Sam and Max: The Movie

edited October 2012 in Sam & Max
Not an actual movie, but I just got an idea that (at least I thought) was really cool, What if after a few seasons, you guys put together a full leangth game, like about twenty hours of gameplay, sort every once in a while with TV shows you see a few seasons, then a movie, like the X-Files, maybe spend a season building up a story line, and then give the climax in a full length game, called Sam and Max: The Movie, though considering it's a video game, I'm not sure how good a title like "The Movie" would be. but please excuse me, it's 2:00 in the morning and I'm rambling.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Errr... I think Telltale likes episodic gameplay and it works best for them and us.

As for a REAL movie, I think it would be awesome. But the thing with movies (especially animated ones) is that it seems the only studios willing to put them out are ones that want alot of control. Everyone will have there hand in the cookie jar and it might turn out horrible.
    Straight to Video might be better, or even limited release because I can't see a Sam & Max movie being something that'll be huge with the mainstream movie crowd. Studios want the movie to be big so they'll mess around with the material until it's ready for mass consumption.
    I can dream though. We can always pretend the Freelance Police trailer is really a trailer for a movie though! lol
  • edited August 2007
    i agree with chris but the only animated movie i have ever really liked was akira (brilliant movie intelligent plot) i haven't ever enjoyed any other animated films as the scripts are often awful
  • edited August 2007
    patters wrote: »
    i agree with chris but the only animated movie i have ever really liked was akira (brilliant movie intelligent plot) i haven't ever enjoyed any other animated films as the scripts are often awful

You should watch Howl's Moving Castle, it is amazingly animated with a great plot. :)
  • edited August 2007
    You should watch Howl's Moving Castle, it is amazingly animated with a great plot. :)

i have also watched spirited away and it was ok but i prefer akira as it was amazing for its time and i prefer the animation style
  • edited August 2007

Yeah, but it messed up the plot and characters of the book so horribly (should have just called it something else) that I refuse to rewatch it.
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, but it messed up the plot and characters of the book so horribly (should have just called it something else) that I refuse to rewatch it.

I'd never read the book anyway, so I found it fine. :D
  • edited August 2007
    I apologize for bringing up a (somewhat) old thread, but I just had to reply to this.
    Straight to Video might be better, or even limited release because I can't see a Sam & Max movie being something that'll be huge with the mainstream movie crowd. Studios want the movie to be big so they'll mess around with the material until it's ready for mass consumption.

What the heck would the big movie executives have to do to make Sam and Max appeal to a mainstream crowd? Make Sam the suave hitman with a mysterious past and Max his nerdy but endearing partner?

Actually, I'd love to watch a movie like that.
  • edited August 2007
    What the heck would the big movie executives have to do to make Sam and Max appeal to a mainstream crowd?

they would have to screw it up completely, and frankly I'd never like to see Sam and Max apeal to a mainstream audience, I feel special being one of the few who actually know Sam and Max, I mean apart from those people who are like "wasn't that a children's show awhile back?"
  • edited August 2007
    I wouldn't mind other people knowing about it because it's not exactly as if I own the license. It would be entirely up to Steve Purcell. I'm also not saying that I wouldn't like to watch a really awesome, cinematic Sam and Max movie in either two or three dimension. (Although, for the record, an animated, top-of-the-line as in Disney quality, movie would be so kick-ass) I'm just saying that this most likely isn't going to happen and I would take a really crappy inevitably hilarious one over none at all.

I completely see where you're coming from, though.
  • edited August 2007
    I apologize for bringing up a (somewhat) old thread, but I just had to reply to this.

What the heck would the big movie executives have to do to make Sam and Max appeal to a mainstream crowd? Make Sam the suave hitman with a mysterious past and Max his nerdy but endearing partner?

Actually, I'd love to watch a movie like that.

Dumb it down for kids.
  • edited August 2007
    I wouldn't mind other people knowing about it because it's not exactly as if I own the license. It would be entirely up to Steve Purcell. I'm also not saying that I wouldn't like to watch a really awesome, cinematic Sam and Max movie in either two or three dimension. (Although, for the record, an animated, top-of-the-line as in Disney quality, movie would be so kick-ass) I'm just saying that this most likely isn't going to happen and I would take a really crappy inevitably hilarious one over none at all.

I completely see where you're coming from, though.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it happened, but I like the feeling of being in on something that noone else knows about, of course telltale bringing max out to the world. My problem with the animated series was that it didn't capture the look of the comics, if I get a new Sam and Max, I mean in the animated variety, I want it to look gritty, like an old detective film, have the color schemes and the style to look just alittle overly dramatic as compared to what's going on in the story.

I would also love a full have hour show done with Telltales animation, I think that would be cool, even if it was like an episode once a month to corrispond with the games, I love the Machinema, but a full half hour would be even cooler.
  • edited August 2007

then i suggest u check out the movie "MindGame" by Studio 4 C

it's got everything... i'll just say that now.
  • edited August 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Dumb it down for kids.

ummm or go the route jhonen vasquez did with invader zim
    and push it to the limits.. without going full on ren & stimpy crude.

or maybe screw it all together and go ren & stimpy crude. har ahr har
  • edited August 2007
    if I get a new Sam and Max, I mean in the animated variety, I want it to look gritty, like an old detective film, have the color schemes and the style to look just alittle overly dramatic as compared to what's going on in the story.
    I agree with you there, I really wish they had the actual feel for the world down, but then again I just enjoyed it because it was so insanely incomprehensible.

ummm or go the route jhonen vasquez did with invader zim
    and push it to the limits.. without going full on ren & stimpy crude
    I can't be the only one who doesn't think they did that already? Since the episodes themselves were so short, if you blinked you would miss half the plot but there were some memorable lines. I'm sure that in the Aiiiee Robot (or something like that) episode Sam makes a comment about a giant nipple and there's a real, real subtle joke about dreams...the kind of dreams that I'd really rather not explain.

