"Retrieving Key" fails when launching registered game

edited September 2005 in Game Support
I've paid for and downloaded the game, and installed it, but now when I launch it I get a "Retrieving Key" message for a minute before an error box pops up to tell me that my Internet connection isn't working. There's nothing wrong with my connection so presumably whatever server is meant to give me the key is down at the moment?

I look forward to being able to play the game!

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Ah, in fact I just launched it again right after posting that and it managed to retrieve my key! Hurrah!
  • edited September 2005
    I'm having the same problem. Tried 4 or 5 times last night. Tried again this morning, no change.

I'm on dialup, no firewall, and get this error box.

bone10.jpg

The customer service link of the BONE splash page has no info / faq / 'contact for help' link.

I tried lowering all my security settings in IE, but the same problem reoccured. I've tried to retreive key via the checkout area, and via the 'customer service' pupup box. And I've disabled my virus checker (Norton AV). No difference.

Any ideas?
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    If you cannot retireve a key when launching the game, please send an email to support@telltalegames.com and we should be able to set you up manually.

This will take a little longer than the key being retrieved automatically though.

Thanks!
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks Heather. Email sent.
  • edited September 2005
    I am having the same sort of problem. I tried to order the game after the demo, on the Reminder Page. However it kept telling me "your basket is empty". So I gave up on that and ordered it directly from the web site. All went well with the download, but it did ask me to uninstall the previous version before continuing, which I did. After replaying the opening sequence, the game asks me for a "Registration Name" (I'm assuming that's just my name) and a "Key". I had received a confirmation e mail with my order number, but no mention of a KEY. My game never tried to automatically retrieve a Key. It expected me to have the info. I've e mailed everybody; Troy, support and Digital River. Would love to play the game. I've been following it for some time. Hope help arrives soon.

~Kim~
  • edited September 2005
    Kim, I finally sorted out the same problem. I just noticed a red "CUSTOMER SERVICE" link at the top of the splash screen of the game. There you can enter your orderid and pwd. I was confused about that too.
  • edited September 2005
    On the splash page that pops up before you start playing the game, there's a red CUSTOMER SERVICE link in the top left corner.

If you click that, a box pops up where you can enter your order number and password, and select to 'reissue key'.

Have you tried getting the key / game authentictaed via that method (this is the point it breaks down for me, giving the error box posted above).

Edit: Oh. snap! ;)
  • edited September 2005
    I'm wondering if any of these advanced settings on the right need adding to?

firewall.jpg

I just tried ticking every single one of the existing ones (though the unticked msmsgs didn't stay ticked) and redialling in and still no change.
  • edited September 2005
    Guess it wasn't that either then. Atleast we tried. You should revert the changes to what they were by the way, you don't want some schemy evil-doers reading that you just opened ports on your computer for them to have fun with.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    JP, have you sent an email to support@telltalegames.com?

Maybe I just don't recognize yoru real name. ;)
  • edited September 2005
    Hi all,

JP, I'm having the same problem. I've followed all the suggestions, but no luck. Now I get the big error box, after putting in my order number and the "retrieving key" box comes up.

Downloading games for purchase is a great idea. The ultimate in instant gratification. Sure hope they get it worked out soon.

~Kim~
  • edited September 2005
    Yeah, I have. But that IP # in the screenshot isn't my actual IP. It changes on every dialup reconnect too, so I'm hoping it's afe to have posted that. :p
  • edited September 2005
    JP, have you sent an email to support@telltalegames.com?

Maybe I just don't recognize yoru real name. ;)

My address starts with "jp@" so it shouldn't be too hard to find. :p

Anyway, I just resent it to your personal email address. Also tried to PM it to you but got a board error.
  • edited September 2005
    I too have suffered from the same problems as JP, and have just sent off an email to the support department. Hope it gets dealt with soon, because I'm itching to try the game!

[Interestingly, I also suffer from another problem previously mentioned on the forum - the game always installing to C:\Program Files\Out From Boneville\ and only creating an empty folder where I *actually* want it installed (i.e., D:\Out From Boneville\).
    It also fails to install a shortcut on the start menu apart from the uninstall one, though this is easily rectified by moving across the one placed upon my desktop.

Seems I'm just having bad luck with Bone!
  • edited September 2005
    All,

Greetings. I'm a QA/Support Engineer from Digital River and have recieved clearance from Troy to answer/support questions regarding the new Bone release. I've read the issues all of you have had and we're actively working on resolutions for the following issues:

1) Internet Connection Error - Solution in Progress. EOD Friday [with issue 3]

2) Missing Download Buttons - Implementation by EOD Friday [hopefully]

3) Dial up users having issues - We're resolving this hand in hand with issue #1.

4) Empty shopping cart page issues - Known issue. We'll alter the flow to fix again by EOD Friday.

5) Dead download manager - This is out of our purview. Akamai provides us support for distributing downloads. We've begun talking to them about their caching methods and that we're unhappy with it. The solution I can provide here is to just kill that Download Manager instance and restart it. You'll hit a different box and download should begin.

6) Poor download speeds - Again, an Akamai issue, you can only get the file as fast as their boxes push to you.

