Sam and Max at Comic-Con?

edited July 2006 in Sam & Max
As I'm playing on going to CCI next month, I was perusing the list of exhibitors and happened to see a listing for
Sam & Max / The Unmentionables. Table 1231

See for yourself:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exhib_3.shtml#S

Anyway, I'm wondering is this something TTG has set up about the new game? Or does it have something to do with the Sam and Max comic? Will Steve Purcell be there? Will I score a date with Jennifer Love Hewitt? Okay. Maybe the last question has nothing to do with the topic, but never hurts to ask.

If anyone here does have knowledge about this, I'm also curious. Who or what is the unmentionables?

And anyone who says that the answer can't be mentioned will be stuffed in a blender, set on puree, and fed to a hippopotamus with an intestinal virus. You have been warned.

Comments

• edited June 2006
    well it would make a lot of sense for sam and max to be at comic con.. maybe the unmentionables is the new license telltale is workin on.. an invincibles game perhaps? :-$ who knows
  • edited June 2006
    actually lookin at the list.. the unmentionables must be the publisher for sam and max.. new comic?..rerelease of surfin the highway perhaps?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2006
    We'll be there, although we don't have a booth. Steve is going to have a booth so I expect we'll be hanging out with him a bit. :D I'm sorry, I don't know who The Unmentionables are. :-/

Telltale will be speaking at a panel on Thursday, the first day of the convention. It's going to be about the making of the Bone and Sam & Max games. Steve will be on the panel, too.

I haven't been to ComicCon before, so I'm looking forward to it!
  • edited June 2006
    Do you expect concept art from season 1 to be on display at this? :)
  • edited June 2006
    Will I score a date with Jennifer Love Hewitt?

Sorry, Jen's hanging out at my place during the convention.

Maybe this Convention will give us the next page of the webcomic, finally?
    edited June 2006
    Do you expect concept art from season 1 to be on display at this?

I'm not sure what's going to be shown during the panel, but it's a possibility.
  • edited June 2006
    Thanks for all the great replies, though it seems nobody knows what the unmentionables is.

I don't think it's necessarily the publisher of Sam and Max.

Sometimes two people share a booth at Comic-Con, especially if they're more on the small scale of things. It's probably that. Two artists sharing a booth to help with the rent, provide more offerings at the same table, and generate cross-interest for the other guy's products.

Wow. This should be great. If it's Steve Purcell, I wonder what he'll be selling :)

Emily, I went to Comic-Con last year. The whole event and energy is just indescribable and the list of my favorite artists that I met (and star wars celebrities!) was staggering.

I hope I'll be able to catch up with the TTG crew somehow. I'd love to meet you guys. I'll only be there one day though and it's not Thursday. Saturday looks most likely.
  • edited July 2006
    For anyone curious, this was added to the schedule for Thursday today at comic-con.com:

12:30-1:30 Telltale: Bringing Great Stories to Life— The team at Telltale has turned some of the world's most recognizable properties into games—from Jeff Smith's popular Bone comic books to television's CSI, and soon Steve Purcell's Sam & Max. The group will talk about how they transform comic book stories and characters into cinematic, interactive experiences. Telltale CEO Dan Connors, game designer Dave Grossman, art director Dave Bogan, and Sam & Max author Steve Purcell will demonstrate their approach to these adaptations and will show a sneak peek of the upcoming Sam & Max game! Room 9

It sounds good, but I won't be there Thursday. I wonder if there's any way I can see this sneak peek on saturday!
    edited July 2006
    Yep, that's our panel! :D

I'm not sure that we'll be able to show anything on Saturday, but we'll do a write-up of the panel for everyone who's not able to make it (hopefully with pictures!) Do be sure to go by Steve's booth, since we're going to have some Telltale postcardy things there that any Sam & Max fan would drool over. Maybe you can even get Steve to sign one!
  • edited July 2006
    I'm definitely going to stop by both the booth and panel on thursday!
    edited July 2006
    I heard from Steve that he is sharing the booth with friends of his, and "The Unmentionables" is a comic that involves underwear. :D

We'll be doing live (sort of) updates from the show floor next week, so I'll be sure to take a picture. :))
    edited July 2006
    Jeff Smith has posted his Comic-Con schedule on Boneville.com:
    I’m going to San Diego, California next week along with the rest of the cartooning tribe for the annual rite of passage we call Comic-Con International. I won’t have my booth this year, but I can be found at a couple of spots on Friday and Saturday:

Friday, July 21 @ The Diamond Comics booth from 2:30 to 3:30

Saturday, July 22 @ The FLIGHT PANEL from 12:30 to 1:30 in ROOM 9

Saturday, July 22 @ The FLIGHT Booth (No.1131) from 3 to 4

We made up an 11”x 17” poster of the new BONE: One Volume Edition cover to give away at the show. Stop by the FLIGHT booth or Comic Book Legal Defense Fund booth (No. 1930) to pick one up!

