more weird and wimpy about it. Perhaps it's Alexander's voice. He sounds so effete in KQ6.
  • edited January 2012
    Mordack did take the stalker thing to an extreme, though--kidnapping her, forcing her to be his servant unless she'd agree to marry? Psy-cho!
  • edited January 2012
    KatieHal wrote: »
    Mordack did take the stalker thing to an extreme, though--kidnapping her, forcing her to be his servant unless she'd agree to marry? Psy-cho!

Yeah, but that's standard evil guy stuff.
    Alex on the other hand meets a woman ONCE for a FEW MINUTES. Decides she "invited" him to visit her homeland when in truth she said no such thing, and is convinced she loves him throughout the story and is just obsessed with her.
  • edited January 2012
    Alex sounds the Beast in disney's beaty and the Beast... Well perhaps after he becomes the prince.

Yes I know same actor.

Let's be fair the magic mirror shows that Cassima has been pining away for "Alexaaaander, where are you? Alexanderrrrrr!"

If that's not an invitation, I don't what is...

Besides in KQ Companion they might have talked with each other a few more times between KQ5 and 6!

Of course once he finally finds Cassima, she's like "oh it really is you, I knew you would come."!

So it may not be that Alexander is a stalker but the victim of a beguiling witch! One who wanted him! He wasn't spying on her, but she was spying on and ensorcelling him!
  • edited January 2012
    That's at least one step more than Graham, who decided upon merely seeing Valanice in an image in the mirror, decided hey, I should marry that girl!
  • edited January 2012
    Well the the mirror gave him her background story, and kinda told him to persue her!

Although, I can't believe he wasn't warned about trusting 'easy' girls, that accept any joe blow who comes around...

Hmm I got a crazy conspiracy theory! Graham actually married Hagatha without knowing it! She tricked him with that bogus backstory she showed him in the mirror... That's why graham can't kill her, and that's why she was never seen again! She was in on the plot giving Alexander to Manannan and secretly involved with the castle's capture! It was an inside job!
  • edited January 2012
    KatieHal wrote: »
    That's at least one step more than Graham, who decided upon merely seeing Valanice in an image in the mirror, decided hey, I should marry that girl!

Choices were limited back then!

Besides, if a Magic Fuckin' Mirror showed me an image of a beautiful girl, I would say "Well, if she's good enough for a Magic Fuckin' Mirror, she's good enough for me!!!"

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    Especially a mirror that can never tell a lie, past, present or future!
  • edited January 2012
    Seriously, though, if I looked into a mirror one day and it magically showed me a picture of a sheep and said I was to marry it, I'd marry that sheep and move to Scotland to live a life free of oppression, no questions asked.

Bt
  • edited January 2012
    Besides, if a Magic Fuckin' Mirror showed me an image of a beautiful girl, I would say "Well, if she's good enough for a Magic Fuckin' Mirror, she's good enough for me!!!"

Bt

I should point out that the mirror is on the wall in the throne room, not affixed to the ceiling over Graham's bed.
  • edited January 2012
    According to the prologue stories in KQ1 and KQ2 it was in royal bed chambers a few times, when it sent them messages!
  • edited January 2012
    Imagine how carefully they must move it when they move it when redecorating.
  • edited January 2012
    If the mirror did crack I wonder how long it'd take for them to realize that it was actually cracked and not just showing them a vision of a cracked other mirror.
  • edited January 2012
    I don't think the Royal Family are a bunch of idiots.
  • edited January 2012
    the Royal Family are a bunch of idiots.

If that was the case, the 'blackened mirror' in KQ3, was black because someone just forgot to clean the soot off of it over the years!
  • edited January 2012
    I don't think the Royal Family are a bunch of idiots.

Technically they are only as smart as the player allows them to be.... so sometimes ... I bet they are.
  • edited January 2012
    Most of the time :p.
  • edited January 2012
    Yeah I dunno about you guys but they all seem to have some serious difficulties just going up and down basic stairways. Maybe they're not "idiots" per se, but they have some serious coordination issues.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.