High Res KQ6

Is there any way to "import" the high res portraits into the currently available from GOG lo res version of KQ6?

Do you think the High Res version (with the better menu, portraits, etc) of KQ6 could ever be made compatible with modern computers?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    The one from GOG has the high resolution version. You just need ScummVM to play it.
  • edited May 2012
    anakin didn't you make a similar topic to this asking the question a few months back? I destinctly remember saying to use scumm vm.

btw it will also be able to play the apple 2 versions too. Minus the apple screen colors.
  • edited May 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    anakin didn't you make a similar topic to this asking the question a few months back? I destinctly remember saying to use scumm vm.

btw it will also be able to play the apple 2 versions too. Minus the apple screen colors.

How can I use ScummVM with the GOG version? I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit.
    How do I install it, etc? Like a step by step guide? Could I use my original KQ6 CD for this?
    Also, will my Windows Version of KQ5 (on CD, bought in the 90s) work with ScummVm?
  • edited May 2012
    there is nothing different between gog and other editions. you will have to use dosbox or scumvm.

scummvm is incredibly easy to use. just play around with it, tell it to load a game from whatever folder it was installed to, and then load the game from the scummvm menu...

unless you are windows impaired or can't read (which you obviously can) there is nothing to installing anymore different than any other windows program... click on the downloadable exe and follow the directions on screen...
  • edited May 2012
    How can I use ScummVM with the GOG version? I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit.
    How do I install it, etc? Like a step by step guide? Could I use my original KQ6 CD for this?
    Also, will my Windows Version of KQ5 (on CD, bought in the 90s) work with ScummVm?

1). Install ScummVM.
    2). Copy the needed files off your CD to your HD (RESOURCE.*, the videos, and the ACTORS and SEQ directories for the windows version). You can also rip the CD audio if you know how and want to listen to the awful ending credits song.
    In the case of the GoG version, pointing it to wherever you installed the game should suffice.
    3). Add the game in ScummVM (point it to wherever you put the files on your HD) and play.

It's really that easy. The high-res portraits are in the Windows version, ScummVM also enables the colored cursors in all versions by default.
  • edited May 2012
    How can I use ScummVM with the GOG version?
    The same way you'd use ScummVM with any compatible game on any platform whatsoever.

Install ScummVM; click "Add Game"; point to the appropriate game files' folder; select the desired version of said game when it appears; then either start said game from the ScummVM list, or else create a shortcut pointing to the scummvm.exe and the gameid of said game.

Easy. Simple. A three-headed monkey could do it.
  • edited May 2012
    frusty.gif
  • edited May 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    The same way you'd use ScummVM with any compatible game on any platform whatsoever.

Install ScummVM; click "Add Game"; point to the appropriate game files' folder; select the desired version of said game when it appears; then either start said game from the ScummVM list, or else create a shortcut pointing to the scummvm.exe and the gameid of said game.

Easy. Simple. A three-headed monkey could do it.

Yeah sorry, it's all working now.
    One last thing: I put it in full screen using Alt + Enter, but even in full screen, the game screen doesn't fill the entire screen. Any way to change this? That's the last thing I'll ask on this topic. Thanks guys.
  • edited May 2012
    That's a monitor issue. You'd have to change settings on your monitor to allow smaller resolutions to full the screen. Either that or change the Graphics mode in the ScummVM options to a higher resolution filter (2x, 3x, OpenGL Conserve then stretch/maximize, whatever). The problem is that regular game resolutions are way too small for today's computers.
  • edited May 2012
    change the Graphics mode in the ScummVM options to a higher resolution filter (2x, 3x, OpenGL Conserve then stretch/maximize, whatever).
    In other words, this:

hY3OP.png
  • edited May 2012
    Alternatively you could press ALT+CTRL+# (where # is one of the number keys 1 - 9) to switch between the different scalers in game. Also ALT+CTRL+KeyPadPlus and ALT+CTRL+KeyPadMinus switch between the different sizes of the current scaler (for example 2x, 3x, etc.).
  • edited May 2012
    The daily builds have the OpenGL filters which would probably be better, though.
  • edited June 2012
    I tried out the ScummVM version (i.e., the Windows version). I decided to play the DOS version instead. The game just seemed really inconsistent with low-res scene and character artwork, high-res portraits and high-res inventory items. I prefer the whole game being low-res to that mish-mash. Plus I thought the high-res character portraits looked kind of strange.
  • edited June 2012
    mgiuca wrote: »
    I tried out the ScummVM version (i.e., the Windows version). I decided to play the DOS version instead. The game just seemed really inconsistent with low-res scene and character artwork, high-res portraits and high-res inventory items. I prefer the whole game being low-res to that mish-mash. Plus I thought the high-res character portraits looked kind of strange.
    I like Alexander's, Cassima's and Jollo's low-res portraits much better.
  • edited June 2012
    mgiuca wrote: »

Well, even creepier was the Arch-Druid, whose jaguar eyes blink at the same time as the guy who is wearing it in the high-res version! :eek:
  • edited June 2012
    Just wanted to point out this thread is redundant and should be merged with Anakin's other thread of the same topic...

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27817

As per GuruGuru's thread policy;
    First off, please make sure a similar thread doesn't already exist. This forum isn't that large yet, so this shouldn't be too difficult, and we do have a search function. We mods have to track down and merge duplicate threads, so not only does not posting duplicate threads keep the forums less cluttered and running more smoothly, it makes it much easier for us to keep track of things

I think the newer thread could easily be merged into this one, or vice versa.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.