Sexuality in Sam and Max

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
(Boy, is this one gonna be controversial)

Please, don't be crass or Rude here, or start posting sam and Max Pr0n, I'd like serious discussion.

Anyway. I've finished Season 1, and there seems to be a LOT of sexual tension, Even more so than any of the comics, or Hit the road. Sam and Max's "Platonic" relationship, Bosco dressing up as his mother, Sybil's perfect match being the severed head of the Lincoln Monument... Hell, Sybil almost outs our fave dectective duo in Episode 4!

Anyone care to discuss?

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    These modern times...
  • edited May 2007
    Hell, Sybil almost outs our fave dectective duo in Episode 4!
    I'm posting a major spoiler here for the final episode of Season 2, but Max is actually a girl. (Honestly, where else but in the feminine mystique do you find such a mix of adorable and malicious?)
  • edited May 2007
    Yet Max reads Playbunny. Does that mean Max is a lesbian? -grin-

But seriously, since bosco won't tell us, can TTG tell us why the hell he dressed up like his mother in Bright side of the moon?
  • edited May 2007
    Hey Max doesn't even like girls.. It must be a reflection of the writers sexual tension..anything going on between brendan and dave?

:p
  • edited May 2007
    Wanna rub my unicorn?
  • edited May 2007
    "Harder...... Harrrrder......"

:p
  • edited May 2007
    I think this is one reason why one should play s and m season 1 as oppose to HTR: More character development!! LOL

I mean you know the two are gay for each other, which is a okay to me. This is comming from a straight guy, btw.
  • edited May 2007
    Sam: Wanna rub my unicorn?
    Bosco: I'M NOT THAT KIND OF WOMAN!
    :D
  • edited May 2007
    Here's my theory on Bosco's mother-dressing. Many, many moons ago, there was a bright young man named Stephen Purcell. The world was his oyster, and he couldn't have been happier. One fine day, Steve said to the local barkeep, Mabel,
    "Say, I have an idea. People like to laugh, right? Well, how about a comic about two 'freelance police' named Sam & Max? Sam could be a lovable dog whose personality harkens back to the time of Bogart, and Max could be a rabbit with a severe mental disorder!"

Steve rushed home that night, sketchbook in hand, and began drawing at a feverish pace. The rest was history.

Cut to 2007, at the Telltale Headquarters/Steakhouse. A bright young man named David Grossman sat at his desk, wondering how to capture the vision of Steve Purcell for the 6th time. He scanned the Telltale forums for inspiration, since a delightful ragamuffin named ShaggE often posted there, and everyone at Telltale was always talking about how they should hire him to write Season 2.

Unfortunately, ShaggE was away that week, so Dave had to come up with something funny on his own. He asked himself, "What would ShaggE do?".

He thought, and thought some more. "EUREKA!" Dave exclaimed. "I'll have Bosco crossdress! Nobody will expect it!"

And so, a joke was born. This concludes our story on why the dude looks like a lady. Visit your local library for more info.

:D
  • edited May 2007
    ShaggE your mother hugged you too much as a child didnt she
  • edited May 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    I mean you know the two are gay for each other, which is a okay to me. This is comming from a straight guy, btw.

-is not gay-
  • edited May 2007
    I kinna help it, every time I leave the apartment I have to fend off crowds of screaming fans using only my wits and a katana forged by the greatest ninja artisans ever to walk the earth. If I don't entertain people, the fans might overpower me and steal my secret cache of explode-y muffins... all would be lost.
  • edited May 2007
    Wanna rub my unicorn?
    Just beat it!
  • edited May 2007
    Anyone found a "hot coffee mod" yet?

--Erwin
  • edited May 2007
    And let's not forget the implications of the series' abbreviation:
    S&M
  • edited May 2007
    I found an episode on YouTube where Max gets a watch that let's him time travel. It showed "little Max" in a dress at one point.

Just adding fuel to the fire.
  • edited May 2007
    Okay, now, let's see what i've found out so far...

1: Sam and Max? Gay. Woohoo!

2: Bosco? Wierd. Like we didn't know already.