While you are at the CBLDF booth, peruse all the signed comic book goodies from Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Terry Moore, James Kochalka and lots of other good Americans. New this year are CBLDF Bone membership cards (a few hundred that I pre-signed), and a CBLDF Bone t-shirt.

I should bring one of my Bone books to get signed. And I definitely want to bag one of those Bone One Volume posters. :)

Oh, that reminds me, I saw The Dragonslayer at Barnes and Noble this week. It's out three weeks early! (Of course, this has nothing to do with Comic-Con...)
  • edited July 2006
    WOOT! WOOT! I met Steve Purcell at COMIC-CON tonight! He's selling an awesome SAM & MAX sketchbook and a MAX shirt. Also, the UNMENTIONABLES...Well, it's pretty cool. I won't say any more about it, because it should be a surprise. He he he. Well, I for one am very looking forward to the next installment of Sam & Max. What a pleasure it was to meet Steve behind these 2 incredible cool characters. If you live anywhere NEAR San Diego, I strongly recommend you visit the COMIC-CON. It's like, just so flippen incredible!
  • edited July 2006
    I had my day at Comic-Con yesterday (Saturday) and had a blast. Steve Purcell was the first stop I wanted to make (though I did get distracted a bit on the way)

But I was finally able to meet the man, and thank him for the book I bought from him off of eBay, shake his hand, and enjoy the offerings from his table. I bought the sketch book. It really is fantastic. One of my friends who doesn't know S&M that well was laughing at the lines from the animated series that the network censored. But there's loads of great sketches. As soon as I bought it, Steve Purcell instantly started drawing Max in the front of the book without even being asked to. I also grabbed one of the telltale postcards.

He also did a sketch in the sketchpad I had brought along. I was having various artists draw their characters in a star wars theme. Steve chose to draw Max done up as Yoda saying "Kick the crap out of your ass I will"

I also bought the unmentionables comic, though I haven't yet read it. It looked cute. They gave me a sketch in my pad as well and were really nice. It's a husband-and-wife team working on it. He's the artist and she's the writer, and I discovered that he works with Steve at Pixar. Very cool.

They also told me that Steve storyboard the sequence in Cars where Lightning and Mater are going Tractor-tipping, and Steve provided the moo-voice for the tractors. Steve was kind enough to provide an impromptu performance for me as well.

Alas, none of the Telltale people were hanging around the booth like they said they would be so I didn't get to meet any. A shame. I bet that Emily's a looker!

So yeah. Lots of fun. And that was just the start of it. Hope it was all as good for you Telltale!
  • edited July 2006
    I hope I can get my hands on a copy of the sketch book over here in the icy wastes of Finland.
  • edited July 2006
    He also did a sketch in the sketchpad I had brought along. I was having various artists draw their characters in a star wars theme. Steve chose to draw Max done up as Yoda saying "Kick the crap out of your ass I will"

Can we see a scan by any chance?
  • edited July 2006
    telltale need to sell the sketch book and the max shirt.. I want I want!
    edited July 2006
    Alas, none of the Telltale people were hanging around the booth like they said they would be so I didn't get to meet any. A shame. I bet that Emily's a looker!

Aww, I'm sorry I missed you. I did spend quite a bit of time at Steve's booth on Friday afternoon and again this morning, but most of my Saturday was spent exploring the show floor.

For those who haven't seen them yet, we now have write-ups of Thursday and Friday at the show. Tomorrow we hope to post a final blog that will cover the weekend.
  • edited July 2006
    Can we see a scan by any chance?

I'll be happy to share it as soon as I get it scanned.

By the way, I was at work earlier when I posted, so the caption wasn't exact. Here's what it actually says:

"Kick the crap out of you, shall I?"

I also have a star-wars themed sketch with the Unmentionables character which is quite frankly, stunning so I'll be sure to share that as well.
    edited July 2006
    Our final Comic-Con blog is now up here.

I'd love to see a scan of that Yoda Max, and also of the Unmentionables sketch!
  • edited July 2006
    Yup. I was right. Emily is a looker.

It looks like you guys had a great time at the con.

I know I did. Amongst so many other things, I met the creator of He-Man, and had my picture taken with Greg the Bunny, and got to see Bruce Campbell in person. And all that in a day.

Someday though, I just know Telltale will have its own booth and people will be coming by to demo your games and walking away with big grins and free swag. I look forward to it very much.
  • edited July 2006
    oh and I'll try to get those sketches scanned tonight. Afraid I can't do it on this PC.
  • edited July 2006
    Yup. I was right. Emily is a looker.

I'm sure she is a looker, but we can't judge that from the picture. Everyone is a looker with a Max t-shirt on. :D
  • edited July 2006
    The Unmentionables, eh? I don't think I've heard them mentioned before! :))

... :(
  • edited July 2006
    HAR HAR HAR
  • edited July 2006
    Sorry I took so long :)

Enjoy!

cc06_purcell.jpg

cc06_unmentionables.jpg
    edited July 2006
    Hahaha! Those are both awesome.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.