Warp Drive

Having acquired my Sam & Max Season One disc, I really do have to ask "What the heck is Warp Drive?" Does it do anything or is it just a pointless gag to make us all scratch our heads? I want to think it's just a prank, but why carry the prank on through all six episodes? Hmmm... Maybe that's just it! The prank is making us think it ISN'T a prank by carrying it on for so long! Or maybe... Telltale's in league with the Martians to make us paranoid of a Warp Drive that doesn't exist so that we overlook the steadily-growing threat of Martian invasion!

Well played, Telltale Games. Well played...

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Its a prank
  • edited July 2007
    Its a prank

No it's not. It's just buggy, and not working all the time.

I wish the "Warp Drive" button would make Sam and Max run like they do in Episode 5 (when being shrunk down), but ALL THE TIME. Just the thought of Sam's running-animation makes me piss myself laughing...

If anyone of you Telltale-Techs isn't stuck in San Diego (or on vacation, while your employees are there), PLEASE put up an animated GIF of that run... PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEE!!!!
  • edited July 2007
    It was a feature that was never fully implemented. The general concensus is that it was to increase walking speed.
  • edited July 2007
    It works for me. Same with 3D acceleration in Curse of Monkey Island.
  • edited July 2007
    So how do we get this warp drive to work if it doesn't do so already?
  • edited July 2007
    Dude... HELLO? So... MUCH... MISINFORMATION!

Warp drive does NOTHING. It was never intended to do anything. As I recall, it was a placeholder in case they decided they wanted a third checkbox option.
  • edited July 2007
    Maratanos is right. May the misinformation end NOW, please.
  • edited July 2007
    Oh come now. Everyone knows that Dis-information is better than Dat-information.
  • edited July 2007
    Sorry, I just can't stand misinformation. It scared me off MySpace in an instant.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Yep, what Maratanos said. It's not a bug. It was never intended to do anything.

Jeez, didn't you guys read the manual? :p
  • edited July 2007
    *Eerily calm*

I don't have the manual. I'm still waiting for my DVD because I ordered the Case File!!

*Ahem* Soo...the Case File will be ready for shipping any day now, right?
  • edited July 2007
    Next week!
  • edited July 2007
    Argh, that's why I hated that manual! AHHHHHHH!

Here's what it says:
    Warp Drive, a highly useful feature, can be used to "Continued on Page 24
    THERE IS NO PAGE 24, I'M GOING TO GO INSANE!"
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    It was a feature that was never fully implemented. The general concensus is that it was to increase walking speed.

Sadly the general consesus was incorrect, as has been said many times. :( When I designed the game's options screen with Randy when season one was first being built, we left an empty space in there in case an extra feature was added (there was talk of a tutorial, or possibly a hint system). We decided to fill the space with something random until a new feature came to take its place, and Randy put "warp drive" there I think to have a sort of ambiguously functional menu item there in the tradition of the "enable SCUMM 3D" option in Monkey Island 3. As it turned out, there was never a new feature for that space in the course of the entire season, so Warp Drive remained there the whole time, confusing the heck out of everyone. Woo.
  • edited July 2007
    I still think it gave me cancer... luckily, by unchecking the box I was cured.

And Jake, you really had me going in the old thread about this. You kept alluding to "time" in every post... grrr...
    edited July 2007
    Also it enables time travel, letting you visit locations from previous episodes, via an all new 3D map of the USA. And when Warp Drive is enabled, you can use Max to short out the roller coaster in the Blister, and as a sword in Reality 2.0, and the game is in 2D. Sadly it was never fully implemented.
  • edited July 2007
    You can tell Jake's a fan right there. :D

Now I want a Max sword...
  • edited July 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Also it enables time travel, letting you visit locations from previous episodes, via an all new 3D map of the USA. And when Warp Drive is enabled, you can use Max to short out the roller coaster in the Blister, and as a sword in Reality 2.0, and the game is in 2D. Sadly it was never fully implemented.

Be careful, Jake. I know for a fact we've got people on this forum who will think you're being serious... :eek:
    edited July 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    *Ahem* Soo...the Case File will be ready for shipping any day now, right?

*Ahem*

As we've mentioned in a zillion places, we'll be stuffing them next week when we return from Comic-Con. ;)
  • edited July 2007
    -does not mind waiting-
  • edited July 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    *Ahem*

As we've mentioned in a zillion places, we'll be stuffing them next week when we return from Comic-Con. ;)

Well, I didn't know the date, but thanks. :)

And I'll be more patient this week. I'm taking some courses in chess strategy! :D
    edited July 2007
    Sorry if my response before was snippy. :p

I hope you'll find it was worth the wait!
  • edited July 2007
    Lol I always thought it was a gag that had to do with the engines in Starships (From the Star Trek shows) since they have Warp Drives.

LOL.
  • edited July 2007
    Will "Impulse Drive" be in Season Two? :/ Orrrr... "Transwarp Drive"?
    edited July 2007
    A new feature will be in season two, and will have nothing to do with the word "drive."
  • edited July 2007
    Running? Caffeine rush? O_O

Say...that's a good idea...be right back, I'm gonna go post a new thread suggestion....
  • edited July 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    A new feature will be in season two, and will have nothing to do with the word "drive."

hmm... double-clicking to an area (a door for example) put you in instantly ? :)
  • edited July 2007
    Ohhhh, teleportation? :p
  • edited July 2007
    Teleportation without dismembered lincoln body parts and fuzzy game logic??
  • edited July 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Will "Impulse Drive" be in Season Two? :/ Orrrr... "Transwarp Drive"?

Pfft. Everyone know Ludricous Speed is better!
  • edited July 2007
    Improbability drive.
  • edited July 2007
    Nah, it will be the incledible option of running the game in 2D. It's for those that want that old school nostalgic feel. It will work as well as the 3D option in Monkey Island :p

Edit: Just in case anyone misses it: I am kidding.
  • edited July 2007
    Rasher wrote: »
    Nah, it will be the incledible option of running the game in 2D. It's for those that want that old school nostalgic feel. It will work as well as the 3D option in Monkey Island :p

Edit: Just in case anyone misses it: I am kidding.

Nooooo! You beat me to it :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.