After, King's Quest, what about Police Quest?

edited January 2013 in Kings Quest Game
Actually, a series that might better fit the serialized structure of Telltale game's development might be Police Quest! So after giving us the pseud-mideviel period in KQ, maybe they could give us a new adventure of the blue knights of Lytton?

One thing that would make it work well, was that PQ series was split into 'days', and you really only had access to a few areas each day! Clues would lead you to new areas, and there was the occasional car chase, and arrest in the early games.

Thus Telltale could easily split the game up into seperate days. They could have the overworld map of Lytton (or other cities) be the way you get around to the areas that are required. But you would have to learn about the areas you need to get to during your investigation or from radio dispatches!

The central main area, like in the early Police Quests would be the Police Station! That would appear in every chapter!

Plus the game would allow for Telltale to to tell a gritty story, but with some humor here and there; Death messages, stuff like the newspaper articles about King Graham and Daventry seein the first and second game (which they could make references to Telltale's KQ series), the software collections installed on the Police computer systems, and other stuff akin to the "Grimlin", (a humorous series of gags that occured in PQ1), and mixed into random conversations in the game with other people in the force or answering machine messages received dialing in random telephone numbers (or numbers written in the records)!

Another good series that could be split up into separate games/chapters, but reuse a limited space is the Laura Bow series.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Pretty good idea actually. There could be one larger case which ties the episoder together and then there could be these smaller crimes as side dish.

But the game would need a certain degree of real policing procedures to be followed though, as that's so deeply in the core of the series.
  • edited June 2012
    I agree! I wonder if they could get Jim Walls again.

The question would be to stick to 1980's procedural work, or update it into the present time... Older Detective Sonny Bonds, or maybe even Sonny, Jr.
  • edited June 2012
    It actually could be interesting to see Sonny Bonds JR, as Sonny himself was such a by the book kind of a guy, that he'd leave a legacy hard to follow for a kid following daddys footsteps.
  • edited June 2012
    I would support a new police quest game... I do admit though its probably my least favorite of the old sierra series of games.
  • edited June 2012
    My least favorite is the LSL games really... and maybe Police Quest 4 (the first three are great though)...
  • edited June 2012
    I would be interested in a new Police Quest. But NOT with Jim Walls! What a sadist that guy was. Making us actually drive around and patrol because that's what real cops do. HELLO? Real cops do boring crap like paperwork too, but doing boring crap is the opposite of what makes a great game. He wasn't trying to make a great game, though; he was trying to make a police simulator, a training exercise. PQ1-3 were good, but maybe TellTale could make it better. After King's Quest, of course.
  • edited June 2012
    The idea of Police Quest was to portray how much procedure was involved. It wasn't an over-fantasized movie-like Police game. It was the real deal. In that respect, it naturally evolved into what eventually became the tactical simulators that are SWAT.
  • edited June 2012
    I actually thought the patrolling, issuing tickets, and car chase aspects of Police Quest were fun. They added a certain bit of arcade action to the games, especially the original Police Quest's version fo car chases...

That's a feature I definitely want to see return in Police Quest...

Actually, in Police Quest you are required to do paper work in places... and do it correctly. If you don't it will come back to haunt you later on!
  • edited June 2012
    Oh yeah, I'd like to see something like that!
  • edited June 2012
    I never got into PQ4 cause it seemed so detached from the rest of the series. (Plus Jim Walls had nothing to do with it) But I'd love to see another one.
  • edited June 2012
    Ya, I totally agree... It lacked much of the humor of the earlier games in the series... Was way too dark, and was procedurally simplified in some ways... It felt more like a bad hollywood thriller than the earlier games...

That being said, some of the later SWAT stuff was great, and even brought back Sonny Bonds!
  • edited June 2012
    I would love a Police Quest series! The way they put together "Law & Order" looked very police quest-esque, but i opted not to jump into that game yetdue to it sounding kinda easy. I'll be playing it soon tho.

I've played all the Police Quest games, and between Monkey Island and Police Quest they solidified my love of the "point n' click" adventure. I'd buy it in a second and would have great faith that TTG would come up with a great storyline. The idea of a Sonny Jr. living up to pops legacy would be an excellent start!
  • edited June 2012
    The driving and chase sequences in old PQ games suffered a lot from technical limitations of the era, especially in PQ1 remake and PQ3. The way driving was done in them made the scenes very sadistic.

With todays tech those bits could be made actually enjoyable instead of frustrating.
  • edited June 2012
    I never could get into the police quests...but I would love a new space quest ;)
  • edited June 2012
    ...I would love a new space quest ;)

Don't touch it, Telltale. That's morally and rightfully reserved, unofficially by fans, for the Two Guys themselves, now that they're back on the scene.
  • edited June 2012
    Aren't they planning something other than a Space Quest game...something inspired by it but without Roger Wilco? I don't know if it was because they couldn't work out any deals with Vivendi or what but idk, I just kinda missed ole' Rog. :P
  • edited June 2012
    Yes, they are. And honestly, I'm glad. I'm looking forward to seeing something new from them. But they have shared their desire and aspirations for getting back to Space Quest one day. That's why I said "morally, rightfully," and "unofficially".
  • edited June 2012
    It will definately be interesting to see what they come up with :D
  • edited June 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    That being said, some of the later SWAT stuff was great, and even brought back Sonny Bonds!

Really!? THE Sonny Bonds!?
  • edited June 2012
    Ya, he in SWAT 2, it says he was sent by his superiors in Lytton to LA to learn SWAT training, so he could learn how things were done in the big city.

