Innocence

Did you ever feel that the world of KQ was just inherently innocent and beautiful somehow--Not dissimilar from say a classic Disney movie?

I just often wonder what it was exactly that drew me at 5 to KQ5...Or what made my niece like it at the same age...Is there just some inherent innocence or magic in it, the same sort of magic that the best Disney movies have? I apologize, I'm feeling sentimental.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I definitely think that's part of the style of King's Quest -- it's a fantasy world, and while there may be villains and scary moments, we'd be shocked and dismayed to see Alexander dealing with drug addiction or Valanice having an affair. The world of KQ is not so different from Roberta's Mixed-Up Mother Goose game, which was explicitly aimed at children and pre-readers.

I expect to see a lot of contrasts between Telltale's upcoming "Fables" and "King's Quest" projects -- both are set in a fairy-tale milieu, but with radically different approaches.
  • edited June 2012
    I definitely think that's part of the style of King's Quest -- it's a fantasy world, and while there may be villains and scary moments, we'd be shocked and dismayed to see Alexander dealing with drug addiction or Valanice having an affair. The world of KQ is not so different from Roberta's Mixed-Up Mother Goose game, which was explicitly aimed at children and pre-readers.

I expect to see a lot of contrasts between Telltale's upcoming "Fables" and "King's Quest" projects -- both are set in a fairy-tale milieu, but with radically different approaches.

I'm sorry but the thought of a strung out Alex, nodding out in a Castle hallway, almost comatose, muttering "Cassima...Cassima." makes me LOL. Could have it where the goal of the game is to find Alexander's "fix"--some sort of magical herb or something--which, when he takes it, shall restore both him and the Land of the Green Isles--a Fisher King type story.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't think I'd want to visit a Daventry where the "magic mirror" is the one with cocaine residue on it. :) Or the narrator has to inform us, "Alexander's dime is not really enough to purchase the 'dime bag' offered by the skinny young peddler." Or Cedric says, "Look out, Graham! The brown acid is cut with stryyyyyyychnine!"

As much as King's Quest can sometimes verge on self-parody, its intentionally family-friendly universe is part of its nature. Classical fairy tales are often metaphors for darker themes, but spelling those themes out in detail wouldn't feel right somehow.
  • edited June 2012
    It's innocent, but I'd say primarily in the sense of everything being very black and white, in most cases. You're either good or you're bad, without too much thought or attention given to the why of it. It's simply how it is. Even when the stories were a bit more developed and complex, that was still true of the bare bones structure. (I can't speak for MoE, but from what I understand, it holds true there, too, for the most part.)
  • edited June 2012
    I agree -- there's not much shading in King's Quest morality, and it's all relative to what the hero wants. Graham shows no compunction about extorting leprechauns or shoving old ladies into ovens, but he apologizes for disrupting an ants' nest. :)
  • edited June 2012
    Yes, even "KQ8" is in a very black and white world. Where there is good people and there are evil people. There is nothing in between. If its evil, you pretty much have to kill it or banish it...

The same goes for nearly every other game... Maybe KQ4 questions the norm somewhat, by showing that even a monster can have a good heart. Edgar...

KQ7 asks the question that can someone be given a second chance to grow up as a better person... Malicia...

Then there is Samhain in KQ6 who is for all intents and purposes evil, but you can make him have mercy and remember his life, sins and all. In an almost Hellraiser sort of way...

Then there are grey characters ancillary but very limited use... The rude Frog Prince in KQ4.... Not evil per se, but also not a nice person at heart.

KQ1 and KQ2 offer some 'grey' moral choices, where the enemies may be 'evil/bad', and you will be rewarded for killing most of them. But you will be rewarded more for letting them live, and defeating them by some other manner (with the exception of the witch and Dracula)... On the other end of the spectrum you actually get penalized for showing generosity! Greed is good, you get more points for not giving up any of the treasures you find! Thievery and kleptomania is often treated as an acceptable life value.
  • exoexo
    edited June 2012
    I always got the impression that the KQ world was not very innocent at all. Maybe at the end of a game it is, but when you first start... every single person either has a problem that needs solving or will kill you.

Instant death waits around every corner. Innocent my ass....

To use the OP's example of KQ5, there is nothing like visiting an Inn just to get bashed over the head, tied up, and thrown in the cellar.... Not sure I ever saw that in a disney movie....
  • edited June 2012
    Hahhahahha!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.