Cedric

I'm probably one of the only people who never disliked Cedric. I honestly feel he actually added some good comic relief to the game and was just a fun sidekick, and I think the whole idea of giving Graham a sidekick in KQ5 was a really awesome idea...I know people tend to hate him but I truly think it's more based on his voice than anything else. To be honest, there are other characters I find more cheesy or annoying...For example, Jollo or Shamir Shamazzel. I just think Cedric's reputation needs some rehabilitation.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I would love to see a rehabilitated Cedric in a new KQ game. I've always maintained it was only the voice that I disliked (and I got used to it and didn't let it bother me as I played, same with other voices in KQ5). A talking owl named Cedric just seems to fit with the whole ambiance of KQ IMO. I do think, though, he should have some purpose in the gameplay if he is to be a companion.
  • edited June 2012
    I like Cedric... Bring him on!

Just as long as he doesn't become KQ's version of Murrey or Stan...
  • edited June 2012
    It's easy to make fun of Cedric,but if he wasn't in the beginning of kq5, Graham would still be stuck in Daventry with no clue what the heck happened to his family. Cedric's pretty annoying on your quest but he's an okay guide in the beginning and you need him at the end.

"Woo there's nothing but a hot dry desert to the west! Most people avoid because they say there are bandits out there! If you insist on going, I'll wait for you here!" - Cedric the Brave
  • edited June 2012
    Actually, he saves your life at the end too... If you leave him behind on the Harpy Island, you die when Mordack casts his spell towards you.
  • edited June 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Actually, he saves your life at the end too... If you leave him behind on the Harpy Island, you die when Mordack casts his spell towards you.

That's what I meant when I said you need him at the end. I played it once without saving Cedric and of course I got zapped. It's strange going to the hermit's house without needing him to help Cedric.
  • edited June 2012
    cedric.jpg
  • edited June 2012
    I think Cedric is simply a character people enjoy making fun of, because his role is largely functional and he tends to exaggerate some dangers and completely fail to warn the player about others. Sidekick characters have certain limitations in adventure games and Cedric exhibits most of the downside -- they always seem to be getting in trouble and they rarely really contribute to solving problems, because after all that's the player's job.

But he's actually one of the only non-player characters we really get to know in the whole King's Quest series, so that counts for something. I'd like to see him put in a cameo appearance in the Telltale game.

(I never liked his voice in the CD version of King's Quest V, but that's partially because I had a different voice in my head from playing the non-talkie version first. I still think the high-pitched voice constrained what the character could do acting-wise, but that doesn't mean it's an invalid choice.)
  • edited June 2012
    Ya his voice in the cd version can get excessive... :p
  • edited June 2012
    I really should play the diskette version of KQ5. I may actually like it better if I did.
  • edited June 2012
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I really should play the diskette version of KQ5. I may actually like it better if I did.

I had to play it to understand everything Graham and Crispin say in the intro. I really wish the CD version had the option of text.
  • edited June 2012
    One other thing I like about the disk version too, is the closeups of Beetrice, Antony, and The Rat, they are larger, and more animated. Like the rat has hands, and she twiddles her fingers. Beetrice moves her arms and her sceptor about, and you see her wings too. Antony, you see him moving his arms about, and he also lifts up the needle to give it to you!

I always thought it would be neat if someone culd make a patch that could recincorporate this stuff back into the game, and make some kind of toggle to switch between speech, text, or both.

RatKQ5floppy.pngBeetriceKQ5floppy.pngKingantony.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.