How about some technical questions?

edited September 2006 in Sam & Max
So, I'm a bit of a techie (red: programmer). oddly enough, it was games like Sam and Max that first got me into the idea of being a software developer (too bad that hasn't panned out the way I hoped it would).

Anyway, since I've always been into the nitty-gritty of things (code hooking is fun with MadCHook!) I've got a couple of questions I couldn't find any answers to on the forums (or, rather, I tried to search, and ended up in a sea of irrelevant posts) so I hope some other people out there could answer some of the silly questions that have popped into my head:

Will Sam & Max be using managed code (C#?), run in a VM (Java?), or have a native runtime (asm/c/c /whatever? -- and if so, will there be a 64-bit version?)

Will there be a scripting system (using Lua, Javascript?), native libraries (dll?), or something totally different (a new binary for each episode?)

Will users be given the opportuniry to create content, even if it is only text-based?

DirectX, OpenGL, or a software renderer?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but like I said, I had one hell of a difficult time searching the forums.

Anyway, back to msvc for me ;D

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    I don't know the answers to most of these questions. :(

We use a proprietary software tool that was developed by our CTO Kevin Bruner and other members of the Telltale team. He talked about the tool a bit in this thread from the Adventure Gamers developer's chat.

As for user-generated content, there will not be an opportunity for it in-game, but we are big fans of the concept and are always looking for ways to get the community involved in Sam & Max content. (This is, of course, why we created the Sam & Max comic generator, and we're looking for other community-oriented things we can do in this area as well.)
  • edited September 2006
    I don't know the answers to most of these questions. :(

They're just questions, anyway. It's how my mind works.

I guess you could say I'm just too White and Nerdy ;)
    We use a proprietary software tool that was developed by our CTO Kevin Bruner and other members of the Telltale team. He talked about the tool a bit in this thread from the Adventure Gamers developer's chat.

Thanks for that link! :) Sounds a lot like Sierra's old software 3D renderer for their Quest For Glory Win32 game -- scalable across many hardware types.

(As an interesting side note, I almost had the opportunity to interview Kevin for Lockergnome and Geekstreak, but scheduling never worked out.)
    As for user-generated content, there will not be an opportunity for it in-game

How disappointing :(, I love getting my hands on in-house dev tools and just playig around with them, getting new ideas, etc..

That Maya plugin Kevin spoke about seems really interesting. I never could wrap my head around the Maya API.
    but we are big fans of the concept and are always looking for ways to get the community involved in Sam & Max content.

You should start an Internet Meme by having "sam" and "max" post to various blogs around the interweb. They could get into a heated discussion over the intricate tastes of various toasts.

Well, maybe not.

One more question, if I could: any chance of Telltale looking into Microsoft's XNA Game Studio? Once it goes "live" it would be very interesting to see Sam & Max on Xbox Live Arcade.

Thanks Emily! ;)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    (As an interesting side note, I almost had the opportunity to interview Kevin for Lockergnome and Geekstreak, but scheduling never worked out.)

Oh no? Shoot an email to pr@telltalegames.com, and we can get that set up.
    One more question, if I could: any chance of Telltale looking into Microsoft's XNA Game Studio? Once it goes "live" it would be very interesting to see Sam & Max on Xbox Live Arcade.

Yep, this is something we're interested in pursuing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.