A little problem.... (This user is D E A F)

While I do appreciate the subtitles that comes with ToMI - as I am a huge MI fan, but I'm also deaf, and I ran into a problem that does affect me as a deaf gamer.

I was stuck for three days trying to figure out the solution to the Ninja Dave's map, then I decided to take a peek at the walkthough - guess what I found?

"The way this map works is through the audio clues. On each jungle screen, the path choices have different animal sound tied to each one, so you need to listen to the background noise to find the correction direction."

That poses a BIG problem for deaf gamers. Could someone please provide a patch where sounds can be at least SEEN if it's *that* important? I remember a few MI map quests that did have that.

Or at least give me a save game that bypass the audio part of this quest so I can move on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I even tried to follow the walkthrough query - but it did not make any sense - I guess it has to do with listening for certain noises.

Thank you!

Hawkeye-X

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Hi Hawkeye-X! Welcome to the forums!

I would be more than happy to help you with that. However, there are TWO puzzles that take place in the forest. If it's okay with you, I can play the game and pass both those puzzles, then give you the savegame...

OR I could play the game and write down the directions in which you need to go and you can pass those puzzles yourself! I think the audio stuff is not random so it should work if I carefully write down every direction (just like a real pirate, argh!) :)

Which option would you prefer?
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Hawkeye-X! Welcome to the forums!

I would be more than happy to help you with that. However, there are TWO puzzles that take place in the forest. If it's okay with you, I can play the game and pass both those puzzles, then give you the savegame...

OR I could play the game and write down the directions in which you need to go and you can pass those puzzles yourself! I think the audio stuff is not random so it should work if I carefully write down every direction (just like a real pirate, argh!) :)

Which option would you prefer?

I would like the directions written down (and told to keep going until I see X then turn north to go to Y then back south to Z)

Know what I mean, Vern? (12th anniversary of his death)
  • edited February 2012
    Gotcha. I'll get right on it :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    [SPOILERRR!!]

The first path after using map & well should be

right (then collect bombs, continue)
    right
    up (= the upper path, looks like it's going right)
    down (ignore D'Oro, continue)
    down
    up (= that upper path back), then
    left at the altar

You use the directions after the screen changes. OK that way? Guybrush will continue to utter things like "so far so good" if you're doing it right.

Second path
    Use map with ALTAR this time
    continue down
    left (front path)
    determine path with weather vane -> up
    use flowers with well
    weather vane --> right
    left (exactly the direction you came from)
    weather vane --> left
    walk around symbol counter-clockwise
    weather vane --> up

If I remember correctly, there are no sound-based puzzles in the following episodes, so we'd just have to get you through this one. Also, after completing these mazes once, they will be reachable from your map, so you won't have to repeat these puzzles. Good luck! ;)
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks Vainamoinen. :) I owe you one.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks for your help - that walkthrough was cake.

Now I'm already on Chapter 2....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.