Schafer's new project?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2007
    That's exactly what we did with our game :p
  • edited October 2007
    If you're talking of the PC version of Sam&Max Season 1 than this isn't on the level with what actually would be possible with an average PC nowadays, at least the system if would have in mind. It even runs pretty well on rather outdated sytems, looking at a gfx card like a GeForce3 for instance. Therefore it isn't quite surprising that it also will perform well on the Wii, even more due to the low resolution the Wii offers.

Even if you would be in need you still could tweak the usual screws like screen res/aa/texture res/filtering and so on but if you have designed a game for an average pc which makes proper useage of the additional power gameplay wise may it be AI, physics, nice shaders or whatever then this isn't a nice job anymore as the Wii is a poor performer here.
  • edited October 2007
    I think it's perfectly possible to make a cross-platform game for Wii and 360, for instance, but there's trouble if you start by making a 360 game and try to port it to Wii. I think the Wii can handle a lot more than developers give it credit for, but it's a very different system.

That said, none of this excuses the absence of Psychonauts for GameCube, which was a more powerful system than PS2, with a market more apt to buy a game like Psychonauts. Want to know why I didn't buy Psychonauts? They didn't release it for my system.

In this case, I'm more hoping for a PC version of BL, because a Wii version would have to be very different, and I'd like to get the same experience as 360-havers. Still, it'd be pretty cool if Schaefer's team joined up with the creators of the canceled Project HAMMER and made a fun ax-swinging game for Wii. :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    The Gamecube was pretty much dead when Psychonauts came out. What games did you buy for the system in those six months? I bought none, and I played Smash Bros and Pikmin on my Gamecube pretty regularly.
  • edited October 2007
    To be fair, the GameCube never really did all that well in the console wars though, so it might not have been cost effective to port it to the system.

To be honest though, I'm getting sick of the hype for the Wii. I've got one, and I'm bored of it already, it just seems like a gimmick (I know I'll take some flak for this, but I've not played one game yet where it seems it couldn't be done on another system, barring the endless torrents of mini-game compilations).
    It gets used about once or twice a month, just to play Smash Bros Melee, but other than that, I'm really not getting into it.

That said, I think the PS3 and 360 are both pretty bad too, before I'm accused of being a fanboy or anything. This gen's pretty terrible all-round.

I think DF has taken a pretty bold move not buying into the Wii hype, and if it means they can work more on perfecting the game rather than shoe-horning waggle controls into the Wii port.

Personally, I think the Wii's just a passing fad (apparently, in Japan, only 30% of buyers regularly use their Wii, but I wouldn't take statistics for granted though), and give it a year or so, it'll be another GameCube unless it gets more Mario Galaxies, and less Cooking Mamas.
    If DF invest time in a Wii version, just for the console to crash out, that's potential profits lost.

That, and there's less casual games (think Brain Training) and very little must-buy games on the other systems, so BL won't be lost in the sea of them.
    I think the gimmicks worked with the DS because there was always the 'real' control system to fall back on, but with the Wii, you're stuck with the remote and nunchuck, whether there's enough buttons or gestures for the game or not.

Ranty post, I know, I'm just not jumping on the Nintendo bandwagon. And I like ranting.
  • edited October 2007
    Yep, somehow best would have been a silent system with a nice controller (Nintendo always made the best ones so far, at least for my hands) with reasonable power under the hood.

Part of the problem are those hdtv resolutions as it can take up pretty much fillrate to get all those pixes lined up in time. I think a more reasonable nextgen will happen with the existing sytems once they can make usage of die shrinks and therefore also lower the prices and the power consumpten and getting rid of those annoying fans, providing more mature systems and drivers.

I mean beside of the jolly defined platform that once was the advantage of a console. Turn on and play. Currently some systems push out more updates than on ordinary computer os.

Anyway the price reduction sony went for is a nice step and i suspect once the good games come out, speaking of LittleBigPlanet or Brütal Legend ;O) it also will sell. I like the Wii for what it is (beside of that i hate swapping batteries) but i also can imagine a world beside of Mario Blabla and Pokemon like characters.
  • edited October 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    The Gamecube was pretty much dead when Psychonauts came out. What games did you buy for the system in those six months? I bought none, and I played Smash Bros and Pikmin on my Gamecube pretty regularly.

It's not like the system physically died, people just stopped making games for it. If they had sold games I wanted, I would have bought them. Blah.
  • edited October 2007
    personally I loved the few games that were great on it... jake GC was groundbreaking for new ideas..

