If an upcoming Kickstarter project was a 25th Anniversary remake of Sam and Max...

edited May 2012 in Sam & Max
...because you know there are people out there who want those games remade, myself included (guilty as charged!)

What would you want in there? Would you want there to be a new voice option (like with the voices from Hit the Road, or the voices from the cartoon series)? A new language option? Would you like the games to be completely redone with 2D graphics as opposed to 3D? Do you want more puzzles, harder puzzles, more items, more dialogue, more whatever?

And how much would you be willing to back if such a project was on Kickstarter?

Feel free to speculate here!

(Yeah, I know there's already a Kickstarter thread on here, but just porting season 1 to iOS is not enough. Besides, I think they're probably doing it already even without Kickstarter.)

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I'd like to see a Special Edition of Hit the Road. If it looked rly good id probably back some depending on what you get for how much:p. If it was done like MI would be nice with updated graphics but if you don't like it you can swich back.
  • edited May 2012
    Don't quote me 100% for sure on this, but I'm pretty certain the reason why there hasn't been a Hit the Road HD yet isn't because of money, it's because of conflicts with LucasArts. LucasArts doesn't own Sam & Max anymore but they do still own Hit the Road.
    The reason why the Monkey Island Special Editions exist is because the Monkey Island franchise is still partially owned by LucasArts, unlike Sam & Max, which is now completely the property of Steve Purcell and Telltale. The MI Special Editions were done as collaborative efforts between the two companies. That's why the Special Editions and even Tales of Monkey Island still have LucasArts logos on 'em.

There's reasons things don't get made other than just funding. Besides, I've recently become not very fond of Kickstarter as a company/service anyway.
  • edited May 2012
    Art Direction:
    If it was 2D:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfXWg7_AGI
    If it was 3D:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrirHGQUOU (Watch in HD)

That will be all...
  • edited May 2012
    I wager they'd have to make the funds just to bribe LucasArts into giving them a license!
  • edited May 2012
    FrankT wrote: »
    I wager they'd have to make the funds just to bribe LucasArts into giving them a license!

If LucasArts doesn't WANT to sell them the license though, it's a mute point. Granted, I don't completely understand why LucasArts wouldn't want to, especially since the game is out of print (they no longer produce it in any form, not even through digital distribution) and Telltale has owned Sam & Max for a good 7 years or so now. It doesn't seem like they're gaining anything by keeping it, other than not allowing Telltale the opportunity to profit off it.
    Maybe it's spite? I don't want to assume that though. But I'm sure both Telltale and LucasArts know a special edition/remake of Hit the Road would make plenty of money. It's just someone's not cooperating on the licensing end, for whatever reason.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't see that remaking "Hit the Road" has much added value. The "Monkey Island" special editions updated the graphics but more importantly supplied voices... but "Hit the Road" already has the voices.

Can't we just have Season 4 instead?!
  • edited May 2012
    I don't see that remaking "Hit the Road" has much added value. The "Monkey Island" special editions updated the graphics but more importantly supplied voices... but "Hit the Road" already has the voices.

Can't we just have Season 4 instead?!

This too.
    Hit the Road has voice acting (rather nice voice work for the time too), and graphics actually still manage to hold up, at least in my opinion. Good pixel art never goes out of style.
    And even if you can't buy it, it's old enough to be considered abandonware and downloaded for free to play on ScummVM.
    The first two Monkey Island games were A LOT older with much more dated graphics, no voice work, etc. With the Special Editions it's almost like playing a completely different game (at least cosmetically) from how much they were upgraded.
    While the idea of updating Hit the Road sounds neat, if you really think about it, it's probably not really all that necessary.
    I would rather Telltale's time and money go towards Season 4 also, to be perfectly honest.
  • edited May 2012
    Season 4! Seasooon FOUUUUR
  • edited May 2012
    Perhaps I should've been more specific! :3 I hate that thread titles have a character limit!

Maybe the Kickstarter could be a remake of Telltale's current series too, not just Hit the Road.

Would season 1 be remade with season 3's engine? Would characters from season 3 make cameos in season 1? Would the episodes have more puzzles, and more challenging ones at that? The possibilities for a remake are endless!
  • edited May 2012
    lattsam wrote: »
    Perhaps I should've been more specific! :3 I hate that thread titles have a character limit!

