Sam & Max Season One retail box is up on Amazon

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited July 2007 in Sam & Max
I first noticed this over at Mixnmojo, but Amazon has put up the final box for The Adventure Company's upcoming retail release of Season One. It turned out nice!

517iabJYriL._SS400_.jpg

They put a good amount of work and effort into it, and I think it shows. The front of the box opens up to a 3 panel fold-out which gives a brief (but very classy) visual overview of the last 20 years of Sam & Max, and is littered with press quotes and a sprinkling of awards. There's a decent-length (black and white) manual, and (from what I've been told, at least), the game will come in a jewel case instead of a paper sleeve, with the manual tucked inside as well. (And there's also the fold-out poster, and bonus disc which contains their behind the scenes featurette video, trailers, and other goodies)

Edit: And yes, before people ask, in addition to online retailers like Amazon, the game is definitely going to be in brick and mortar stores across North America, on the expected release date. We should have more on where you'll be able to walk in and pick up a copy soon.

Comments

• MelMel
    edited July 2007
    That looks fantastic! :)
  • edited July 2007
    I preferred that shot when Max was holding a flyswatter. Looked... funnier somehow.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    The bat was a Steve request. Way back when we first created the render, Steve wanted something more menacing in Max's hand than the fly swatter, but at the time we couldn't do it because we were on a tight deadline to create the render for a print ad for GameTap. When The Adventure Company requested this render for their box, we made the change.

[useless trivia]You can't see this part because it's off the side of the box, but the bat has a nail driven into the end of it.[/useless trivia]
  • edited July 2007
    ^Agreed.

Anywho, that box looks great, and the fact that it has a manual and potentially a jewel case. I just bought the Space Quest collection, and was sad to find that it was just a cd in a sleeve inside a box. I was worried for a bit the box might be empty. Good to see some publishers still know how to create a box people can keep as a collectors item.

*edit* Is anyone else worried that 10% of people who viewed the page bought a Nancy Drew game?
  • edited July 2007
    Reading about Max holding a badge had me worried for a second, but I must admit the contrast with the bat works out nicely (especially with that gleeful smile in the mix). All in all that is one incredibly stylish box.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Heh yeah. The Adventure Company wanted one of them to be holding a badge of some sort to get across the "these guys are allegedly law enforcement" angle, and that's when the idea of bringing back Steve's bat suggestion came in. Everyone liked the idea of Max holding a police badge in one hand, and a huge blunt object in the other.
  • edited July 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    The front of the box opens up to a 3 panel fold-out which gives a brief (but very classy) visual overview of the last 20 years of Sam & Max, and is littered with press quotes and a sprinkling of awards.

Does it have screen of the comics, Hit The Road and the TV show or does it just mention them?
    edited July 2007
    A little of both.
  • edited July 2007
    Oooo, the box looks great! :)
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    *edit* Is anyone else worried that 10% of people who viewed the page bought a Nancy Drew game?

They're embracing their edgy side. :p
  • edited July 2007
    Related Searches: office electronics

Riiiiiiight...
  • edited July 2007
    does anyone have an australian release date for this?
  • edited July 2007
    Jake/Emily, do you know if the European JoWood version will have the same look? I think it looks great. :p
  • edited July 2007
    Well, the official Website of the European version, http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/tac/sam_and_max/index_ger.php
    looks like we where getting a version with the flyswatter.. but well, this does not have to be the final version.. i bet, it's going to look quite similar at least.. And well, the telltale-dvd looks better, anyway..
  • edited July 2007
    That's good that people who are buying/looking at Season One on Amazon are also buying/looking at office electronics, because that means Sam & Max appeals to the office worker demographic. :D
  • edited July 2007
    Agent Calavera, the image that's on Dreamcatcher's site is the placeholder version. You'll notice that it also appears on the English site as well.
    edited July 2007
    Jake/Emily, do you know if the European JoWood version will have the same look?

Don't know yet.

No one will be using the flyswatter version. That's just placeholder art.
    edited July 2007
    I've seen mockups for a few European boxes and thay're all very similar to the North American release aside from ratings and format info, and the text being translated obviously. I think some regions are getting a DVD snapcase and some are getting a small box, but I'm not sure.
  • edited July 2007
    I bet the badge is just foil covered chocolate isn't it? :D
  • edited July 2007
    Think we could see the whole picture of Max holding the bat please? :o
  • edited July 2007
    Hmmm, when I looked it up, I found this under the Related Items tab.... As well as two different links to two different versions of Surfin' the Highway....