3: Grossman? Needs to go have a nice chat with Sybil. A Nice. Long. Chat. :P

---

Now. For a
    colony of space-faring bacteria
    , Hugh Bliss is a might fruity, too. Come on, Personal rainbows?
    But that's just Hugh Bliss. What do I know?
  • edited May 2007
    but the carpet didn't match the drapes
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    subtext.jpg
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    off-topic: Are those tire markings on the wall?
  • edited May 2007
    That would be correct. Don't ask how they got there. :I
  • edited May 2007
    Squinky, you crack me up, little buddy!

And by that, well, you know what I mean.
  • edited May 2007
    That would explain all the jokes in the cartoon series where Sam reminds Max that he's not interested in women... :/

I would say we're venturing too deep into the rabbit hole here, but that's a double entendre beyond the boundaries of good taste :P
  • edited May 2007
    I seriously don't care for these implications.
  • edited May 2007
    Nobody's implying anything that hasn't been implied in the games themselves.

Sam's dream, the dating service results, the unicorn jokes, just to name a few. Granted, they more hint at psychosis than an alternate lifestyle, but it's all just speculation. I'll stop though if I'm offending anyone. :)
  • edited May 2007
    I don't think the implications are that strong in the games, and I'm glad, because implications are no fun if they do more than... imply. Straight people commonly make jokes about being gay, which means all the unicorn gags could mean nothing (besides, Sam could be completely oblivious to what he was asking), then Sybil clearly misinterprets everything in the dream (that's the whole point!) and the dating sevice results really just indicate that Sam and Max could be right for each other IF they were gay. Remember Sam says 'she should...' for all the criteria in the form, and when he says Max doesn't even like girls, Max asks 'I don't?' (not sure whether that's HTR or TTG).

The fact all this speculation is in the air is kind of funny, but Sam and Max's sexualities are inconsequential - we should never know the answer, not even to a reasonable degree of certainty (unlike, for example, Smithers in the Simpsons, where the humour came from his obvious closetness... although I hear they've ruined yet another running joke there by outing him in a newish episode)!
  • edited May 2007
    That "motivational poster" was hilarious.

For me, the dating service scene confirmed that at least Sam is interested in girls. Max... um... He's mostly in love with chaos. If a female were to be such an instrument of destruction ("hooks for hands! hooks for hands!"), well, then maybe.

Oh, about the unicorn thing - I don't think we can interpret it as Sam being clueless as to what he's really asking. After all, when he asks Pennyworth, and Pennyworth objects to being called Featherly, Sam says that's "not the part I expected you to object to."
  • edited May 2007
    lol yes, I forgot about the Pennyworth bit. Love Sam's response to it :D
  • edited May 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    I mean you know the two are gay for each other
    Shut. Up. Now.

By the way, I think that the idea that Max "doesn't like girls" is implying that he's immature, not gay.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Also he's a lagomorph.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    I think people should be more concerned about the fact that Sam and Max are of different species, rather than of the same sex.
  • edited May 2007
    That's a very insightful comment, Squinky. I would be more concerned about the fact that people are discussing the sexuality of cartoon characters.
  • edited May 2007
    I just honestly believe this thread should be locked before it explodes.
  • edited May 2007
    Lets not forget the glaring obvious that while both lovable cartoon animals, Sam is fully clothed yet Max is totaly nekkid.

:o
  • edited May 2007
    Here's a thought--Sam & Max FOOLED YOU into thinking that they were homos, when in reality they were just being funny.
  • edited May 2007
    That's what my post on the history of Bosco's dress was pretty much saying.
  • edited May 2007
    Speaking of Bosco's "disguise" in Episode 6, I found it so hideous I couldn't bare to look for quite a while.
  • edited May 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Also he's a lagomorph.

There's girl rab-er, lagomorphs too!

Also, don't lock this. It is entertaining. ;)
  • edited May 2007
    Why can't this all just be a psychological issue from one or more of the Telltale producers reflected in the game? :D
    Just think about it, maybe it has nothing to do with Sam or Max at all :eek:
  • edited May 2007
    I'm posting a major spoiler here for the final episode of Season 2, but Max is actually a girl. (Honestly, where else but in the feminine mystique do you find such a mix of adorable and malicious?)

In episode 6 when they say max is a bad infleuence, sam replies "that he is momma bosco." He says nothing about it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.