King's Quest VII Love Thread

This is a thread for fans of KQ7, imo one of the more underrated games in the series.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I really like it... It may not be the best kings quest games but it's deffinitly a great adventure game.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't hate it... It's just not my 'favorite' game in the series. It is my least favorite... There are plenty of other games in the series that I prefer more than it.

I don't hate any of the KQ games, and actually love them all.
  • edited May 2012
    I hate it! Evil!! Aaaarrrgggg!!!!
  • edited May 2012
    Personally it's up there for me as one of the better games.
  • edited May 2012
    Eh, I just don't care for it, or about it. I don't hate it. I don't like it either.

Bt
  • edited May 2012
    You really have to wonder what look ttg will go with for their game.. Cartoon or more realistic either one would technically be faithful to the franchise.
  • edited May 2012
    Count me in as a fan of KQ VII -- I liked the cel animation style, and the dialogue was so much better than in the earlier games. It had a sense of humor, and best of all Queen Valanice was allowed to show a little human emotion and attitude -- refreshing after Graham's unfailing politeness in KQ V and Alexander's oblivious woodenness in KQ VI. The style of KQ VII feels influenced by Lucasarts -- fatalities aren't game-ending, and the interface feels similar -- which may be what some people didn't like about it.
  • edited May 2012
    This is a thread for...

LOL. Nice try, but have you not been paying attention to how things typically go around here? Three pages from now we could be talking about Roberta's puzzle design theories or Police Quest 2 or the literary/philosophical/Biblical origins of the fisherman in Tamir. :p
    ...fans of KQ7, imo one of the more underrated games in the series.

IMO, there isn't one game in the King's Quest series that can legitimately be called underrated or overrated. Just because you encounter a few people at this or any other forum who happen to dislike one of the games doesn't mean it's underrated. :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2012
    IMO, there isn't one game in the King's Quest series that can legitimately be called underrated or overrated. Just because you encounter a few people at this or any other forum who happen to dislike one of the games doesn't mean it's underrated.

Actually, KQ7 was largely panned by the critics and most magazines that rate games... It is said to have received the lowest scores of any game in the series. It received mixed, mostly low to average scores.

So I suppose its "underated" or just "poor scores"/"weak game" (what have you) depending on one's opinion...

Actually Roberta didn't care what the critics thought of the game, she mentioned in an interview that she was happy (and it was more important to her) it had sold successfully.

In comparison, KQ5 had the distinction of being the the best selling Adventure games for something 3-4 years after its release running. That was even after KQ6 was released. It was critically acclaimed receiving mostly 4 out of 5/90% ratings from critics...

...and KQ6 is noted for pretty much getting perfect 100% scores all around from all critics (lots of 5 out of 5s). So its probably the 'highest rated' KQ game. Anakin would argue its 'overrated', :p...

Even KQ8 received mostly good review scores... though it was panned by a few critics... But it fared better critically than KQ7...
  • edited May 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Actually, KQ7 was largely panned by the critics and most magazines that rate games...

So I suppose its "underated" or just "poor scores"/"weak game" (what have you) depending on one's opinion...

There need to be valid reasons or historical reassessment or mass popular acclamation to make a game with poor or mediocre reviews underrated. Not just some people who disagree with the critics. The worst game in the world has its fans and the best games have their detractors; doesn't make them under/overrated.
  • edited May 2012
    thom-22 wrote: »
    There need to be valid reasons or historical reassessment or mass popular acclamation to make a game with poor or mediocre reviews underrated. Not just some people who disagree with the critics. The worst game in the world has its fans and the best games have their detractors; doesn't make them under/overrated.

Personal taste is valid. All a review is is the reviewers' personal taste/opinion. Art is subjective, one person's masterpiece is another's pile of dung. Perception is everything. In the KQ/Sierra community, I feel, based upon what I've seen, KQ7 is underrated as a game and as an entry in the series.

Even the best games/movies/music has it's detractors as you said.
  • edited May 2012
    Count me in as a fan of KQ VII -- I liked the cel animation style, and the dialogue was so much better than in the earlier games. It had a sense of humor, and best of all Queen Valanice was allowed to show a little human emotion and attitude -- refreshing after Graham's unfailing politeness in KQ V and Alexander's oblivious woodenness in KQ VI. The style of KQ VII feels influenced by Lucasarts -- fatalities aren't game-ending, and the interface feels similar -- which may be what some people didn't like about it.

