Top 3 Games You'd Love to See Remade

2»

Comments

• edited September 2007
    I know the Apple version of Wolfenstein 3D had higher res graphics for front on views (no other angles, however), but what were the other differences?

As for Doom, it would be brilliant pulled of well, but I don't think it'll be possible. Anyway, Doom source ports keep me happy!!!

I don't like these as much. (Either buggy or arrogant devs)

PS. I thought Doom 3 sucked hard. It was boring and repetitive.

PS2. Ugh. I hate url tags.

And more to the topic. Black Mesa, Half Life remake is looking nice.

Doom 3 sucked hard? no wonder you`re on this site
  • edited September 2007
    Doom 3 sucked hard? no wonder you`re on this site

Okay, let's refrain from insulting one another please.
  • edited September 2007
    1. Monkey Island 4 With a mouse interface

2. Monkey Island 3 In 3D

3. Monkey Island 2 Without DOS and real voices and better graphics
  • edited September 2007
    Ick. Monkey Island 3 in 3D is a definite no. Guybrush's expressions didn't come across very well in 3D in MI4, and part of the humour in MI3 came from that sort of thing (like his face when the pirates start singing).

And I'd rather not see MI2 with voices. Don't ask why, I don't know, but it wouldn't feel right (I liked the voices in MI3, but that had voices from the start. Playing MI2 with voices would just seem weird and, much as I like his voice acting, I don't think Dom would work well with MI2-style Guybrush).
    The only upgrade of graphics I'd really want to see in it is higher resolution scans of the hand painted backgrounds (and probably higher res sprites as well, otherwise they'd look out of place).

Monkey Island 4 with a mouse interface would be awesome. MI4 in 2D (or at least with more expressive 3D models) would be good to see too.

I'm not anti-modern or anything (I thought Sam and Max made the transition to 3D very well), but I'd rather see the classics left as they were. More often than not, a shoddy remake or a few bad decisions graphics and voice-wise can really ruin good memories of old games.
  • edited September 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority :P What about One Must Fall 2097? I refuse to believe you if you say you disliked that gem. :D Imagine what today's systems can do with the robots in that game.

Well... I do believe you're a bit late with that one. Clicky

Anyway, I guess I'd quite like to see what could be done with the classic western shooter Outlaws. But I think at least part of the charm for that game for me is the brightly coloured cartoony sprites so probably best not. Maybe if someone could make a high resolution Planescape: Torment? Mmm...
  • edited September 2007
    im with badwolf on this one... XD
    And Im guessing zach is not very old? .. 14 ? 15? Not to insult mind you just for reasoning of doing these great classics new. Its like adding color to black and white movies.. im all against it. But hey thats me. I like classics the way they are. But I do agree a nice remake of 4 would be awesome. Im up in the air on the voices.. depends on who does them I suppose. I really dont like some of the kings quest remake voice packs but some do.. personally I think it made the game horrid to hear the voices of poorly recorded, non professional people vs just reading.
  • edited September 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Yeah. Apparently Grim Fandango has godawful controls, then... :p

I think the control scheme worked great for Grim Fandango, but for some reason, even though they were exactly the same, I thought they were just too stiff for Monkey Island, I can't explain it either, moving was the same, looking was the same, I just didn't like 'em in Monkey Island, I think the Nostalgia factor may play into it somehow.

1. Space Quest 1 (full 3d) i don't think 3d is a must for gaming, but if any adventure game should be revamped with it, it should be Space Quest
    2. Sam and Max Hit the Road (redone by Telltale) I know I wouldn't like it anywhere near as much as the original (again nostalgia factor) but it would be cool to see done.
    3. Rex Nebular, I loved this game and unfortunately it's fallen into near obscurity, I think it's time we brought it back.

OT: Actually if anyone who knows how to program with AGS or WME, or any other, wants to make a Rex Nebular Fan sequal, PM me, I already got some ideas.
  • edited September 2007
    Speaking of remakes - take at gander at this :)
    gameinfo_screen03.jpg

Alien Breed would be very welcome as well.
  • edited September 2007
    that looks so like unreal tounament
  • edited September 2007
    Speedball was first ;)
    300px-Speedball2_s5.png
    But yep it's not the most inspired character design I've seen. Still looks cool though.
  • edited September 2007
    abdallah wrote: »
    Speedball was first ;)
    300px-Speedball2_s5.png
    But yep it's not the most inspired character design I've seen. Still looks cool though.

i know that but the characters didnt look like they wore that type of armour i loved that game well sb2
  • edited September 2007
    Probably a good remake of MediEvil, the PSP version sucked and I think it would be suited to home console rather than portable console. I like to see Earthworm Jim remade for portable consoles.
  • edited September 2007
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    Probably a good remake of MediEvil, the PSP version sucked and I think it would be suited to home console rather than portable console. I like to see Earthworm Jim remade for portable consoles.

