Hate LeChuck's design in Monkey Island Special Edition

The Monkey Island games have always been my favorite adventure game series. I just love them so much. This brings me to the special edition of Monkey Island 1. Guybrush looks great, looking more cartoony than realistic, as do the the others, but LeChuck looks atrocious. I can't believe what they have done to him! In the original game he was nice shade of blue, befitting to him as a ghost. Now his blue is all but gone, except for some blue hands and an aura about him. His pink face looks ridiculous. It's like a human head on a ghost body. What the heck! Nor do I like the red jacket. None of it feels right. It's a shame because the rest of the game looks so good. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    You're telling me! This version of LeChuck looks 100% better (not mine):
    lechuck_se_edit_by_jinndemonevil-d46kgt6.png
    P.S.: I found that awesome picture on deviantart (made by JinnDemonEvil), so there´s still the hope that someone (perhaps the artist?) will make a patch for it.
  • edited February 2012
    skitty85 wrote: »
    You're telling me! This version of LeChuck looks 100% better (not mine):
    lechuck_se_edit_by_jinndemonevil-d46kgt6.png
    P.S.: I found that awesome picture on deviantart (made by JinnDemonEvil), so there´s still the hope that someone (perhaps the artist?) will make a patch for it.

Skitty, this ghost LeChuck looks incredible! Even the red jacket has much more shades of blue which makes it look kind of cool. I wish this artist had of designed him for the special edition. I think this should be posted on the Lucarts forum - do they have a forum? - showing them how it should have been done.

Oh well. I'm glad they didn't give LeChuck a pink human head as a zombie. That would have looked extra stupid.
  • edited February 2012
    Oh well. I'm glad they didn't give LeChuck a pink human head as a zombie. That would have looked extra stupid.
    Oh, what a pity, so I guess you won´t like my German version of LeChuck:

lechucksecompi5v0y2aqwb.jpg

P.S.: Yes, they have a forum http://forums.lucasarts.com/index.jspa but I think we have to ask the artist first (and I don´t think they will change anything).
  • edited February 2012
    Hahahaha! German LeChuck Wins! ^^

Das Argh!!
  • edited February 2012
    Monkey Island 1 SE Guybrush looks... great? Does not compute. I hated how they used the Curse design as a base to make him. He looks too tall, and the hair is atrocious, and just too thin. He should look more like Michael J Fox than John Cleese imo.
  • edited February 2012
    StarEye wrote: »
    Monkey Island 1 SE Guybrush looks... great? Does not compute. I hated how they used the Curse design as a base to make him. He looks too tall, and the hair is atrocious, and just too thin. He should look more like Michael J Fox than John Cleese imo.

I must politely disagree. I've always seen Guybrush as skinny and awkward. He's a socially awkward character and his design in Curse, and the ones after, help accentuate that.
  • edited February 2012
    For me, Guybrush just had a boyish, innocent look, and not particularly strong, but not extremely skinny or tall. He didn't look like a geek. He was more a pretty-boy with a sharper wit than sword. That's why people didn't take him seriously from the first game. This is how he was portrayed in the first two games, and for me, that Guybrush will always be the "right" Guybrush.

What was awkward was, when Elaine told Guybrush his face looked too sweet to be a pirate in the first game. There is certainly nothing sweet about the way Guybrush looks nowadays. Geeky, skinny, etc, yeah, but not sweet.
  • edited February 2012
    Well, I must admit that I also don´t like the "slimsy" hair of Guybrush in Monkey Island 1 SE. It looks a bit like a toupee. :D

So besides LeChuck, Guybrush has to be changed, too:
    guybrush_se_edit_by_jinndemonevil-d250np0.png
    (again made by JinnDemonEvil)
  • edited June 2012
    skitty85 wrote: »
    Well, I must admit that I also don´t like the "slimsy" hair of Guybrush in Monkey Island 1 SE. It looks a bit like a toupee. :D

So besides LeChuck, Guybrush has to be changed, too:
    guybrush_se_edit_by_jinndemonevil-d250np0.png
    (again made by JinnDemonEvil)

That version of Guybrush is so much better! :eek: I didn't like many of the redesigns in the first special edition. LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition character designs (on the whole) were a lot better, and truer to the original.
  • edited June 2012
    Wow, feels like three years ago all over again...
  • edited July 2012
    I hated the updates provided by EFMI and the Special Editions. They gave LeChuck a stiff beard, which kills the coll writhing beard idea he had. Then they also ruined his crispy beard from MI2 by making him some sort of patchwork freak. I know the best thing is to ignore MI4 entirely, but it really builds a strong case that all updates to the old games are bad.
  • edited July 2012
    Those new designs are insanely cool!

Although, I didn't mind the hyper-dork look of SE Guybrush.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.