Also, was the "Do Not Open Until X-Mas" joke in Christmas, Bloody Christmas really going for what I thought it was?
  • edited August 2007
    I don't think that a movie would be a good idea because Sam and Max is a great computer game, so making a movie whick you can't interact with would just destroy the Sam and Max feel.
  • edited August 2007
    So the comics destroy the "Sam & Max feel"?
  • edited August 2007
    I don't think that a movie would be a good idea because Sam and Max is a great computer game, so making a movie whick you can't interact with would just destroy the Sam and Max feel.

Can't really interact with comics can you? PAGE TURNING ACTION! :p
  • edited August 2007
    It seems strange that someone would think games based on Sam and Max could have more of a Sam and Max feel than the original comics they're actually based on.
  • edited August 2007
    They tend to make horrible video game movies (house of the dead) but if the writers of the game worked on the movie it could be the best thing these eyes could ever see. Plus I have always wondered how they met.
  • edited August 2007
    They tend to make horrible video game movies (house of the dead) but if the writers of the game worked on the movie it could be the best thing these eyes could ever see. Plus I have always wondered how they met.

in a way it wouldn't be a video game conversion as it is actually a comic book translation
  • edited August 2007
    in a way it wouldn't be a video game conversion as it is actually a comic book translation
    That might work. I mean, most recent comic book movies haven't totally sucked.
  • MelMel
    edited August 2007
    They are making a Neverhood movie (and Doug TenNapel is involved).
  • edited August 2007
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    That might work. I mean, most recent comic book movies haven't totally sucked.

but then again they are superhero transitions and were live action (sam and max wouldn't work in that environment)
  • edited September 2007
    but then again they are superhero transitions and were live action (sam and max wouldn't work in that environment)

Unless...

Do you think we could borrow the Comic-Con suit?
  • edited September 2007
    Unless...

Do you think we could borrow the Comic-Con suit?

one scene could be (like ep 4)

max vs george lucas
  • edited September 2007
    I didn't mean a movie based on the game, I meant a full leangth adventure game that comes after a few seasons of the actual game, just CALL it Sam and Max: The Movie.
  • edited September 2007
    OOh, then we can have Sam & Max: The Movie Tie-in Marketing Extravaganza, where a ton of tiny Sam and Max minigames are released :P
  • edited September 2007
    There's no reason to assume straight-off that an idea wouldn't work in any particular medium, but I expect Sam and Max doesn't have enough substance for a movie, which isn't a criticism. It's just that the stories are a pretty constant stream of quick-fire jokes, and that kind of thing is best appreciated in short bursts.
  • edited September 2007
    Surely you've seen Airplane?
  • edited September 2007
    I edited your post to correct your oversight of a perfect joke opportunity. And don't call me Shirley.
  • edited September 2007
    tobar wrote: »
    Surely you've seen Airplane?

Lol yeah, good point.
  • edited September 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    I edited your post to correct your oversight of a perfect joke opportunity. And don't call me Shirley.

Huzzah! You've won the thread :D
  • edited September 2007
    laugh.gif
  • edited September 2007
    tabacco wrote: »

God bless blatant abuse of admin powers! :rolleyes:
  • edited September 2007
    There's no reason to assume straight-off that an idea wouldn't work in any particular medium, but I expect Sam and Max doesn't have enough substance for a movie, which isn't a criticism. It's just that the stories are a pretty constant stream of quick-fire jokes, and that kind of thing is best appreciated in short bursts.

Perhaps it would be better to have a bunch of seemingly-random stories that, in fact, all connect at the end in a surprise twist? I'm thinking along the lines of Big Fish but more ambiguous and more Sam and Max.
  • edited September 2007
    Perhaps it would be better to have a bunch of seemingly-random stories that, in fact, all connect at the end in a surprise twist? I'm thinking along the lines of Big Fish but more ambiguous and more Sam and Max.

Maybe. I can't help but think of the third Harry Potter film in which lots of disjoint events are all going on at once and it's horribly messy, but that doesn't mean it can't be done well by a competent director. Big Fish is a good counter-example, although slightly different from mine because the stories mostly happen one at a time rather than all at once.
  • edited September 2007
    Easy way to get a good Sam N Max movie made and released, do it machinima style!:D Sure you can't make any money off it that way, or maybe you can I don't know, but they've done a killer job with the humor thus far both in the games and the website shorts.

As for a "The Movie" game, well it's been done. I really like the episodic format, gives me something to look forward to each month of my dreary - oh sorry I missed my medication. Anyway if the episodes ever get to a point where they are to large and complex to release once a month, or to large of a physical download to handle reasonably, then yeah it might be a better option to wait a while and get one big game a year, but I think it's probably a little unreasonable to expect one between seasons.
  • edited September 2007
    Yeah that makes sense, Also, i kind of came the realisation, that Sam and Max Season 1, is sort of the series based on the movie, the movie being Hit the Road.
  • edited October 2012
    I kind of think of Hit The Road as being the "movie".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.