Since when was Rosella the most hated KQ character?

edited March 2012 in Kings Quest Game
http://uk.gamespy.com/articles/104/1041283p1.html

I'm not sure I agree with this guy's premise...

Comments

• edited March 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    http://uk.gamespy.com/articles/104/1041283p1.html

7. "King's Quest: See No Weevil" by Kenyon Morr

"King's Quest: See No Weevil" makes this list for two reasons.

First, "See No Weevil?" Really? What, did you think of the title first? How about "King's Quest: An Unbearable Problem With Bears?" Or "King's Quest: Foxy Valanice is Turned into a Fox, Get It?"

Second, this is the penultimate title in the entire King's Quest franchise, the last being King's Quest: Mask of Eternity. This book murdered the series and Mask Of Eternity pooped in its skull. What was once a bright spot in the computer gaming world turned into a generic fantasy setting filled with annoying princesses and generic heroes. Or, as it's better known, Everquest.

As for the story, Rosella, the Jar Jar Binks of the King's Quest universe, is forced to watch over Daventry when Graham and Valanice leave town. Hilarity ensues because Rosella is a teenaged girl and, well, you know teenaged girls!

Let me repeat that: The last novel in the King's Quest series is literally about the most beloved characters leaving the most hated character alone to do whatever she wants. It's sort of like how my favorite episodes of "Star Trek" were the ones where Wesley Crusher went sweater shopping.
    I agree. People assume that Rosella is a much weaker character in KQ7 than in KQ4, but the truth is that Rosella doesn't have that much dialogue or emotional narrative in KQ4. So, because she's mostly a "silent heroine" for KQ4, most people attribute personality to her in that game that it's never clear she had.

Besides that, Rosella is not Jar Jar Binks. The problem with Jar Jar (aside from his racially derogatory traits) is that he exists purely for the purpose of providing low-brow slapstick humor when the Original Trilogy's humor stemmed from the interactions between the characters. In a nutshell, Jar Jar is hated because he dumbs down Star Wars.

Rosella, on the other hand, is a character for whom it is perfectly reasonable to like and she fits just fine into the series. The fact is, however, that many people seem to like being on the Troll-KQ7-bandwagon, and so give her character undue hatred primarily because it's popular.
  • edited March 2012
    While I'm not entirely fond of her personality in KQ7, and that is my least favorite KQ game (for its style and silliness), that does not mean I dislike her as a character...

KQ4 is one of my top favorite KQ games, on a given day... She is a pretty strong character in that game (no stronger or weaker than any other KQ characters in their respective games though), what little she says, or the game describes her as saying...

There are only a couple of spots where the game describes her "princessessy" personality, such as when she kisses the frog, or her reaction to the snobbish prince... But those personalities are similar to the princess in the same situation in the Frog Prince and similar fairy tale stories... Though some of the roles were reversed in Rosella's version of the story! ...or the kind of joke reaction to Edgar described in the narration as a 'hunk' (even going as far of her strongly thinkign of eloping with him at first sight), then finally blowing him off...

There isn't even much you can pull from her personality in Hoyle I, that's negative either;

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Rosella_quotes_(Hoyle_I)

Also while I'm critical of KQ7, I don't hate the game... It being my least favorite, should not equate to total dislike or hatred. It was still a fun game...

I'm also fairly critical of KQ3 for other reasons (its weaknesses, lack of true puzzles, etc), but that doesn't mean I hate the game. I had alot fun with it...
  • edited March 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    The fact is, however, that many people seem to like being on the Troll-KQ7-bandwagon, and so give her character undue hatred primarily because it's popular.

So, only people who like KQ7 are capable of honest evaluation, and anyone who disagrees is doing so because it's popular. Do you like living in denial?
    People assume that Rosella is a much weaker character in KQ7 than in KQ4, but the truth is that Rosella doesn't have that much dialogue or emotional narrative in KQ4. So, because she's mostly a "silent heroine" for KQ4, most people attribute personality to her in that game that it's never clear she had.

It's fairly standard to regard a male character who undertakes arduous quests -- even or especially those who say little and have few emotional reactions -- as being valiant and resolute. So is there any cause for doubt as to whether KQ4 Rosella was a strong heroine -- any reason to believe she might have been whiny and self-centered just like KQ7 Rosella -- other than the fact that she's female?

I agree with you, Baggins -- I don't know what the writer is basing that statement on. I don't "hate" KQ7 or KQ7 Rosella, even though to me the KQ4 version will always be the "real" Rosella. And I've never seen any widespread hatred of Rosella in the KQ fanbase...
  • edited March 2012
    Also I have read See No Weevil... She is pretty much a blend of her KQ4 and KQ7 characterizations...

