Off Screen Jokes

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
So I'm pretty sure everyone who likes Sam and Max enjoys the small commentary on random items or the point-and-click scenery, but I've come across little off screen tidbits that you can only see in the background after interacting with an on screen item.

I've only seen this happen a few times, I think I really started noticing these things by Episode 3 in the office; when you click on Hubert (The Lush Vegitation XD) In the background theres a little doodle of Flint calling bad guys boneheads and beating 'em up.

Is this the only off screen gag out there? Just wondering.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    There are tons of details in the background art that you don't really see in the game due to the camera angles. Sometimes you get a glimpse of them with a certain camera angle. The war song is a good example of this - Jake made a point of using camera angles that showed some of the gags that aren't really obvious in the playable parts of the game.

Our environment modelers come up with some funny stuff. :D
  • edited May 2007
    Those visual gags that are only seen when the camera is in a certain spot are probably the best jokes to hunt for. Really adds to the replay value, especially for someone like me who can't read some of the titles of the books in the OO in Episode 4 for one reason or another. (I blame my video card.)
  • edited May 2007
    DON'T SMOKE KIDS !!!!
    Unless You're on fire.
    Then it's only natural.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHA
  • edited May 2007
    The office desk has bumper-stickers on it advertising trips to the sun and the city dump. You mostly only see them when it closes up a bit during the opening sequences. Also, the book between the VCR and the tv has a title ending in "scenes". I wonder if that's going to play a role in the upcoming DVD ;) Another one I liked is that next to the donut box is an empty bottle of "Purcell Root Beer" (I think you can get a closeup of the donut box by clicking it in episode 5).
  • edited May 2007
    what about the office's wall on the same side as the player view? I think I saw a glimpse of text on it in episode 2.
  • edited May 2007
    It has a bench, various sketches and post-its behind it, the bullet-hole silhoutte, and a pin-the-tail-on-Max poster.
  • edited May 2007
    It would be fun to be able to enter a dev mode and be able to move through the environments in a free-moving first person camera mode. Any way this would be possible, TT?
  • edited May 2007
    Perhaps as a reward for finishing each episode, you could get a code to unlock a special "ghost mode" where you could move around in any direction using the mouse to point and WASD to move? :D
  • edited May 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Another one I liked is that next to the donut box is an empty bottle of "Purcell Root Beer" (I think you can get a closeup of the donut box by clicking it in episode 5).

Donuts and root beer, the food of the gods. :p
  • edited May 2007
    Simpler than that, I'd be happy with a button that switched to first-person view, even if I couldn't move while in that mode. Just to look around a bit.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    The problem with breaking the fourth wall like that is that, in some cases, you'd discover that there's no fourth wall to break, and the empty blackness of infinite unmodeled untextured space would drive you insane. There's no turning back, really.
  • edited May 2007
    So, what you're saying is that the fourth wall in S&M is actually a massive engine leak? From my limited experience of mapping for HL2, leaks cause instability and hog memory, (aside from how horrible they look) maybe this was the problem with episode 3? If im right then the problem could be fixed by filling the leak with a blank wall. If i'm wrong then the solution to the problem you've already solved evades me due to my lack of coding knowledge.

Enlighten me!
  • edited May 2007
    I think what Jake is trying to say is that they don't really want to implement a first person view feature. ;)
    edited May 2007
    Panda90 wrote: »
    So, what you're saying is that the fourth wall in S&M is actually a massive engine leak? From my limited experience of mapping for HL2, leaks cause instability and hog memory, (aside from how horrible they look) maybe this was the problem with episode 3? If im right then the problem could be fixed by filling the leak with a blank wall. If i'm wrong then the solution to the problem you've already solved evades me due to my lack of coding knowledge.

Enlighten me!

We don't use the Half Life 2 engine. Plus, I was just joking around.

Also it's worth noting, if you want to get down to it, that the new environments in episode 3 are all wholly enclosed spaces with all six walls. That said, I don't think 'leaks' are an issue in our tool in the same sense that they are in Source maps.
  • edited May 2007
    If there's one thing I love, it's when the fourth wall gets broken...
  • edited May 2007
    Also, missing walls in environments do not cause memory leaks :)
  • edited May 2007
    I figured that if there was a wall missing, the memory would just leak out? You gotta seal it up :P

(I have no idea what's going on)
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Also, missing walls in environments do not cause memory leaks :)

Well, if you happen to step through the missing wall, you may fall and hit yourself in the head. That may cause memory leaks.:rolleyes:
  • edited May 2007
    If there's one thing I love, it's when the fourth wall gets broken...

Especially when explosives are involved.
  • edited May 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Well, if you happen to step through the missing wall, you may fall and hit yourself in the head. That may cause memory leaks.:rolleyes:

Reminds me of that time I was playing EverQuest (uhg) and I fell through the ground until I got an error saying my Z coordinates were way too low. Well, no kidding! Sheesh! :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Simpler than that, I'd be happy with a button that switched to first-person view, even if I couldn't move while in that mode. Just to look around a bit.

It would be cool if the game were first person, but that would completely spoil the fun of hunting them by interacting with everything possible.

It also seems that if not most, then all of these jokes are inside the office, it may be like that just because its so small and less of a need to explore in there than other episode themed areas. Let me know if this is right, i'm dying to know XD
  • edited May 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Especially when explosives are involved.

Who needs explosives? One quick stab at the producers/developers will do the trick...
  • edited May 2007
    Always violence with you people XD makes me want to go hit someone at random.
  • edited May 2007
    You should go see my Max MSpaint drawing. ;)
  • edited May 2007
    I know! How about a bonus Sam & Max FPS mode where the neighborhood is a CTF map and it's all out Sam vs Max mayhem!

IDKFA
    edited May 2007
    idspispopd
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Ah.... ID Smashing pumpkins into small pieces of putrid debris
    Good ol' Doom
Sign in to comment in this discussion.