For macs?

edited July 2007 in Sam & Max
Hey.. I bought all the sam and max games quite a while ago but recently my laptop stopped working which was Windows XP.. But I went out and bought a mac just because of all the good things I heard about it. My question is, will I ever be able to play all my sam and max games on this mac? I think all the games so far are only compatible with Windows... Please let me know. Thank you.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    These games are windows only, for the moment. You can also read those :
    http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987
    http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2693
    http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1942
    http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835

And there is a lot more ;) what we know now is that you can play the game via bootcamp (I do), actually neither Parallels, nor crossover (but maybe VMWare) let you play this game. What we also know is that they really would this game to be on Mac. We can cross fingers, mine are. They did it for Bone, so... it is possible ! There is an engine who let ports being less harder, so maybe...
  • edited May 2007
    Had to ask... is 'for macs' supposed to be a pun? :p
  • edited May 2007
    Darkdusk87 wrote: »
    Hey.. I bought all the sam and max games quite a while ago but recently my laptop stopped working which was Windows XP.. But I went out and bought a mac just because of all the good things I heard about it. My question is, will I ever be able to play all my sam and max games on this mac? I think all the games so far are only compatible with Windows... Please let me know. Thank you.

Same problem here, I bought season one and played episode one it on my pc. But somewhere between ep1 and ep2 my graphics card got carbonized and instead of just going and buying a new one (I could not afford one because I spend all my fortune on Sam & Max), I remembered someone handed me over an mac mini some time ago and I gave it a try.

Now I wish I didn't have to deal with pc's ever again in my lifetime. But sadly I do and after many moons without playing my allready paid S'n'M I took the pc from the office home (I work now at home) and finally downloaded the entire season and started playing today. (Could have as well wait for the season box to be released before buying, if only I knew before...).
  • edited May 2007
    I also wanted to put my name down as one of the people who recently switched from PC to mac. And most likely, I won't have access to a PC next season. :( So, please please please make a version for the mac! :)
  • edited May 2007
    just wanted to add that I install the new beta VMware Fusion and did have the game start but the 3Dvideo is "VMware Fusion also includes a cutting-edge 3D technology that enables you to play select DirectX 8.1 games on your Mac" but the directx 9.c is not working to well.
    I had the game open with really bad graphic and the game lock after a few min's of playing.
    if you want to try it you can find the beta here.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    The game should work properly with DirectX 8.1, actually.

I don't know how pretty it will look, but I imagine any big instabilities you encounter when emulating are due to VMWare, not the game itself.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd love it if one of these OS X virtualization programs actually started running the games well. I'd still like to see a proper Mac port at some point, but an inbetween solution would also be very welcome.
  • edited May 2007
    Going to try again and see if i can get it to run with a small window.
    yes I'm sure it was the vmware and not your game. didn't mean to make it look like i meant that
    edited May 2007
    Oh, I know :) No worries.
  • edited May 2007
    Just a little breaking news, Parallels has just announced Parallels 3.0 which will support openGL and DirectX (but I don't know which version, parallel's website is actually down ^^).
    It will be out in a few weeks.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/upgrade
  • edited May 2007
    PC to MAC, MAC to PC... I sense a great tremor in the force... Much lawsuit awaits in the darkness, yes, yesssss! Mmmhmmhmmmhmmm! ;)
  • edited May 2007
    Here is an interesting link of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates appearing for a 90 minute interview at D5 yesterday: http://d5.allthingsd.com/20070530/steve-jobs-and-bill-gates-together-part-1-of-7/
    These guys seem to be getting along way too well. ;)
  • edited May 2007
    Why am I suddenly reminded of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror special where Kang and Kodos impersonate Bill Clinton and Bob Dole in preparation for the then-upcoming election?
  • edited May 2007
    So far I have not had it run the game. I can get it to start, and it runs the credits and when it gets to the game it crashes.
  • edited June 2007
    Maybe this next season they could use some thing besides DirectX.
    OpenGL would be nice and would work with the windows emulators.
  • edited June 2007
    getting better :)
    th_11915_s5max_122_558lo.jpg
    Still needs work.
  • edited June 2007
    I got it to work on the new Parallels 3.0. Seems to work pretty good besides for a weird lighting effect and other minor details so far.
    th_19957_Picture_1_122_1041lo.jpg
  • edited June 2007
    I don't want to use paralells... I want it native, wasn't bone out for mac? to use parallels I have to buy windows to right? I mean, $200 bucks plus the game to play sam&max is a little steep
  • edited June 2007
    sameyeam wrote: »
    I got it to work on the new Parallels 3.0. Seems to work pretty good besides for a weird lighting effect and other minor details so far.
    th_19957_Picture_1_122_1041lo.jpg

That looks pretty good. :) The walls seem flat or something, aren't the walls normal mapped or something? Maybe this Parallel is having problems with that. :/
  • edited June 2007
    Now I wish I didn't have to deal with pc's ever again in my lifetime.

No matter how much you love the mac interface, there is something that you forget; something that Microsoft has always had heavy involvement with.

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS developers deVELopers! DeVELopers! DEVELopers! *clap clap*

I see no DirectX, I see no .NET. Thus, I see very few developers.
  • edited June 2007
    Native Universal Binaries is what I need. You need to buy windows _and_ parallels to get it working right? I mean, that's $300 to play a game.
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    See http://developer.apple.com
    edited June 2007
    Mac developers seem to churn out quality apps pretty quick with XCode and all of the OS X CoreWhatever libraries... And Apple seems to like their developers well enough. They don't have Steve Ballmer running around like a crazy man, for sure, but Phil Schiller once jumped off of a 1 sory high tower of iMacs to prove that his laptop was connected to the network wirelessly, back before wifi was really a known technology, and apple was demoing Airport in the first iBook. So, there's there's that at least.
  • edited June 2007
    I know if next season if no way to play on the Mac I won't be buying the next season.
  • edited July 2007
    so true.. it is changing a bit though - Apple is not so ignorant to the game anymore
  • edited July 2007
    With all this talk of mac, I can't but think of a guy I know who had a macbook till recently. He was running Linux on his machine. Never saw him use Wine, but I'm wondering if that could pull off Sam & Max since Wine sounds like it's getting quite good.

Last time I ran it I could hardly get an IRC application running. Now there's lots of games like Far Cry and other 3D heavy games running quite well if not better than windows with Wine. I'm guessing it's really matured with age.
  • edited July 2007
    Wine runs Sam and Max just fine, I'm halfway through episode 6 and havent had any issues so far. I'm not sure if there's a mac version of it tho.
  • edited July 2007
    I have to give Microsoft credit for one thing. No matter how many blunders they may have made with their newer products (like office 2007 not being backwards-compatible), their Visual Studio is freakin' amazing!
  • edited July 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    I have to give Microsoft credit for one thing. No matter how many blunders they may have made with their newer products (like office 2007 not being backwards-compatible), their Visual Studio is freakin' amazing!
    Xcode is free.
  • edited July 2007
    Visual Studio beats Xcode *crush*, even more if you're into graphics. The nice thing about Xcode is that it already ships with each Mac.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.