Each source has a touch of the 'proud pretty princess' of fairy tales motif... SNW is no different...

She is still very strong and strong-willed character. She makes mistakes, she admits to them, and she goes out and fixes them... In the end she earns respect from her peers, and citizens... It is in my opinion a reasonable and realistic interpretation of how Rosella would have been before she grew into the girl we know in KQ4 and KQ7 (or even the little we see in KQ3, 5, and 6), and Hoyle.

But there are elements mostly towards the beginning, where she is a little 'whiny', not anymore than Rosella's "Ewwwwwwwwww" remarks in KQ7, over bugs and dead things (which ironically she gives similar remarks over bugs and dead things in See No Weevil)...
  • edited March 2012
    thom-22 wrote: »
    So, only people who like KQ7 are capable of honest evaluation, and anyone who disagrees is doing so because it's popular. Do you like living in denial?
    No. People who would attribute Rosella's character in KQ7 (regardless of the game itself) as being worthy of comparing her to Jar Jar Binks--when clearly they don't consider why Jar Jar is so hated--are clearly either trolling, or else bitching because other people complain about KQ7 in general, and they want to join in on the fun by exaggerating a complaint to a ridiculous degree.
  • edited March 2012
    I agree. People assume that Rosella is a much weaker character in KQ7 than in KQ4, but the truth is that Rosella doesn't have that much dialogue or emotional narrative in KQ4. So, because she's mostly a "silent heroine" for KQ4, most people attribute personality to her in that game that it's never clear she had.

Besides that, Rosella is not Jar Jar Binks. The problem with Jar Jar (aside from his racially derogatory traits) is that he exists purely for the purpose of providing low-brow slapstick humor when the Original Trilogy's humor stemmed from the interactions between the characters. In a nutshell, Jar Jar is hated because he dumbs down Star Wars.

Rosella, on the other hand, is a character for whom it is perfectly reasonable to like and she fits just fine into the series. The fact is, however, that many people seem to like being on the Troll-KQ7-bandwagon, and so give her character undue hatred primarily because it's popular.

I don't hate Rosella as a character. I just hate what they did to her character in King's Quest 7. You're right, she had little dialogue in King's Quest 4, but the little dialogue she had still presented her as a strong character. I see her more like an Eowyn, from Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings," minus a sword and chain mail. Seven did turn her into a Saturday morning-like cartoon character, which helped ruin the game. To this day, I see King's Quest 4 as one of the very best King's Quest games. I hope when people think of Rosella they think of KQ4, not 7.
  • edited March 2012
    Seems like the writer of that article was trying way too hard to be funny... Failing IMHO.
  • edited March 2012
    Come on AdventureGamer, you are exaggerating a bit too much... Sure she has her 'whiny/squeemish bits' in KQ7, but she evolves throughout the story, and turns out to be the main heroine in the game... The strong heroine who defeats the villain, rescues the Troll king, save Edgar, and saves the world... Rosella is nothing but respectful to most of the characters she encounters in the world...

Valanice's purpose is mainly to restore the leadership of Etheria and Eldritch, rescue Mab, Ceries, Attis, Vlad Tepes, Elspeth, Oberon, and Titania, so that they can hold back the volcano, and so that the royal family can reunite with their son...

Also case in point we know that Rosella has her 'whiny/squeemish/teenage bits' in KQ4 described by the narrator... Her reaction to kissing a frog, her reaction to Edgar, her later reaction to the 'humanized' Edgar, etc...

But its never that overdone...
  • edited March 2012
    Come on AdventureGamer, you are exaggerating a bit too much... Sure she has her 'whiny/squeemish bits' in KQ7, but she evolves throughout the story, and turns out to be the main heroine in the game... The strong heroine who defeats the villain, rescues the Troll king, save Edgar, and saves the world... Rosella is nothing but respectful to most of the characters she encounters in the world...

Valanice's purpose is mainly to restore the leadership of Etheria and Eldritch, rescue Mab, Ceries, Attis, Vlad Tepes, Elspeth, Oberon, and Titania, so that they can hold back the volcano, and so that the royal family can reunite with their son...

Also case in point we know that Rosella has her 'whiny/squeemish/teenage bits' in KQ4 described by the narrator... Her reaction to kissing a frog, her reaction to Edgar, her later reaction to the 'humanized' Edgar, etc...

But its never that overdone...

Touche, Baggins! I stand corrected. She certainly did have her whiney bits in KQ4. How could have I not remembered all that? To be honest, I appreciate you pointing that all out. Still, I think they made seven way too cartoony than it needed to be. And the villain could have been better. But yeah, you are right on the points about Rosella being a bit bratty in four. Again, I have no shame in admitting when I'm wrong.
  • edited March 2012
    Adventuregamer, I don't disagree that as a whole KQ7 is way too cartoony than it needs to be...

