hand-painted graphics for King's Quest

I just thought of something. You know what would be awesome for the next King's Quest game! Hand-painted graphics! Look at how beautiful the graphics of KQ5 and 6 are! They had hand painting backgrounds. Those hand-painted backgrounds, though they make look a tad dated, are still extremely beautiful and they really fit the storybook, fairly tale feel of the King's Quest world. Do you guys think that Telltales should make their King's Quest game in the graphical style of KQ5 and 6? I do, but what do all of you think?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Keep in mind that KQ7 was also hand painted...

The individual textures in KQ8 were also hand painted bits of artwork (but low-poly 3-D ruins the effect)...
  • edited April 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Keep in mind that KQ7 was also hand painted...

The individual textures in KQ8 were also hand painted bits of artwork (but low-poly 3-D ruins the effect)...

Yeah, but KQ7's handpainted artwork sucked.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't know I thought the backgrounds in the desert, and forests, even Etheria were very well done, very beautiful... The swamp was very nicely done too... |

Ooga Booga has its very Tim Burtonesque style to it... Still rather darkly beautiful...

Falderal fall more towards the fuly silly side, and is my least favorite location in the game, my least favorite artwork in the game...

BTW, there is a lo-res VGA demo for KQ7 out there, that came with one of the KQ collections that shows off several areas from in the game. In VGA, the background artwork is very comparable to the artwork seen in KQ5, and the true-handpainted stuff in KQ6 in style.

So my guess is alot of the bias, is based on a love and nostalgia for the VGA pixellations rather than the resolution of the artwork itself....

Also keep in mind KQ6's art style is substly different than KQ5... Not all of it is technically hand painted. It had alot of blue-screen computer re-colored elements incorporated into them (particularly the humanoid closeups)...
  • edited April 2012
    Have you guys ever seen any of the Disney blurays on a large TV? The backgrounds from movies like Beauty and the Beast in particular look amazing in HD--you can really see the texture of the paintings, brushstrokes and all, and it goes a long way towards giving the movie more of a storybook feel. I think something like that would be awesome for King's Quest.
  • edited April 2012
    I haven't seen a blue ray version... But Beauty and the Beast is one of Disney's best looking films... One of my all time favorites... It has wonderful artwork...

I should try to rent the blue ray version and check it out...
  • edited April 2012
    By the contrast, though, The Blu-Ray of Beauty and the Beast makes the computer generated stuff in the ballroom stick out like a 14 year old kid with a boner during co-ed volleyball in Phys. Ed. class.

Bt
  • edited April 2012
    ...or a cheerleader that loses her bikini?
  • edited April 2012
    Do you guys think that Telltales should make their King's Quest game in the graphical style of KQ5 and 6? I do, but what do all of you think?

I'm not really expecting Telltale to do the game in 2D, but yeah, hand-painted backgrounds in a style similar to KQ5/6 would be my first choice if given one. Hand-painted 2D and point-and-click adventures just seem to go together naturally, kinda like boners and lost bikinis. :D
  • edited April 2012
    thom-22 wrote: »
    I'm not really expecting Telltale to do the game in 2D, but yeah, hand-painted backgrounds in a style similar to KQ5/6 would be my first choice if given one. Hand-painted 2D and point-and-click adventures just seem to go together naturally, kinda like boners and lost bikinis. :D

Quoted for truth.

Bt
  • edited April 2012
    Technically speaking, VII was the first to have true hand painted backgrounds, as in scans of actual paintings. All the artwork before that was made digitally and not actually hand painted. That aside, it would be great to see hand painted backgrounds, for some reason this brings Legend of Mana to mind. Of course, if they could implement this look in 3D, like in Skyward Sword, that might be a happy medium for fans and newcomers.
  • edited April 2012
    That's not true at all. KQ5 and KQ6 were indeed painted and scanned.
  • edited April 2012
    I would sell my mother for a paint style.
    I think they could do well after the experience of TWD graphics.
    Or, if not, at least I hope they provide a new engine...
    You know, Tessellation, Hi-res textures, foliage and grass, specular and shiny surfaces, etc.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.