+1 I agree completely with this.
  • edited May 2012
    The backgrounds were nice. The animation .... just did not do it for me. I did not care for the story either. The interface was.... boring.

Bt
  • edited May 2012
    I would go so far as to say that King's Quest VII may very well be the worst adventure game ever made.

Sorry--pre-Telltale, I mean.
  • edited May 2012
    Lambonius wrote: »
    I would go so far as to say that King's Quest VII may very well be the worst adventure game ever made.

Sorry--pre-Telltale, I mean.

Oh come on. None of the tons of 90s Myst clones or the countless generic adventure games post 1999 are the worst? KQ7 isn't THAT bad. It still had the KQ feel, still was light and fairy tale based, the interface was simplified but you were still in a huge, expansive world full of interesting characters. It was still a 100% adventure game. And it had tons of funny moments and was IMO similar in tone to KQ5 (despite the art style). I was never bothered by the art or this or that because we're dealing with 20 year old games here. Compared to Castle Wolfenstein, KQ6 looks like primitive, for example. I wouldn't expect Disney level animation from Sierra in 1994, especially when it was their first game to try out that art/animation style.
  • edited May 2012
    90s Myst clones?

Journeyman Project series was better than KQ7... More compelling storylines, interesting characters, atmospheric, etc...

I liked Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor more than KQ7...

Being a 'myst clone' was not necessarily a bad thing. I never could get into Myst, but some of the clones were actually quite compelling...

BTW, I like KQ7 more than Myst... But like it less than the few Myst Clones mentioned above I played...

I do probably like KQ7 a bit better than Sierra's attempts as 'Myst cloning'...
  • edited May 2012
    Personal taste is valid. All a review is is the reviewers' personal taste/opinion. Art is subjective, one person's masterpiece is another's pile of dung. Perception is everything.

Of course. But none of that is useful in telling the difference between something that merely attracts opposing minority opinion and something that is underrated.
    In the KQ/Sierra community, I feel, based upon what I've seen, KQ7 is underrated as a game and as an entry in the series.

Well then, I think KQ7 is overrated in this thread. :p

(But definitely much better than the worst Myst-clone I ever played.)
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, I was clearly just trolling, too. :)

KQ7 still sucks balls though.
  • edited May 2012
    Personal taste is valid. All a review is is the reviewers' personal taste/opinion. Art is subjective, one person's masterpiece is another's pile of dung. Perception is everything. In the KQ/Sierra community, I feel, based upon what I've seen, KQ7 is underrated as a game and as an entry in the series.

Even the best games/movies/music has it's detractors as you said.

In spite of what numerous school teachers have told you, it is entirely possible for personal opinion to be incorrect.

That said, KQ VII isn't *that* bad, just not really up to the standards of the previous games.
  • edited May 2012
    In spite of what numerous school teachers have told you, it is entirely possible for personal opinion to be incorrect.

The idea that all 'personal opinion is equally right' reminds me of 1984!

2 + 2 = 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kmG7KXxShM

How many lights are there?

Madred%2C_four_lights.jpg
  • edited May 2012
    In the words of my once 3-year-old sister, "dun like it."
  • edited May 2012
    Your three year old sister didn't like KQ7? Wow, and I thought that was the age group it was targeted at!
  • edited May 2012
    No, she didn't say that about KQ7, she just used to say that about stuff she didn't like. I'm just quoting her in regards to my opinion on KQ7.
  • edited May 2012
    KQ7 wasn't my favorite KQ, but I enjoyed playing it (even with the little kiddieness). We finally got to be Valanice and I liked the story. I wished you were allowed to use text cause sometimes it's hard to understand some characters.

I'd rather play any of the KQ games compared to Myst. I don't even consider that an Adventure game, it's more like a puzzle game.
  • edited May 2012
    I liked KQ7.

I had issues with specific gameplay aspects [namely, inability to increase walking speed and inability to save on the fly (I had the earlier version of it)] and I encountered the wooden-nickel-in-the-faux-shop bug on my first playthrough, but overall I really did like the game.

Granted, KQ7 didn't meet the standard KQ6 set (which is still one of favorite adventure games ever), but I hated KQ5's voice acting (and, to a lesser extent, the pie-on-yeti and cheese-machine puzzles) so much that KQ7 was and is considered by me to be head-and-shoulders better than KQ5.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.