In SWAT 3, you have a chance to save the life of Marie Bonds, and she mentions that her husband is currently working in the Harbor Division. Marie actually appears in at least two missions. But that's the one where there is any more direct interaction with her, or where she is mentioned in the briefing. She is more or less generic "named" civilian that appears in some of the others.

In SWAT4 he became the unit commander in Fairview, New York, actually he gives you most of the missions in that game.
  • edited June 2012
    Wasn't he one of the officers you could choose for your team in SWAT 1?
  • edited June 2012
    Nah, he was a chooseable character in SWAT2 as far as I know. Made the best element leader, best stats all around.

Sonnybond.jpg

SWAT 1, is the FMV one, so its characters are limited. You always play as the "SWAT Pup".

http://policequest.wikia.com/wiki/Police_Quest:_SWAT
  • edited June 2012
    Oh right. You don't have teams in SWAT 1, you are yourself in a "team".
  • edited June 2012
    I'm not sure there's a lot to be gained from using the specific "Police Quest" IP. I suppose if King's Quest does phenomenally well and other Sierra series are relaunched this way, it would be a viable candidate. But I don't think it has the nostalgia appeal that Sierra's other franchises have, and someone could create a good, solid police adventure without using that slightly awkward name. (Are the Police really Questing, or just doing their jobs?)

On the other hand, I'd rather see Police Quest 5 than Blue Force II. And Telltale definitely prefers to work with established IPs instead of marketing from scratch, so who knows?
  • edited June 2012
    It would technically be Police Quest 7, btw! SWAT 1 and SWAT 2 had the PQ5 (Police Quest 5) and PQ6 (Police Quet 6) names in the files and when you quite the game, and on some of the 'about screens'. PQ4 was also treated the same way, with abreviations in the files, as you quite the game, not the title screen.

But anyways, I would think going back to the basics for the next Police Quest, would work, since as a "quest" game they can advertise it off the succes of the KQ series. Much as the series originally was done back in the day.

PQ still has a following. That's why its seen releases several times over the years.

Speaking of PQ I've been playing L.A. Noire and it kinda reminds me of PQ in some ways. But its more of an open world sandbox style game with cases in between. It's set in the 40-50's. It might be viable to make PQ in a similar format.
  • edited June 2012
    I need to get back to L.A. Noire -- I bought it last December when it was on sale for $24.99 on Steam, and could have waited for it until this week at $4.99. Ah, well -- I was curious to see the facial-capture technology. (I found it kind of weird, because now the facial and vocal performances are wonderfully in synch, but the heads now seem like they're stuck onto awkward, stiffly-animated puppets.)

I agree that the L.A. Noire template, with a more structured adventure, could work as a Police Quest #N. (And thanks for the info, I have the two SWAT games somewhere around here but have never played them!)
  • edited June 2012
    I got the 7.49 Complete version , with all the DLC off steam. (75% off sale)
  • edited June 2012
    I've been meanin to get LA Noire myself as well. It actually could be pretty interesting to get a PQ game with a sandbox feel to it, but still with a real plotline.

The game could develope from being a patrol cop to detective with non plot related missions being related to your current status.
  • edited June 2012
    You know I'd like to see alot of side missions. Don't relate to the main story, but just add to the world! Randomized car chases, and arrests. No two games alike. Things to do between missions of the main storyline. Maybe get some bonus (pay) to use to buy things in between missions. Maybe some his everyday life outside the job. Want to buy a new car, while you get around in your civilian garb? Use the cash you make through the game.
  • edited July 2012
    Nah, he was a chooseable character in SWAT2 as far as I know. Made the best element leader, best stats all around.

Sonnybond.jpg

Ah, I was going to say! I have his profile on screen right now. (Too bad there's no-one there named Max. I could've set up the Freelance SWAT element!)

SWAT 1 is fairly decent, certainly. If a little lacking. They say no two call-ups are the same; they are in this one!
  • edited July 2012
    Well actually in SWAT 1 there are 2-3 different random situations for each scenario. The person involved, what they are doing, where they are located in the building. For example in one situation you are sent in to his house with a little old lady. Under one situation she is mad ad a bat and threatening to shoot at neihbors. In another situation she is being held hostage by a relative, iirc. There is a neutral event where both are having a domestic spat with each other. Depending on the situation the way you enter the house changes. As well as what items you need to use, and commands needed.
  • edited July 2012
    In another situation she is being held hostage by a relative, iirc.

Is that right? I don't think I've seen that one.
  • edited July 2012
    Ok, I found my strategy guide, there are two main plots for Lucy Long, as well as several ways enter and reach mission objectives.

Plot 1 is taken mainly from Rear Containment.

A: Lucy Long isn't in mirror at the side of house.

B. Lucy Long is in mirror at side of house with gun.

C. Lucy Long is in mirror at side of house with no gun.

Plot 2 is done mainly from Rear Guard, Entry team.

Looks like Lucy Long is mainly found inside the bathroom behind the shower curtain.

You need to convince her to surrender, or you can shoot her with the shot gun (for negative reaction).
  • edited September 2012
    I finally got myself LA Noire and I have to say it's a fantastic game. I'd love to see a PQ game done in the similar style, they did, after all, try to create those "random" police cases in PQ games before the main plot hit in the full gear.

The way the main cases are structured in LA Noire is very nice IMO. You can either choose to do the additional missions or not and the game gives you enough freedom in order to seem like free world despite it's pretty tightly scripted. Something like that could work for PQ as well.
  • edited January 2013
    I still need to get around to finishing LA Noire. Been really busy with work, and other games. I'm stuck back on the 2nd or third case.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.