Need PC Gamer review scores.

edited July 2007 in Sam & Max
PC Gamer in the UK have a page where readers send in their reviews for games, for prizes. They were very harsh on the whole of season one, and that bothers me, so I'm gonna write a review. I'm not sure if I'll choose one episode, or find the average score and do the whole season, but either way I havn't read it for several months, and I don't have the scores they gave the episodes. Does anyone have them? Thanks.

Oh, and again: This is for the UK version.

THankees.
(Also, I know they put a database of review scores on their disc, but I lost it.)

Comments

• edited July 2007
    I stopped reading PC Gamer a long, long time ago. #1, I got sick of the editor, #2, I got sick of the advertisements, #3, the magazine was getting worse every month.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    The US PC Gamer and the UK PC Gamer are entirely different pubs. The US mag's reviews were very favorable all season, and the UK's reviews... weren't.

Mercury, you should be able to see all of PC Gamer UK's scores by looking up Sam & Max on GameRankings.
  • edited July 2007
    Its funny pc gamer UK were quite big supporters of sam and max so i'm not sure why they rubbished the season
  • edited July 2007
    Season One could've been better in some areas, sure, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means... :/
  • edited July 2007
    Well, I found them. If anyone's interested, they were, episodes 1 to 6:
    61%, 65%, 58%, 72%, 67%, and 52%.
    The average was 62%.
  • edited July 2007
    Woah!!! Those scores are terrible! What bizzare and convoluted reason did they have for such dreadful numbers?
  • edited July 2007
    They shall pay for their insolence!
  • edited July 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Woah!!! Those scores are terrible! What bizzare and convoluted reason did they have for such dreadful numbers?

Because Tell Tale forgot to put a tenner in the box.

Update: Before someone mentions it, YES, I am aware of the complete lack of box. Please don't be pedantic. Anyway, first draft coming soon. Want to make sure my fellow fans won't lynch me for what I say ;)
  • edited July 2007
    Well, this is more an amalgamation of ideas than a final review, but we do have a word limit of "Around 220 words". Thoughts, anyone?

Reviewing Sam and Max episode by episode is a bit like saying Lost is crap because you only saw that damn stupid polar bear episode; taking one low point and dragging it across a whole series. So I’m going to review the whole season, based on your average score per episode.
    The new, episodic S&M (oh, it sounds so dirty…) is a definite move from the classic Lucas Arts point n’ clicker. Out goes edgy social satire, in comes Pythonesque silliness. Of course, no sitcom is complete withput running gags, and they are present- “What’s Boscos’s disguise this month?” “What’s Sybils’s new job?” and of course “What’s the new souvenir in the closet?” Many of our hero’s wise cracks do hit home, unlike your reviewers who must have had a sense of humour failure on writing day. Or maybe they had fond memories of the original over riding good sense. I don’t blame you, so did I. Despite the major humour differences (And let’s face it, that’s where S&M’s heart really lies), Season one proved to be an equally enjoyable, equally funny and equally “Damn it, I’m Googling for a walkthrough” experience (and not to mention budget friendly) to match that of the original. The puzzles are often tricky, yet with logical solutions. Please, PCG, please- re-review when you get the retail edition and see the light.

My score: 80% (Hey, by my standerds, that's awesome. But I never give a game anything higher than 90.)
  • edited July 2007
    Not a bad review. If you don't go over 90, you seem to have given it a really high score...
  • edited July 2007

Update: Before someone mentions it, YES, I am aware of the complete lack of box. Please don't be pedantic. Anyway, first draft coming soon. Want to make sure my fellow fans won't lynch me for what I say ;)

He's totally right, though. Gaming magazines give reviews these days much more on the basis of bribery than actual merit. That's why I go to blogs and friends for opinions on games. They don't get paid by gaming companies to boost their review ratings.

In sum: The more money you give the gaming magazine, the better your score will be.
  • edited July 2007

Hmm, yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. :( The only reason a game should ever get in the 50s or 60s (%) is if it's extremely buggy, unfinished, or just plain boring. Did they have the same reviewer for all 6 episodes?
  • edited July 2007
    I find that most critics tend to overlook the entertainment value of some video games. I know, it sounds odd, but I've enjoyed many games with sub-par ratings because - although it wasn't technically a masterpiece - my friends and I were able to enjoy a shallow, superficial gaming experience.

Take Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. It was a mediocre game. Definitely. But I quite thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe because I'm a sucker for robots. I don't know.

But I've also enjoyed critically acclaimed games like Resident Evil 4. The entertainment value in that is just huge. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that the scores reviewers give isn't always on par with how much fun you'll have playing the game.
  • edited July 2007
    this is why i don't read reviews any more people thinking that 50 to 60 percent is bad when it is above average its ridiculous unless you add the total pecentage up to over 120 which is impossible

magazines that constantly give games 90% plus are saying these games are almost perfect which in most cases they are not perfect and people often do not enjoy them
  • edited July 2007
    The new, episodic S&M (oh, it sounds so dirty…) is a definite move from the classic Lucas Arts point n’ clicker. Out goes edgy social satire, in comes Pythonesque silliness.

I don't think this bit is true, and I'm glad it's not, because the games would be very tedious if they were just crazy, with no snideness or subtlety.
  • edited July 2007
    I find that most critics tend to overlook the entertainment value of some video games. I know, it sounds odd, but I've enjoyed many games with sub-par ratings because - although it wasn't technically a masterpiece - my friends and I were able to enjoy a shallow, superficial gaming experience.
    If you have to play 10 shallow, superficial gaming experiences a month on a tight deadline you tend not to enjoy it so much.

That said, I think in this case it was likely just not understanding the genre, or wanting the games to be something other than what they were (longer, higher budget, whatever)
  • edited July 2007
    I did a few tweaks, made it read better generally. Added more about the actual game play. Sent it in just now. I'll let you know if I win. If I don't, I won't say anything and ask you guys to forget this thread ever, ever existed.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.