Sam and Max Available on Steam

bnfbnf
edited July 2007 in Sam & Max
Hey,

just found out that you are selling Sam&Max Season 1 via Steam now.
Any way for me to unlock my purchased Season 1 in my Steam account?
I know it's not normally possibly to unlock most retail bought games in Steam, but I would really appreciate it if Telltale made it possible somehow.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Nope, they're completely different systems. Sorry. :(

EDIT: Also they're still in the process of pushing the games onto Steam, which is why we haven't announced this yet. If anyone's wondering. ;)
  • bnfbnf
    edited June 2007
    I figured as much.
    Guess I was hoping for you to provide existing customers with an unlock key for Steam.
    Sigh. Back to waiting for the DVD and Season 2 then.
  • edited June 2007
    Bah! Now I have to buy the game a third time! *coughretailcough*
    edited June 2007
  • edited June 2007
    *gasp*
    Isn't it wonderful when you think the lawyers and the suits have gotten everything tied up and locked down and then *boom* something completely wonderful and unexpected happens?
  • edited June 2007
    Yepp, it's very cool :D Way to go TTG
  • edited June 2007
    Ah, the two most community-centered gaming companies in the world united.

Quick! Gather your fanbases and go destroy something! LITERALLY!
  • edited June 2007
    Woho! Even more sales! :)
  • edited June 2007
    Telltale's agreement might prohibit it, but I'd be curious to hear how the game(s) sell on Steam as compared to GameTap and the direct-download.
    edited June 2007
    Telltale's agreement might prohibit it, but I'd be curious to hear how the game(s) sell on Steam as compared to GameTap and the direct-download.

We're curious about that too. :D But it's probably not something we'd be able to talk about publicly.
  • edited June 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Nope, they're completely different systems. Sorry. :(

Ah, can't you do something ? It would be great to have S&M activated on Steam. It's nice to have all my games under one account!

It's annoying to search for my telltale email with the activation number every time I reinstall my OS. Not to mention if I would like to play the game in ... say 5 years from now.

Steam is great, please make it so we can add S&M into our accounts!
  • edited June 2007
    It's safe to say that they've exceeded their original sales predictions by now. I'm sure they'll double it before sales start to drop. Which is good, because that means more and better Sam & Max. :)
  • edited June 2007
    Well season 1 is going to continue to sell..still got the retail release to come as well
  • edited June 2007
    Precisely. :D And I hear all 30 employees are working on Sam & Max now (Season 2, logically.), so they must've made enough money by now to warrant a complete focus of all their production capacity on it. :) I'm sure a retail release will give them a very large increase in sales, probably a lot more then they think.

Although, personally, I don't buy games retail anymore. Gas costs too much and it's a real pain to drive down to the store to buy them, especially when you can get them cheaper online. :)
  • edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Precisely. :D And I hear all 30 employees are working on Sam & Max now (Season 2, logically.),

where did you hear this?
    edited June 2007
    Nope, we don't have 30 employees working on Season 2. The team is about the same size it was for Season 1 (don't ask how big that is, because it'll require me to count!)
  • edited June 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Nope, we don't have 30 employees working on Season 2. The team is about the same size it was for Season 1 (don't ask how big that is, because it'll require me to count!)

Hehe! Tricked ya! Now we know that there IS a team working on Season 2.
  • edited June 2007
    Oh, I thought Ryan said everyone was working on it. :/
  • edited June 2007
    Please make a way so we can add our S&M episodes into Steam.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, couldn't you give Steam-combatible CD-keys or something to people who've already bought Season 1? Maybe with the DVD-package?
  • edited June 2007
    I can see from a financial view how thats not a good idea. I'm not privy to how steam runs it's deals for distribution. But I do know that bandwidth costs money. And steam wants its cut.

You get the "download anywhere any time" convenience with TellTale anyway.
  • edited June 2007
    Doesn't the Steam version cost more than the Telltale version anyway? I doubt Valve would really want people getting the game from elsewhere for less, and then using their service to play it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Oh, I thought Ryan said everyone was working on it. :/

ahem
  • edited June 2007
    Well, it's hard to detect sarcasm on the internet without at least emotes. : / I was thinking, maybe Valve set the price at $40 because they were a little bitter about TellTale doing so much better at episodic format then they themselves are? Either that or they knew it would sell well, har har har! :p Not that $40 is outrageous or anything, but I'm assuming Valve probably tagged $5 on for themselves, and I'd rather that go to TellTale instead. :p
  • edited June 2007
    Raising the price to spite TellTale doesn't make a lot of sense; surely that just means more people will give their money directly to TellTale instead? Probably just about the money (like basically any business decision).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    For what it's worth, the agreement with Steam was extremely friendly/cooperative/awesome. They are great guys who really understand digital distribution and we're all extremely happy to be working together to put Sam & Max on their service. For instance, they did everything for the Sam & Max minisite on the Steam Store based on some episode icons and logo art we sent over and it's great looking and feels very Sam & Max. Also we worked out the pricing for Sam & Max on Steam together. One very nice thing about having control over your game and all associated assets (we do) and having a great relationship with the license holder (again, we do, as it's Steve Purcell) is that you very rarely have to end up in a deal you don't want to be in. All of our Sam & Max relationships (GameTap, The Adventure Company/JoWood, and now Steam) are relationships that we willingly entered into and are relationships that people on both sides of the table are very happy with. If that wasn't the case, if the relationships were founded on some sort of animosity, spite, jealousy or whatever, we wouldn't be in them! That would be an extremely awkward and ridiculous position to set up for a professional working business relationship.
  • edited June 2007
    I don't want to be rude but...

If the guys at Steam are so cooperative, can't you make some sort of steam key for the people who have Season 1. I don't want to be disrespectful, but what if telltale vanishes in say 3-5 years, or in one year I totally forget about the company and just have the pleasure to remember the game? Or I lose my mailbox... It's not like I have a hard copy of it, put the CD, read the cd-key on the box (no internet activation) and play the game in 5 years from now. Steam is much more solid in terms of long-lasting, than telltale.

And for what is worth... I want all my games under one account:)

Sorry for my bad English.
  • edited June 2007
    Erm... you could get the DVD version when it's available also. If you paid for the season from us, you're eligible to get it free, plus the cost of shipping.
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    If you paid for the season from us, you're eligible to get it free, plus the cost of shipping.

Meaning you'll only have to pay shipping :D
  • edited June 2007
    I said this before, but how about allowing people to activate their Sam & Max games after paying the extra $5 Valve charges. I would not mind that.
  • edited June 2007
    I said this before, but how about allowing people to activate their Sam & Max games after paying the extra $5 Valve charges. I would not mind that.

I second that, if it is the only option
  • edited June 2007
    Is it going to be possible to get the DVD for shipping only if the games were purchased via Steam? Or is it only if bought via the site -- in which case, I wish I'd have realized that before buying the games on Steam! :)
  • edited June 2007
    The bonus DVD is only available to people who bought the downloadable episodes through us, sorry :(
  • edited July 2007
    Is there a plan by now to create a way to run a copy of “Sam & Max”, which was bought at telltale, on Steam?!
    PLEASE make that possible...
    ... is there any reason why you should not do this?!:confused:
  • edited July 2007
    Errr, do you work at Telltale, Henry? : /
    edited July 2007
    Not going to happen. Sorry.
  • edited July 2007
    Errr, do you work at Telltale, Henry? : /

We all work at Telltale, in the spiritual sense ;)
  • edited July 2007
    Yes, I'm glad Season One is up on Steam. This is fantastic!
    But I'm probably going to continue buying Telltale games on Telltale's site, because I think Telltale's site rocks!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.