Are you guys planning something with Amazon?
  • edited July 2007
    It's the Age of S&M....
    Same one that there has always been. As for surfin the highway... I don't see any others. Other then Hardcover and Softcover
  • edited July 2007
    actually there are really 3 versions :P Hardback edition... 1st press tpb 2nd press tpb. That I know of anyway. All are the same book but the hardback is clothbound with the nifty golden flaming max head which miiight show up in the telltale store .. wont say anymore there. Some loon is trying to sell a hardcover of surfin for 400$ and its in beat up condition. I told him he was insane but good luck. (even though it is a limited number one its still no where near worth 400$ heck 200$ on a good day 250 on a great day)Hope for the fans sake no one is dumb enough to pay that but cheers to whoever wants to :P
    edited July 2007
    We don't have any plans to put the Age of S&M sketchbook on Amazon. In fact, when we run out of what we have, we won't be printing any more, because Steve wants it to be a limited edition. So if you haven't bought it yet, you should. :D Once they're gone from our store, they'll be gone for good.
  • edited July 2007
    Well well, good thing I immediately sealed my sketchbook in an airtight plastic envelope when I read through it a couple times. :)
  • edited July 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    We don't have any plans to put the Age of S&M sketchbook on Amazon. In fact, when we run out of what we have, we won't be printing any more, because Steve wants it to be a limited edition. So if you haven't bought it yet, you should. :D Once they're gone from our store, they'll be gone for good.

Crap... and me without extra spending cash right now outside of what I owe you guys for my Season DVD, soundtrack, and case file. Here's hoping there are still copies left when the limited edition re-print of Surfin' the Highway comes out!

It seems odd that Steve would want it to be a limited edition. Doesn't he make money off of every sale from that book?
    edited July 2007
    It seems odd that Steve would want it to be a limited edition. Doesn't he make money off of every sale from that book?

I don't think it has anything to do with money. He just likes to cycle merchandise in and out. You have to admit, knowing that it won't be around forever makes it that much more special when you buy one...
  • edited July 2007
    True. Can't argue with that. *eyes his complete collection of various Happy Meal toys series*
  • edited July 2007
    See thats why I must have every item of sam and max merchandise thats in existence :p
  • edited July 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with money. He just likes to cycle merchandise in and out. You have to admit, knowing that it won't be around forever makes it that much more special when you buy one...

Meaning he goes the Disney way?
  • edited July 2007
    DrakeFox wrote: »
    Meaning he goes the Disney way?

The OLD Disney way. The new Disney way is all about cheap sequels to get a fast buck, all the while ruining beloved franchises that made the company what it was. Case and point: Cinderella 3
  • edited July 2007
    Ah, indeed you're right Zeek. Happy to have been proven wrong and I apologize for my statement, should poor Steve be reading this.
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    The OLD Disney way. The new Disney way is all about cheap sequels to get a fast buck, all the while ruining beloved franchises that made the company what it was. Case and point: Cinderella 3

Off topic:
    I just read an article talking about that very thing. :)
  • edited July 2007
    203-3196450-1670335?ie=UTF8&n=300703&s=videogames&qid=1185363087&sr=8-1

the european version is almost idetical
    im wondering who jowood are (publisher?) and what else they have done
    edited July 2007
    As of a few months ago when JoWood bought The Adventure Company, they are handling all European publishing of TAC games.
  • edited July 2007
    JoWood have published a deal of games. The ones I've played have varied a lot from being a bit boring to being great.

Quick runthrough of the backs of my boxes reveal games like Silent storm, Arx Fatalis and Future Tactics. Believe there might be a bunch more where I can't find the logo readily on the backs. Furthermore I think that they once published Jagged Alliance 2. Got the Unfinished business which I'm fairly certain were published by JoWood, but having gotten hold of JA2:Gold I gave away unfinished business to get someone else hooked on the game.

In general their games tend to be the not blockbusters, but worthwhile in their own way games.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.