In some cases that has to do with B-grade animation studios being used for some of the animation, not even Disney or Don Bluth A-grade quality... It goes more towards the Looney Tunes physics than 'realism'...

Also I don't disagree about Malicia being the weakest villain in the entire series...
  • edited March 2012
    No. People who would attribute Rosella's character in KQ7 (regardless of the game itself) as being worthy of comparing her to Jar Jar Binks--when clearly they don't consider why Jar Jar is so hated--are clearly either trolling, or else bitching because other people complain about KQ7 in general, and they want to join in on the fun by exaggerating a complaint to a ridiculous degree.

You're still judging the legitimacy of someone else's opinion based on your own, if you only allow differences to a certain degree. The guy clearly dislikes Rosella as do others (at least in KQ7), so who's to say that he doesn't really find her as annoying as he finds Jar Jar? Take any subject of any kind and somebody somewhere has an extreme opinion about it. If you want to pretend they don't and attribute it to trolling, that's your business. But as someone who occasionally has extreme opinions herself, I see too many people who refuse to believe that I believe what I say I believe when I know damn well that I really do believe what I say I believe. :eek:
  • edited March 2012
    I like Rosella and I like Jar-Jar Binks.

Bring it, internet.

Bt
  • edited March 2012
    Alexander is the worst KQ protagonist. A soft spoken, gentle, effete wuss. I really dislike him.
  • edited March 2012
    Besides there is absolutely NO WAY Cedric isn't the Jar Jar of KQ.... I will tickle fight ANYONE who disagrees.
  • edited March 2012
    Actually technically it would be Jar Jar is the Cedric of Star Wars... Since Cedric came first.

But personally I don't find Cedric half as annoying as Jar Jar...

Especially the original floppy based Cedric, isn't annoying at all...
  • edited March 2012
    I agree actually... The only thing that irks me about him is the voice acting.... Why do so many games an movies think it's a good idea to have a full grown male actor speaking that falsettoish voice? Speaking of that my kids watched a puss in boots rip off movie on Netflix where Shatner spoke in a similar fashion ... Made me want to ground them for subjecting me to that torture... Why hire the Shat as a voice actor and not have him talk like himself?
  • edited March 2012
    I think Cedric may have arrived after Scrappy-Doo. Besides, the latter is the Trope Namer for The Scrappy!
  • edited March 2012
    I think Cedric is still a bit manlier than Alexander.
  • edited March 2012
    I think Cedric is still a bit manlier than Alexander.

I dunno. I can't see Cedric holding a sword and fighting the vizier or turning his slave master into a cat. Cedric saving Graham's life from Mordack was on accident.

Anyway, the way she's portrayed in kq7, I thought Rosella acted sorta ditzy in that game and after awhile it got annoying.
  • edited March 2012
    Will you all think less of me because i found KQ7 enjoyable?
  • edited March 2012
    Yes. Sorry.
  • edited March 2012
    Haters gonna hate. =\
  • edited March 2012
    I thought Cedric was the most hated KQ character and Connor was the most hated protagonist.

Personally I actually like Rosella and besides Graham she is my favourite KQ hero. Her games are good, although I enjoyed KQ4 more than KQ7 (which had too easy puzzles, but otherwise it was enjoyable game). While some say that she is annoying because she complains, but I say that she has much more character than her brother, who is too nice to everyone (even to his enemies).
  • edited March 2012
    tbh, I like the Rosella chapters of KQ7 better than the Valanice ones.
  • edited March 2012

Is there anyone who doesn't?
  • edited March 2012
    Depends on the chapters... Some are good and some are bad... Doesn't matter which character is being played...

There is one or two Valanice chapters, and one or two Rosella chapters that are the best in the game...

I love the Valanice chapter were you go around Etheria and visit Dreamland, and bring back Oberon and Titania... It's one of the strongest chapters in the game with great puzzles...

The first chapter, and the last chapter are pretty weak... The final chapter is probably the weakest chapter in the game... It's all on 'autoplay' for most of the act...

Although I do like the ability to do 'alternate solutions' offered in the first chapter, and that's something that would have been nice to see in later chapters (the choice between two different flowers later in the game doesn't really count)... I also like the ghost character, Colin, one of the more interesting, serious and enigmatic characters in the game...

Not that big of a fan any of the sections taking place in Falderal, as they are overly silly...

The stuff in Ooga Booga for both characters is kinda hit and miss as well, as it is also somewhat overly silly, but has elements of seriousness...
  • edited March 2012

I agree. Rosella bothered me some times in KQ7 but she was more tolerable than Valanice. I was disappointed Chapter 6 was so short.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.