This is what I have so far. If there's anything else, please respond and give it visibility.

If you have resolved your key issue using the automated CS box, that's good news otherwise here's the alternative.

The license we send down is a 60 char. AlphaNumeric string. For security purposes we dont put that in an email. However, if any users are facing issues here, send me an email with your Order # and the hardware fingerprint and I can work with CS to send a key back to you.

To get your hardware fingerprint - open your trial and look for this text under the Buy Full Version button

"If you have completed a purchase and need to enter your key, click here."

A box will pop up and the Hardware Fingerprint will be right there.

So in summary - send me an email with the following-

Full Name
    Hardware Fingerprint
    Order #.

Finally, I'd like to apologize for this mess since I ran point on this before the release from a DR perspective. Please understand that DR and TTG appreciate your business and loyalty to the title and that we're going to get everything resolved in a short period of time. I am actively working with my team to get all your issues resolved and I'm sure Troy and the rest of the TTG Support group will be here to answer further questions.

Thanks.
    Paresh
  • edited September 2005
    Yay, the code I was sent seems to work: thanks Paresh!
  • edited September 2005
    Having the very same problem. Sent a message to support@telltalegames.com and Heather got back to me asking for my Hardware Fingerprint. Sent that back, so I hope I'll be playing it shortly.

I wonder what's going on?
  • edited September 2005
    1.0 version wasn't the best - I already had 35MB when the new version came out (dialup), so I continued that one..I should have DL'd the new one cause I just finished the demo and bought, and now can't play...

downloading for a few hours... sigh.
  • edited September 2005
    The installer messed up AGAIN. I don't know what's wrong this time.

Downloading the new 50MB version.

Got to 35MB.

Sent a single email with 100KB of attachments (2) with Outlook 2003. I guess this used all my bandwidth and sent a timeout to the Bone downloader program.

See an NCIS or something error saything the download is corrupt, or virus, or anything could have gone wrong. Click okay, try the downloader program again, says 100% (SAME OLD ERROR!!) and then brings up the same error message.

Click okay, tried to run the 35MB downloaded program manually before seeing it is 35MB, get the same error message.

I deleted the 35MB program and tried the downloader again. It automatically overwrote the Boneville.exe file in temp/DRDld - starting again at 0%.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The joys. I will now reconnect for my next 4 hour limited session of dialup and spend the entire time not doing ANYTHING but downloading the boneville.exe installer through the downloader program. I sent Fileplanet a notification to update their link, but they only are contactable for tech support and they sent me a weird reply asking for my error message etc.

Please work these things out and fix with a patch, I can't keep downloading this whole file!!
  • edited September 2005
    Ben - Navigate to the Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\DRDld and remove the installer from there. Then redownload the file and use the key I sent. It'll work. I understand that you are on dial up and that's a hassle. However, the download speed is something that's throttled by the ISP and the download server when they talk. I'll be checking email again throughout the day to ensure your issue is resolved.

Thanks.

Paresh

Downloading the new 50MB version.

Got to 35MB.

Sent a single email with 100KB of attachments (2) with Outlook 2003. I guess this used all my bandwidth and sent a timeout to the Bone downloader program.

See an NCIS or something error saything the download is corrupt, or virus, or anything could have gone wrong. Click okay, try the downloader program again, says 100% (SAME OLD ERROR!!) and then brings up the same error message.

Click okay, tried to run the 35MB downloaded program manually before seeing it is 35MB, get the same error message.

I deleted the 35MB program and tried the downloader again. It automatically overwrote the Boneville.exe file in temp/DRDld - starting again at 0%.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The joys. I will now reconnect for my next 4 hour limited session of dialup and spend the entire time not doing ANYTHING but downloading the boneville.exe installer through the downloader program. I sent Fileplanet a notification to update their link, but they only are contactable for tech support and they sent me a weird reply asking for my error message etc.

Please work these things out and fix with a patch, I can't keep downloading this whole file!!

I just tried again. Same error at 35-40MB. I just got an email from service@digitalriver.com saying:

"In order to fully license Bone: Out from Boneville, please open the application and click on the `Enter Key Manually' option.
    Please copy the below information exactly as you see it here and then click the `OK' button."

I don't have this in the old version.

I used to be able to get a screen saying 'enter key' after clicking 'finish' on the invoice, then it would try to get the key through the net, fail, then give me the dialog box. Not so anymore after uninstalling for the new version as Troy said - now I reinstalled the old version and it doesn't bring up the box.

ARGH this is very painful.

______

Patience is a virtue but mine is wearing thin.

After all my forum posts and emails to various people, I get one single response from Paresh, stating basically he didn’t read my email.

I KEEP REMOVING THE FILES IN THE DRDld folder.

I keep trying to REDOWNLOAD THE 50MB version.

IT KEEPS STOPPING AT UNDER 40MB.

IT GIVES ME an ERROR about NCIS, the downloader says 100 %.

It’s been 10 hours since I emailed you, I hope you check this – I have to sleep sometime. I spent ALL last night with these problems.

