Best and Worst KQ Costumes (credit to Katie)

KatieHal came up with this idea first, and it is a good one. It doesn't necessarily have to be the absolute best and worst costumes, it can be more of a discussion about the various costumes in the series.

I never particularly liked Valanice's KQ7 costume. But I think Edgar looked cool at the end of KQ7--The tunic and cape and whatnot. Some of Conor's outfits are really cool, though I wish they would've stuck with the Medieval Fisherman looking version of him.

Graham's outfit IMO is the best of course. I'm not really sure of what to think of Alex's in KQ6--Sometimes it looks cool to me but others it looks rather ridiculous. As for villains, it's a toss up between Lolotte, Mordack and Alhazred. Manannan is your standard dark wizard, Malicia is much akin to a female Disney witch type, and Lucreto...Lucreto is interesting, I will give him that. He probably comes in second place.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    I'm not a big fan of most of the costumes in KQ7. They were just so boring, and after the ones in KQ6 added so much detail (stripes, accents, patterns, etc), it's kind of a let down that KQ7's costumes are so plain.

Val's is an especially bad one, though. And Malicia's.
  • edited January 2012
    I'll say what I said on the POS forums: Valanice in KQ7 is a carbon copy of Lady Tremaine (the villain) from Disney's Cinderella. Odd choice for a reference model, but there it is.

And of course we can't forget KQ6 Alexander's rather eye-gouging "look, this totally isn't stolen from Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves!" costume. That gets my vote for worst.

I prefer some of the initial concept art drawings... especially the first one, with Alex wearing what seems to be a metal breastplate over a fancy embroidered shirt, and the third, which puts him apparently in Roman-style armor (a neat idea, if inconsistent with the usual "look" of Daventry). Not sure how I feel about the idea of Alex with long hair... it might be a good fit for the more "medieval" outfits, or that of the final game, but it'd clash horribly with the Roman-esque one.
  • edited January 2012
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I'll say what I said on the POS forums: Valanice in KQ7 is a carbon copy of Lady Tremaine (the villain) from Disney's Cinderella. Odd choice for a reference model, but there it is.

And of course we can't forget KQ6 Alexander's rather eye-gouging "look, this totally isn't stolen from Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves!" costume. That gets my vote for worst.

I prefer some of the initial concept art drawings... especially the first one, with Alex wearing what seems to be a metal breastplate over a fancy embroidered shirt, and the third, which puts him apparently in Roman-style armor (a neat idea, if inconsistent with the usual "look" of Daventry). Not sure how I feel about the idea of Alex with long hair... it might be a good fit for the more "medieval" outfits, or that of the final game, but it'd clash horribly with the Roman-esque one.

Well the "long haired Alex" goes along with Graham and Alex's descriptions in other works. It also fits the costume he's wearing better. His hair style in the final KQ6 is a bit puzzling. Sometimes it looks like long hair in a ponytail, sometimes it looks like long hair slicked back but only slightly long at the back of it...It's a bizarre hair style

I don't like the idea of Alexander in armor (since he's not doing a lot of fighting) nor in a Roman-esque set of armor or outfit. I consider Daventry to be more inspired by Medieval England than any other place, so it'd be kind out of place for what we see in Daventry. A Roman-esque set of armor would fit well amongst the Winged Ones, though.
  • edited January 2012
    But it's not KQ Game unless the male royalty of Daventry have mullets.

Graham's standard outfit, Alexander similar outfit in KQ5, and Connor's similar starting outfit all are very similar to traditional medieval peasant outfits. Jerkins and tights.
  • edited January 2012
    I don't think armor would have been fitting for Alex either. I mean, if he's going to have a D&D class, after all, it's clearly wizard, not fighter.
  • edited January 2012
    If he had worn armor he would have sunk to the bottom of the sea, and drowned before the game began... Just saying. Wouldn't have made for much of a game.
  • edited January 2012
    LOL, that too.
  • edited January 2012
    if he's going to have a D&D class, after all, it's clearly wizard, not fighter.

'thief', and 'assassin' might work as well...
  • edited January 2012
    Thief I could see--but the same can be said of the entire Royal Family.

Assassin? Who did he kill? And I'm talking people who aren't monsters--the Minotaur, for example. Mannanan didn't die, nor did he kill Alhazred.
  • edited January 2012
    I wish we knew the Minotaur's motivations. He may not have been entirely bad at heart, or maybe he was good and turned evil because of traumatic events from his past. Heck, he and Celeste might even be secretly related! That would make Alexander's heartless murdering of the minotaur very tragic indeed.
  • edited January 2012
    I honestly have never seen an outfit in a KQ game and thought..... "now that is BAD@$$.."
  • edited January 2012
    I'm pretty sure Celeste & the Minotaur were in love, but getting him killed was her way of saying "I'm dumping you."
  • edited January 2012
    The Minotaur's past? Well the version given in the game and the game manual, he's been killing Winged One's maidens for many years... At least from the time Derek Karlavaegen came to the island, when the Ferryman was just a boy.

Secondly, he is a sentient being, capable of language and speech, and has his own culture beliefs, practices and traditions (see creepy idols and alter in his room)... He is more than a 'monster'... In the same way that Beast is more than a monster (except the minotaur wasn't cursed by a witch). The winged ones send Alex in specifically to kill the beast, and rescue their daughter! Yes, Alexander was sent in to assassinate the Minotaur.

That and most everyone on the islands believes he is some kinda 'assassin' thanks to Alhazred! Of course Alhazred believed he was going to come to kill him as well! Alhazred is also the guy who acknowledges that Alexander is a 'thief', but that he is the 'master thief'! But its probably one of the reasons that Winged Ones think that Alexander will be able to successfully kill the Minotaur is probably because they already believe he is a skilled 'assassin'!

Alexander also killed Medusa! Poor old women, who just wants to be left alone to live her life in the desert!

In the official spin off material, Alexander even went back to destroy the Pirates, by using his spells to call on C'thulhu! LOL.
  • edited January 2012
    Well, if the KQ6 Minotaur is anything like the Minotaur from Greek mythology, then he's probably the illegitimate bestial offspring of Lady Aeriel and a bull (whom she likely seduced while wearing a mechanical wooden cow costume).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasipha%C3%AB
  • edited January 2012
    If that was the case, I bet it would have had wings... LOL.
  • edited January 2012
    Speaking of the Winged Ones... I always was intrigued by the original concept for their appearance--like living statues hewn from solid white marble, with eerie blank eyes. Very fitting to their Ancient Roman-style environment.

(Not that real Roman statues were so flawlessly white--often they were painted in gaudy colors, but the paint has worn off over time and Renaissance archaeologists failed to realize it was ever there.)

kq6earlywingedones.png

azure.png

aeriel.png

In the final game the much more human Winged Ones, all dark-haired, instead resemble the typical physical traits of actual ancient Romans. (Oddly, though, the KQ Companion subverts this intention by ascribing red hair to Lady Celeste, instead of the dark hair she has in the actual game.)

celestekqvi.png

wingguard.png

Perhaps it's for the best, as the "winged living statue" effect nowadays is more associated with Doctor Who....
  • edited January 2012
    I think the living statue thing would've been really cool. I wish that had stuck!

ETA: Oh god then they'd be the Angels from Doctor Who!! Ahh! (Awesome.)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.