question about Doc [episode1/2 spoilers inside]

Just finished the first two episodes and I still don't understand why Doc vanished at the beginning of the game. Einstein was in the DeLeoreon and then Doc started fading, and it turns out he was in jail in 1931. But when did he even time travel to 1931? It was Einstein who was in the DeLoreon. Did I miss something? Or is it explained in later episodes. If its explained in later episodes just say so and don't spoil it for me, but if it's not, It's racking my brain that I can't figure out why!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I'm having a little trouble understanding what you're unclear about but there's quite a bit of explaining done towards the end of the game; give the last episodes a chance to clear things up.
  • edited July 2012
    Just finished the first two episodes and I still don't understand why Doc vanished at the beginning of the game. Einstein was in the DeLeoreon and then Doc started fading, and it turns out he was in jail in 1931. But when did he even time travel to 1931? It was Einstein who was in the DeLoreon. Did I miss something? Or is it explained in later episodes. If its explained in later episodes just say so and don't spoil it for me, but if it's not, It's racking my brain that I can't figure out why!

If you're referring to the part right in the beginning at the mall, then that was just a dream sequence. Marty was having a nightmare about the original temporal experiment at Twin Pines Mall.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Just finished the first two episodes and I still don't understand why Doc vanished at the beginning of the game.
    That was Marty's dream (as evidenced by Marty waking up in his bed afterward and his mother telling him that he was safe and sound in good old 1986). None of that ever actually happened.
    Einstein was in the DeLeoreon and then Doc started fading, and it turns out he was in jail in 1931. But when did he even time travel to 1931? It was Einstein who was in the DeLoreon.
    It's all explained in episode 1. When Marty first finds the DeLorean, the recording of Doc explains to Marty that he installed an automatic retrieval system in the DeLorean that will automatically drive the DeLorean back to the present to send for Marty (months after the events of the films, because as explained when talking to Doc in Jail, Doc wanted Marty to live a normal life for a while, free from the perils of time travel) in the event that it hasn't been driven for a long period of time. When you talk to Doc in the prison, you find out that Doc went to 1931 to find out who was behind the speakeasy fire, but Doc accidentally ended up being accused of committing the speakeasy arson himself. Doc was in jail and then was murdered on the courthouse steps, so Doc couldn't drive the DeLorean in time before the DeLorean automatically went back to the present. Einstein was simply sitting in the DeLorean at the time, and went along for the ride.
    Did I miss something? Or is it explained in later episodes. If its explained in later episodes just say so and don't spoil it for me, but if it's not, It's racking my brain that I can't figure out why!
    It's all explained from the start, but you find out the ultimate reason behind Doc going to 1931 at the finale of episode 5.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks guys. When Marty woke up, I thought he was having a nightmare about what actually happened to cause Doc's disappearance. In my opinion, they didn't make it clear enough that his dream was a completely invented event that never happened. Well, mystery solved, thanks!
  • edited July 2012
    I think Marty saying it was a dream is pretty clear.
  • edited July 2012
    I think Marty saying it was a dream is pretty clear.

Well, it wasn't. I interpreted it as a dream about something that really happened. Those happen all the time both in movies and in real life, so that's why I interpreted it as such.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Well, it wasn't. I interpreted it as a dream about something that really happened. Those happen all the time both in movies and in real life, so that's why I interpreted it as such.
    The beginning of the dream was something that really happened. It was Marty's dream about the first time travel experiment at the Twin Pines mall in 1985. You can tell because there is dialog to make it exactly like the first movie, up until Einstein doesn't arrive when Doc yells "look out!" You can also tell that the dream isn't what actually happened from that point as one of the dialog options Marty can say is "this isn't the way it happened".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.