AS STATED MANY MANY TIMES – THIS IS BELOW IN THIS EMAIL:

____

“I just tried again. Same error at 35-40MB. I just got an email from service@digitalriver.com saying:

"In order to fully license Bone: Out from Boneville, please open the application and click on the `Enter Key Manually' option.
    Please copy the below information exactly as you see it here and then click the `OK' button."

I don't have this in the old version.

I used to be able to get a screen saying 'enter key' after clicking 'finish' on the invoice, then it would try to get the key through the net, fail, then give me the dialog box. Not so anymore after uninstalling for the new version as Troy said - now I reinstalled the old version and it doesn't bring up the box.

ARGH this is very painful.”

If you read above this you will see this is my THIRD attempt to download the NEW File. I spent four goes doing the 70MB file yesterday.

So basically, I’ve spent maybe…20-24 hours of internet connection DOWNLOADING THESE UNWORKABLE FILES???

I have paid for the game. MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO PLAY.

________

WHAT WORKED LAST TIME WITH THE 70MB version: some nice person sent the actual BonevilleInstaller.exe file through www.yousendit.com last time. If you were understanding of the issues I am having something like this could perhaps be offered – or a new version placed on Fileplanet or another mirror.

It would be most appreciated, if I REALLY have to download another 50MB on top of the half gigabyte or so I have attempted with Bone…perhaps you could ASSURE my download will work by circumventing the STUPID STUPID downloader program so that it WILL ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD.

I am getting more angry all the time. I say over and over, I CAN’T DOWNLOAD THIS. You keep telling me to download it again.

Make it easier for me to download, bring out a patch, or just plain help me.

It is not feasible to constantly re-download a file THAT NEVER COMPLETES.

Please get back to me ASAP. My partner Leah is doing a post-graduate university presentation on how computer and video games can promote reading.. Bone is a major part of this speech so it would be great if we could try the game we BOUGHT before her presentation on Tuesday. I figured, since we paid on Friday that this wouldn’t be unreasonable!!!

If these teething problems occur for each new release, I will be waiting at least up to a week before getting anything else through Telltale.

HELP. ASAP.

Sincerely

Ben
  • edited September 2005
    Hello all. I'd just like to mention my problem: When I click 'FINISH', nothing happens.... the Window says it wants to close and that's it! I don't get any messages regarding key retrieval or anything and Bone isn't unlocked.

I've done thing many many times. Turned off my firewall, turned off my virus protection, turned off my spyware protection. Restarted, logged out, logged back in again. That's all I can think of.

Thanks for any tips!

- Johnny
  • edited September 2005
    Hi there,

Sounds like you may have the earlier, ~78MB version of the download. Check out my post in this thread to resolve the problem.

And of course, please let me know how it goes..

Cheers,

Troy
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks, Troy! Unfortunately I don't think I do have the older version! It was ~55MB I think, also it says "Bone 1.1". I've followed those instructions in your message, but when I use the new download manager the Boneville.exe file downloads -immediately- (far too quick to be actually downloading) so it seems that it's using a version I previously downloaded.

How can I delete this to make sure I really do have the latest version of Boneville.exe?

Thanks!

- Johnny
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks, Troy! Unfortunately I don't think I do have the older version! It was ~55MB I think, also it says "Bone 1.1". I've followed those instructions in your message, but when I use the new download manager the Boneville.exe file downloads -immediately- (far too quick to be actually downloading) so it seems that it's using a version I previously downloaded.

How can I delete this to make sure I really do have the latest version of Boneville.exe?

Thanks!

- Johnny

Hey, I have this same problem but with the old version. You definitely have the new one, as the old one was called 'BonevilleInstaller.exe'.
  • edited September 2005
    Rats! :( Thanks for the info, Ben.

I manged to clean out all my TEMP folders and redownload the file using the new manager anyway. But nothing has changed :( Hmm! Very odd! :(

Any more help would be appreciated, Troy!

Thanks,
    - Johnny
  • edited September 2005
    A key indicator as to what version you have would be the text in the upper left corner of the reminder screen. If you have "Customer Service", you still have the old version installed. If you have "Manual Key Entry", then you have the new version and the activation issues that we assumed to be fixed have not been completely squashed. Please let me know.

Here are a few options:

If you have the "customer service" option at top, click on it, enter your order number and password, and try to activate the game by clicking on FINISH again. Sounds like you might already be doing this. You can also accomplish this in the newer version by clicking on "ACTIVATE PREVIOUS PURCHASE - CLICK HERE"

If you have the "manual key entry" option in the top left..

- click on it.
    - In the resulting screen, copy and send the "hardware fingerprint" to me, as well as your order number.
    - Enter the name and key I send back to you in the same dialog box.

This same procedure also applies to the text below the "Buy Full Version" button in the older version.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Troy
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks Troy, it does say 'Manual Key Entry' in the top left hand corner. I've already sent my Hardware Fingerprint and Order Number to support@telltalegames.com.

Sorry that it seems like I'm the one who's telling you the bugs aren't fixed! :( I wish it was working!

Hopefully you can find my message and send me my Key.

Thanks a lot,
    - Johnny
  • edited September 2005
    Johnny - did you receive your key via email? Did everything work out ok?
This discussion has been closed.