Is that an "I'd like to see"? Because I'm fairly certain an Earthworm Jim game is in fact coming out on PSP (Leastways, I have a couple of mentions of it in a few of my copies of Retro Gamer, although I really don't know how recent that information is because Retro Gamer comes out like 2 months late here). The same old 2D gameplay, but 3D modelled. Not fully 3D like that one game though... *shudder*.
  • edited September 2007
    I thought there was an Earthworm Jim on GBA
  • edited September 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    Upgrading older games so that they simply run on newer hardware (without really altering the content) is perfectly fine with me. I'd much rather see originality than remakes. Sadly, current marketplace realities don't agree with me...

I'm with Squinky. Remakes tend to frustrate me as they're rarely better than the originals. I'd love to see the media (which includes games, music, movies, television, etc.) to move beyond this trend and go back to creating unique works.
  • edited September 2007
    I really only have two.

1. Elder Scrolls: Arena
    2. Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

If both of these games were remade ala Oblivion, I'd be ecstatic. But probably not in ecstasy, because that has a completely different meaning for some deranged reason.
  • edited November 2007
    Remakes? Bleh. But if I'll make a list anyways.

1. The original Quake [To date, this is the only shooter that still creeps the hell out of me.. I think it's more the soundtrack than the game itself, but even so. I love it's world, so much more creative than the stupid Cyberpunk gore of Quake 2,3 & 4]
    2. The original Apple 2 Wolfenstein. [I absolutely love Wolfenstein 3D, and I like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but I hated everything about RTcW. I love stealth games, and to see a wolf game in the original style would be great :D]
    3. Dungeon Keeper [Maybe even if it's not a remake, we should at least see a rejuvenation of the series. I miss these games so much :(]

Games I DON'T want to see remade that they have been rumoring they want to remake:
    1. Silent Hill [Silent Hill is my all time favourite series of all time. Rumor is, they want to remake it, but with Rose instead of Harry. Sometimes remaking a classic can help the series get back on it's feet in the modern era, but in this case, remaking a classic would only screw it up. I would be devastated if they f***ed with the original SH formula.]

2. Final Fantasy 7 [I just hate Final Fantasy, and whenever I see some FF fan get into my face yelling at me saying I'm a heartless bastard cuz I didn't cry when whateverhernameis died, I want to see the guy spontaneously combust, get put out, then implode on himself. We do NOT need another Final Fantasy 7 scam from Square]

3. Quake 2 [I admire id Software for their work on Wolf3D, the entire doom series, but Quake started flailing after it's second entry, and by god, they did not need to drag it on with the mess that was Q3:Arena nor Raven's attempt with Quake 4.]
  • edited November 2007
    In the same vein, we do NOT need any more bang bang shootemup games. Isn't TF2 good enough for everyone?
  • edited November 2007
    AllenB wrote: »
    In the same vein, we do NOT need any more bang bang shootemup games. Isn't TF2 good enough for everyone?
    You're crazy and need to spend several years playing vertical scrolling shoot-em-ups and pinball machines until you understand what a terrible idea that was.
  • edited November 2007
    I spent most of my childhood playing vertical scrolling shoot-em-ups and pinball machines. :P
    I just meant that it's about time that they stop flooding the market with what is essentially the same game with a gimmick.
  • edited November 2007
    I know what you mean, and I agree that a lot more products should try to be more inventive. But I'm still REALLY happy there's a new "Star Soldier" game on the way, some things are good as they are and don't need much change, like a pinball table, that's why I brought them up. By the way -
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-572077907195969915
    : o)
  • edited November 2007
    1.- MI4 with a MOUSE
    2.- Grim Fandango with a MOUSE
    3.- Veil of darkness (as an adventure or with really updated graphics.)

4.- Thief 1 with better graphics and physics (i hated when i used an arrow on the very face of the guards at less than a feet away... and i hardly scratched them.. even if it was on the very eye >_<) 2 and 3 wherent as good imho
    5.- MI1, MI2, MM2, S&M, etc, with more pixels in both backgrounds and sprites like someone said....+voices for MI1 and 2
    6.- System Shock 1 and 2 with an updated engine and graphics only
  • edited November 2007
    glenfx wrote: »
    1.- MI4 with a MOUSE
    2.- Grim Fandango with a MOUSE

I'm going to second that, and add real-time backrounds rather than pre-rendered for both as well. (Tried explaining why, but couldn't so I'll leave it at that).
  • edited November 2007
    AllenB wrote: »

Instead of getting rid of FPSs, we just need to get devs to be more original with them. Not every shooter has to be BioShock quality, but they can at least work on the blandness a bit. I still love shooters as much as the next guy, but there's gotta be more story ideas than aliens/nazis/demons/south koreans/1986 Denver Broncos/etc. trying to kill you.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.