Maybe the Kickstarter could be a remake of Telltale's current series too, not just Hit the Road.

Would season 1 be remade with season 3's engine? Would characters from season 3 make cameos in season 1? Would the episodes have more puzzles, and more challenging ones at that? The possibilities for a remake are endless!

... Except that's even more pointless??
    Season 1 is only FIVE YEARS OLD. What on earth is the point of remaking a game that's only been around a few years and is still widely available?
    What's the point of retroactively putting in purposeless cameos of characters that just show up later anyway? The puzzles are fine and they fit the story, if Telltale thought they needed to be more challenging they would've been tweaked before the episodes were originally released.
    And the engine upgrade for Season 3 wasn't even that intensive; just an improved capability for better graphics and new gameplay mechanics.

No offense, but that makes about as much sense as remaking a movie that just came out last year. Not making a sequel to, actually remaking the exact same movie again, by the same exact people.
    How about we just show support NEW games and NEW content, like SEASON 4, alright? Seriously, I'm sick of the same game(s) over and over again. I want actual new adventures with the Freelance Police.
  • edited May 2012
    If they were going to remake an existing project, the Freelance Police one or the one that had the DeSotoLorean would be awesome. It would be new and old at the same time.
  • edited May 2012
    I would rather Telltale's time and money go towards Season 3 OST also, to be perfectly honest.

Fixed for you
  • edited May 2012
    No! No! We shouldn't have to reboot the whole thing! Give us a few comic specials! A movie! ANYTHING!
  • edited May 2012
    xbskid wrote: »
    Fixed for you

If I had to choose one I'd still choose Season 4 over the Season 3 OST. It sucks we don't have an OST for Season 3, and I do really want one, but if it sadly never comes to fruition and we want the music we can at least just extract it from the game itself.
  • edited May 2012
    not to be a downer here but there aren't that many sam and max fans and even if there were not many people today still support the point and click adventure game market.
  • edited May 2012
    alik44 wrote: »
    not to be a downer here but there aren't that many sam and max fans and even if there were not many people today still support the point and click adventure game market.

If you think that I do not understand in the slightest why you are here.
  • edited May 2012
    alik44 wrote: »

So you didn't notice that Double Fine kickstarter then?
  • edited May 2012
    coolsome wrote: »
    So you didn't notice that Double Fine kickstarter then?

Yeah, I wouldn't call 2 million dollars in around 48 hours "no one caring" about adventure games anymore.
  • edited May 2012
    Uh...Kickstarter's about funding your own projects, not copyright infringement. Unless you're Telltale/LucasArts/Steve Purcell, you shouldn't do a Sam and Max-related Kickstarter. Or else you'd look like this.
  • edited May 2012
    I would have funded the full backing!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012
    If an upcoming Kickstarter project was a 25th Anniversary remake of Sam and Max...

...I wouldn't support it.

Three possibilities: Either LucasArts wants to make it - they have all the money in the world, so go, LucasArts, without a single one of my cents, these guys will probably never do a better game anyway. Or Telltale wants to make it - they shouldn't waste their time and do Season 4 instead. Or someone else wants to make it - with no experience besides maybe a blind and exaggerated love for the original.

I'm in the process of replaying Season 1, and I have to say, sometimes even that feels a bit dated. Telltale of all companies should not go back to an even older concept. They've done great with the narrative of Season 3, and I expect them to weed out the hiccups this great game still had (some unresolved story threads, some massive canon contradictions [Stinky!!]). They must not go back to the simplicity of "Hit the Road". It would be a lot of steps back.
  • edited May 2012
    (some unresolved story threads, some massive canon contradictions [Stinky!!])

Actually, Chuck Jordan was kind enough to explain the whole Stinky subplot in a blog post on his website since even he acknowledged it wasn't explained well and was really confusing.
    http://www.spectrecollie.com/archives/2010/09/back-story

I get depressed every time I remember Chuck Jordan doesn't work for Telltale anymore and won't be having any part in Season 4. It's such a shame, the man is a genius.
  • edited May 2012
    I'd rather just get a new game.
  • edited May 2012
    I'd back a remake of Hit The Road in a heartbeat.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.