Back to the Future: The Musical?

I'm not kidding. This is actually being discussed right now.

Here's the story on IGN.

So... yeah.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    ...*sigh*

I hope this turns out better than it sounds.
  • edited February 2012
    BttF's a little too heavy on the visuals to be a stage production, isn't it?

I just hope they don't follow up with a musical of BttF2...

three-michaels.jpg
  • edited February 2012
    It could definitely work. It's a story that revolves around strong character relationships. I said in another thread that I disapprove of the idea of remaking the film, because it's already a near-perfect film, but adapting it for the stage would open up a lot of different challenges and opportunities unique to that medium.
  • edited February 2012
    It's doomed to failure. You can't get a DeLorean to 88 miles per hour on a stage. :p
  • edited February 2012
    Can't say that I'm behind this idea.

As RAnthonyMahan said, the movie is mainly a visual experience so I really don't know how well some of the movie's more famous scenes would be translated to stage (ie the first test with the DeLorean, the climatic scene where Doc manages to connect the circuit just before the lightning strikes and sends the DeLorean back to 1985 etc.).

I feel like it'll just be another 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' (with less injuries); I think the songs will be mediocre and ultimately become quite forgettable.
  • edited February 2012
    Im halfway I would go to it but it needs to be good, Like Martin Mcfly said you cant really make the same kind of effect as the films did in a musical (action scenes mostly) But I think certain elements would work and they could add a Johnny B Goode :p
  • edited February 2012
    As RAnthonyMahan said, the movie is mainly a visual experience

BttF2 and 3 yeah, but 1 not that much. Like someone said it was more about the relationship between characters.
  • edited February 2012
    Origami wrote: »
    BttF2 and 3 yeah, but 1 not that much. Like someone said it was more about the relationship between characters.

I don't know, I think it's pretty debatable.

The first run with the DeLorean, the climax and the ending are all pretty effects driven. Even in the minor scenes (like the opening credits) where the camera slowly pans around Doc's garage, showing off all of his belongings, really set the mood for the movie.

Continuing to use the opening credits as an example, remember that it was your first main shot of the movie. As the camera pans, you begin to develop your own initial impression of Doc and make your own judgements by the character; I don't think something like that could properly be replicated on stage.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking but there's my two cents on the matter.
  • really any of the delorean scenes wouldnt work but especially part II where it flies.
  • edited February 2012
    Obviously it would be an adaptation. It wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't be a direct shot-for-shot recreation of the film. Film and theatre are different media with different conventions. If the music is good and the changes they make for the stage are interesting and creative enough it could be great.
  • edited February 2012

They stole mah idea!

It's ok, I forgive them.
  • Obviously it would be an adaptation. It wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't be a direct shot-for-shot recreation of the film. Film and theatre are different media with different conventions. If the music is good and the changes they make for the stage are interesting and creative enough it could be great.

I haven't been to a live musical in years, for car scenes don't they usually just have the car stationary and only 'mimick' it moving? Though the final shot of part I has it flying so i'm not sure how that could be accomplished
  • edited February 2012
    Will it work? Maybe. But either way it's a stupid idea. It's a cheep cash-in.
  • edited February 2012
    That's more a stage play than a musical. When I clicked this I sort of expected something like the off-broadway Evil Dead musical.
  • edited February 2012
    I haven't been to a live musical in years, for car scenes don't they usually just have the car stationary and only 'mimick' it moving? Though the final shot of part I has it flying so i'm not sure how that could be accomplished

If you have modern lighting/projection equipment you could do a lot of cool effects by projecting streaking lights around a stationary car. It'd probably be pretty unconvincing for a lot of real-world driving scenarios but you could do a pretty cool simulation of the BTTF time travel effect
  • edited February 2012
    The last Broadway Play I've seen recently was Godspell just a few weeks ago. Which I was rather shocked by, they pulled off the show really well. Even if they were performing on a stage that could fit in my basement. They had plenty energy, music, and joy through-out the whole thing which made it great an really memorable.

Back to the Future, while a great, I can't see transtioning well to the stage. It is possible, though it will require alot of hard work to get the visiual and atmosphere just right. For the musical's recreation of the scenes with the delorean I can imagine them just doing what they did for Radio City Christmas Music Spectacular and have the car on stage with wheels turning though not moving, while a nice animation of what the car's doing is happening on a screen behind it. A little bit simple; but I'm sure it would work!
  • also consider all the different scenes/settings in the first film
    1) docs lab
    2) road to the school
    3) the school 1985
    4) courthouse square 1985
    5) McFly house
    6) mall
    7) Peabody barn
    8) courthouse square 1955
    9) cafe
    10) street
    11) baines residence
    12) Brown mansion
    13) school 1955
    14) geroge's place

and of course many of these scenes are repeated. We've already discussed whether or not the delorean effects of time travel can be replicated but don't forget the fact that when there is time travel the setting itself needs to change instantly or the car needs to disappear or appear, 2 things nearly impossible to replicate on stage. Just think of the initial Einstein time trial; they may or may not be able to make it look like the delorean is going 88 MPH and fire trails but how are they going to have that car disappear for a minute and then come back?
  • edited February 2012
    also consider all the different scenes/settings in the first film
    1) docs lab
    2) road to the school
    3) the school 1985
    4) courthouse square 1985
    5) McFly house
    6) mall
    7) Peabody barn
    8) courthouse square 1955
    9) cafe
    10) street
    11) baines residence
    12) Brown mansion
    13) school 1955
    14) geroge's place

and of course many of these scenes are repeated. We've already discussed whether or not the delorean effects of time travel can be replicated but don't forget the fact that when there is time travel the setting itself needs to change instantly or the car needs to disappear or appear, 2 things nearly impossible to replicate on stage. Just think of the initial Einstein time trial; they may or may not be able to make it look like the delorean is going 88 MPH and fire trails but how are they going to have that car disappear for a minute and then come back?

Magician's tricks, or clever use of blacklighting. I've seen that sort of thing done before.

Also, a number of those scenes could take pieces from other parts (the school sets for example). And the street could just be in front of the curtain, where it will open up to Marty's mother's house.
  • edited February 2012
    You definitely couldn't just take the screenplay to Back to the Future and perform it on stage. The people doing the writing would have a challenging task to rework the themes and character dynamics into a form that would work with fewer sets and fewer special effects. I maintain that it's doable but that the question would be whether the new material stands up against the original.
  • edited February 2012
    I'm not entirely sure how many people saying this can't be done have actually seen a play on Broadway. Some of the "issues" are non-issues even for off-Broadway performances, and the effects available to Broadway stage productions are very impressive. Other issues feel like they're really misunderstanding how film to stage adaptations work.
  • edited February 2012
    For examples of flying car special effects on Broadway, look up productions of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLRf_DDDfLU
  • edited February 2012
    Fuck the musical! I want that Justin Beiber remake!
  • edited February 2012
    Tornreaper wrote: »
    Fuck the musical! I want that Justin Beiber remake!

Hope thats a joke or... :eek:
  • edited February 2012
    really any of the delorean scenes wouldnt work but especially part II where it flies.

What? Miss Saigon has a scene where people clamber to the top of the American Embassy in Vietnam, grasping for the lgs of a helicopter as it elevates into the sky, before the entire scene switches into sudden, dramatic slow motion.
  • edited February 2012
    I'm not entirely sure how many people saying this can't be done have actually seen a play on Broadway. Some of the "issues" are non-issues even for off-Broadway performances, and the effects available to Broadway stage productions are very impressive. Other issues feel like they're really misunderstanding how film to stage adaptations work.

This.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.