Fairy Tales and Mythology in a new KQ

The KQ universe usually has mainly dealt with elements of the Greco-Roman mythos. The Celts (in the form of the Druids) and Paganism were touched upon in KQ6, and there were many early Christian elements in KQ8.

What other mythologies do you think KQ could stand up with? Could you see, for example, a character of Norse mythology or some aspect of that mythology, as a character in a KQ game, the way Lady Ceres and the Fates appeared in KQ7? How about a character from Arabic mythology, or Eastern or Native American mythology?

Also...What other fairy tales, folk tales, legends, and modern tales would you like to see KQ pull from? For example, the Fisherman in KQ4 is pulled from a tale called The Fisherman and His Wife; The whole subplot of Beauty in KQ6 is pulled from the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, and so on. What are some other little elements from other stories you feel could comfortably fit in KQ, that you WANT to see?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I have to correct you on the Druids... Much of the druid culture seen in the game is purely 1700's romanticm era fable. Basically what is known as Neo-Druidism... The Samhain idea is more taken from claims made by critics of Neo-Druidism, generally Christian organizations referring back to one of the 1700 era myths. See Conrad Celtis, and William Stukely for example.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_sa.htm

Keep in mind there was a Samhain in Celtic myth but he is nothing like the version seen in KQ6, nor like the version in the 1700 era writings (urban legend if you will). That Samhain wasn't even a god. Samhain also refers to a festival, in that situation it doesn't refer to a being.
    YES. He did exist. Many Neopagan and secular sources are probably wrong. As As Isaac Bonewits writes: "Major dictionaries of Celtic Languages don't mention any 'Samhain' deity..." 8 However, there is some evidence that there really was an obscure, little known character named Samain or Sawan who played the role of a very minor hero in Celtic mythology. His main claim to fame was that Balor of the Evil Eye stole his magical cow. His existence is little known, even among Celtic historians. He was a hero, not a god. It is likely that he was named after the end of summer celebration rather than vice-versa.

NO. Many conservative Christian and secular sources are definitely wrong; there is/was no Celtic God of the Dead. The Great God Samhain appears to have been invented in the 18th century, as a God of the Dead before the ancient Celtic people and their religion were studied by historians and archaeologists.

Most of 1700's Neo-Paganism stuff has been debunked by archaeologists and historians.

Actually very little is known about the real Druids beliefs...

Caeser mentioned them, but didn't go into detail about their culture. Maybe a few references to 'human sacrifices' in text at the time. So at least that part might be historical. Of course many historians and archaelogists also question the reliabitility of the Roman's claims as well. It may have very well been propaganda of the time, in order to undermine the Druids power. There is very little if any evidence of human sacrifice in any of the neolithic era. There is evidence of very elaborate death ceremonies though, were the stone henge and other megalithic structures were used for funerary purposes.
  • edited June 2012
    I would very much like to see some drawing on Native American mythology -- we've seen very little of those stories in movies or games. For example, I think the trickster Coyote would be a great character to use in an adventure game, especially because so many of the KQ characters historically are clearly good or evil at face value. Having a character who might be more subtly manipulative or deceptive could be a lot of fun, playing off of the adventure game hero's traditional gullibility, and making good use of Telltale's established strengths. How do you handle a character who is perhaps helpful but untrustworthy? At least such a character could have more moral shading than, say, Cedric.

From a "classic" (i.e. Grimm/European fairy tales) standpoint, I'd like to see Father Death, Rose Red and/or the Steadfast Tin Soldier show up. All of these characters have interesting backstories and they have not been overexposed in recent times.
  • edited June 2012
    The Desert in KQ7 touched very loosely on Meso-American mythology or at least romanticized versiono of it...
  • edited June 2012
    How about a character from Arabic mythology
    Well there were a bunch of genies in the series (KQV, KQVI), and a magic carpet in KQII. Those draw from Arabic mythology. (And I really hope I'm not mistaking Arabic mythology for Disney mythology, but I did a bit of research before posting this ;))
  • edited June 2012
    Sheherazade is referenced in KQ6.... Sinbad is referenced in KQ5 by the use of the Roc.These are Middle-Eastern/western Asiatic legends as well. 'Arabic Mythology' is probably not the best term for these types of stories, as they are not all from 'Arabs', but other cultures of the Middle East as well.

Alladin and his genie, btw, is also 'Chinese' in the original story, ;). So it may not actually be 'arabic'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin
    No Arabic source has been traced for the tale, which was incorporated into the book One Thousand and One Nights by its French translator, Antoine Galland, who heard it from an Arab Syrian storyteller from Aleppo.

Scheherazade is is Persian not Arabic. Although, the story itself may not even be Persian story, and many of the stories within Thousand and One Nights/Arabian Nights have sources going back to Middle Eastern and South Asian sources. Though it was compiled originally in 'Arabic'.

Flying carpets go back to Persian legends, although they were incorporated into the Quran.

Djinn may be Arabic, but have been utilized in non-Arabic sources and fairy tales. Examples of 'romanticizing the other'.

Keep in mind stories that may have 'Islamic' sources are not necessarily from 'Arabs'. Muslims does not = Arab. So Middle Eastern is a better term to use.

Another example is the Nightingales found in KQ2 and KQ6 (especially the mechanical Nightingale) originate out of a romanticized anglo/French/European faery tales (collected by Hans Christian Anderson or others), which include a rather romanticized and exaggerated view of Chinese culture.

For example, The Nightingale by Hans Christian Anderson;

http://childhoodreading.com/?p=16
  • edited June 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    The Desert in KQ7 touched very loosely on Meso-American mythology or at least romanticized versiono of it...

Very good point. I think I had mentally filed that section under Termite Terrace Mythology myself. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.