Sam & Max under linux/wine..

edited May 2012 in Sam & Max
A while ago i bought the sam and max series and decided a few days to try episode 102 under wine, but it seems to be crashing when i enter the serial. The sad thing is that i am 99% sure that pirated version will work just fine and i really don't want to resort to this.

Is there any solution for activating it under wine??
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just to clarify.. The activation window pops up, but as soon as i try to write or paste the serial number it just crashes.
Gave demo a try.. Works just fine, so definitely just the activation process.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    boxman wrote: »
    A while ago i bought the sam and max series and decided a few days to try episode 102 under wine, but it seems to be crashing when i enter the serial. The sad thing is that i am 99% sure that pirated version will work just fine and i really don't want to resort to this.

Is there any solution for activating it under wine??
    Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just to clarify.. The activation window pops up, but as soon as i try to write or paste the serial number it just crashes.
    Gave demo a try.. Works just fine, so definitely just the activation process.

Strangely enough, I have a Mac and had identical issues with Wine. Crossover, however, works wonders and the Season 1 games play beautifully. It's 30$, but it provides a lengthy trial period with full functionality to see if you like the software.
  • edited May 2012
    Strangely enough, I have a Mac and had identical issues with Wine. Crossover, however, works wonders and the Season 1 games play beautifully. It's 30$, but it provides a lengthy trial period with full functionality to see if you like the software.
    I guess i will try it out or try playing with different wine versions then.
    Thanks for the response. :)
  • edited May 2012
    You may also want to have a look at this thread or this one.

I think you could "morally" use the "unofficial" version if you have a paid-up license, as after all, Telltale gets paid. The thing is, though, you never can tell what those things are "really" doing to your computer, so it's better to get the official copy running if you can.
  • edited May 2012
    I just had a idea.. Could it be a missing font pack? I looked through those linux threads, but cannot find any mention of that. The reason i suspect this is because of how it crashes when trying to type in the serial. Maybe the activation uses some font that is not present on my system.
    I guess no one has any idea which ones i could try installing?

Edit: Got the activation window part working using playonlinux using different wine version.
    But now it wont accept my activation details. I entered my username and the serial for episode 2 and then get this error: Sorry there was a problem. We weren't able to log you in and so on...
    :(

Seems like I only got one choice left then. Really sucks I have to use a cracked version just to get it to work thanks to DRM crap. This is why I think DRM hurts paying customers.
    Let's hope telltale is more nice about it than bethseda who banned me for having to resort to pirate skyrim when my paid for xbox 360 version stopped working due to game breaking bugs.

I really wish companies would realize this as well. They are cracked on release date, so how does DRM stop people from downloading? It does the exact opposite for paying customers like me.
    I also recall when i brought my windows laptop on vacation with my paid for tales of monkey island. I didnt at that time expect that i had to activate it, so i had to go through big trouble finding a wifi point just to be able to play the damn game.

Edit: After playing around some more I think i might have gotten it working.
    First mistake was that i was trying to type in serial when it was actually wanting my login information.
    I tried to use my login details, but same issue. But I noticed there was a tab that said "activate manually using serial key" which also would not work because it kept saying "unlocking" even when it failed so was impossible to even click on the tabs. After trying again and again it finally switched over and manual activation worked even though it crashed after activation. But at least it looks like it has been unlocked and was able to launch the game. :)
  • edited May 2012
    I'm about to attempt to reinstall the game on WINE myself. I seem to recall having your problem first time but it WAS fixable.

Perhaps this was the solution?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUzEJakMX4g
  • edited May 2012
    Try leaving the Cork in the WINE bottle next time you go into the time machine ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.