Running option

edited July 2007 in Sam & Max
I know that a lot of S&M fans probably have a short attention span like Max. I know I do. And so I suggest, the ability to run! :D

The animations are all there for Sam and Max, all you'd have to do is give us the ability to control them like that. Maybe with an item, or key(Hold down shift), maybe even an on/off option in the menu. Is this doable?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Yeah, that would be nice. I always hoped that "Warp Speed" would someday make them run. When you have to get somewhere quick it can be annoying having to walk to get there. The shift key would be the perfect way to implement running, since that's what just about every game uses for it.
  • edited July 2007
    or being able to double click on an exit to a location to jump there...
  • edited July 2007
    Running would be nice, but I think I'd like it to be togglable so that you don't have to go to the menu if you suddenly decide to walk, as you might in smaller locations. Problem is since Season One only requires mouse control I've got into a really lazy habit of lying back in my chair and only using one hand to play the game - would the running option mean I had to move??

Double-clicking to exit is a good idea. I think I'd prefer that to the suggestion in some other thread of having a Desoto button you could access from anywhere, because it would be nearly as fast and would prevent you from missing out on changes to locations that take place as the game progresses
    (going straight to the Desoto in Episode 6 might cause you to miss out on Red/Blue Maxes, for example)
  • edited July 2007
    I am in agreement with the above statements.
    Running would be nice, but I think I'd like it to be togglable so that you don't have to go to the menu if you suddenly decide to walk, as you might in smaller locations. Problem is since Season One only requires mouse control I've got into a really lazy habit of lying back in my chair and only using one hand to play the game - would the running option mean I had to move??

No offense to you, Christovksy, - in fact I found this to be a good laugh - but that is an all new level of laziness if I've ever seen one.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm sorry, should I be taking offence? I see only compliments :D
  • edited July 2007
    What about holding down the right mouse button when running?

And I'm afraid instant teleport would ruin the immersion.(Big Myst nerd here.)
  • edited July 2007
    Kedri wrote: »

And I'm afraid instant teleport would ruin the immersion.(Big Myst nerd here.)

Zip mode? :p
  • edited July 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    Or maybe just right-click somewhere to run there, left-click somewhere to walk there.
  • edited July 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Zip mode? :p

Disabled. ;)
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Well, there is always the 'DeSoto' (or its keys) inventory icon to jump to it
  • edited July 2007
    The difficulty with the right-click suggestion is that various ideas have been put forward for the use of that button outside of dialogue, for instance a 'look at' option, if Telltale decide to implement it, which I'd prefer to a running one. Holding down the shift key for running sounds like the way forward, in my opinion, much as I hate to draw my left hand out of retirement.

The Desoto jump does feel a lot like instant teleportation, and I agree with Kedri that that would distance the player from the game.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    I think that using that option is different from teleporting.
    For instance if using the icon triggers the same dialog as clicking the DeSoto (and a fade out after selecting a new target), instead of a "sci-fi" instant teleport, we end with a classic avoid-the-walk-to-the-car scene.
    Of course it can be abused, but thats up to the player.... having the option gives the player a choice.
    After going back and forth on S1E4, I'm for it.
  • edited July 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Of course it can be abused, but thats up to the player.... having the option gives the player a choice.

Fair point, yeah. I guess I'm just afraid if I had the option I'd be tempted to use it even if I felt I shouldn't :p
  • edited July 2007
    Something I remember from some game or other ages ago was the double-click to run. It worked pretty sweetly.
  • edited July 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    I think that using that option is different from teleporting.
    For instance if using the icon triggers the same dialog as clicking the DeSoto (and a fade out after selecting a new target), instead of a "sci-fi" instant teleport, we end with a classic avoid-the-walk-to-the-car scene.
    After going back and forth on S1E4, I'm for it.
    A hint option ca be added, too. While great, it's the temptation that can ruin things. Like with flymode for Uru, you could see new things, get great views, and other such stuff. However, when I used it, I discovered just how finite these magical worlds are, and that's ruined my game perspective forever.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.