Bongos? oh heck yea gimme more.. and change those horrid american setlist
    Chibi Robo? First game to ALMOST use the microphone to command stuff! Only later it was used only on pinball(odama) and later a drum game came out (only in japan)
    Tons of GC stuff EUR and USA never saw made the console great. I would however state it was really never a great console game wise though :P I own almost every game NTSC/US for it and only about 20 are worth playing over and over.. and a few of those are on ps2.. .viewtiful joe 1 being one of em.

Anyway nintendo will always have a place in my heart.. they try to challenge new ideas and concepts which broaden the range of gaming. Wii almost used a holographic type interface instead of the wiimote.. look out next gen :P

Nintendo.. I got your back GC N64 SNES NES and beyond.. just dont ever use gamebit screws again your tickin me off with all the melted pens here. (look it up kids)

Btw im no fanboy.. Its not really about the consoles in the end.. but the games + the console. Best console ever physically can suck due to lack of decent games.. look at xbox 1, great machine, almost no games for it that were worth a fart XD
    Still its the only console to date I dont own :P
    Other than the new ones of courseith
    Rubs hands.. soon they shall all be mine
  • edited October 2007
    ok, firsty I have to admit I love Tim Schafer. Ive been playing his games since I was 3 and none of them have ever let me down. But this new game isn't looking like my kind of game. I really hope that he was making something better but...
    I think its because doublefine, being a new company, need to raise their profile to the public and get themselves known. Im sure you all know psychonauts didn't do to well even though it won loads of rewards. I think he is going to make this game so it appeals to everyone who love rock and roll (cosidering there is a lot) this should help doublefine become a more reconized company, and maybe get Tim some new fans.

I think it isn't a fraud even if tim messes with our minds, why else would he
    1. copywrite the name of brutal legend
    2. Jack Black was seen wearing one of Tims Shirts saying " whispering rock summer camp" so I think he is definently involved
    3. release a magesine about it? and then advertise it on doublefine.com

I don't want this game but if it helps tim not go out of buisness then im ok with it. I want to work for doublefine one day as a programmer <3

EDIT I forgot....has anyone else seen the trailer?? http://youtube.com/watch?v=2WYH2sFCGvE
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    personally I loved the few games that were great on it... jake GC was groundbreaking for new ideas..

... You may have missed my point. For years the Gamecube was the only console I owned in its generation. And of course it had lots of cool things going for it (including the DK bongos, which made for an awesome party game). In general, the Gamecube was an excellent console - many of my favorite games from that era are for that system. In this regard, I've got nothing against the Gamecube or Nintendo.

I'm just saying, though, that by the time Psychonauts came out, nobody but Gamecube enthusiasts were actually really thinking about Gamecubes anymore, while the Xbox and PS2 were still rolling along with steady mainstream releases from a huge assortment of developers. Even though, as a Gamecube owner, it was a bummer that Psychonauts wasn't coming to that platform, it made a lot of business sense to me to not invest in the team and the time it would take to bring the game to that platform.

It was surely doable from a technical standpoint to bring Psychonauts to Gamecube, but despite what people might think, it's not a walk in the park to move a game from one platform to another -- it takes a sizeable amount of time.... and every minute of that sizeable amount of time is of course time that you must pay all of your programmers... and decent programmers aren't free -- and as we all know now (especially in hindsight), Psychonauts wasn't exactly a guaranteed moneymaker. I don't think the game would have done any better if it was also on Gamecube in addition to the other three platforms it was published for. It would have appeased a handful of Gamecube owners, but, really, that's a handful. The Gamecube wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at that point, and, though it's a bummer, realistically I think everyone knows that Psychonauts wouldn't have helped.
  • edited October 2007
    I don't think Psychonauts would have really helped the GameCube, and I don't think the GameCube would have really helped Psychonauts, but I still feel like it would have sold just as well on GameCube as it did on PS2, just because it's a Nintendoish sort of game.

Maybe they'll port Psychonauts to the Wii :p
  • edited October 2007
    ahh ! Get ya know. And I do agree :P
  • edited October 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Maybe they'll port Psychonauts to the Wii :p

Now that would be a great idea. Hey, if they're porting Okami (which finally I'll be able to play, yay!) I don't see why it wouldn't work for psychonauts.
  • edited October 2007
    I'd love to get this game but after seeing the gory trailer there is no chance I'll ever be able to get this game (unless my parents didn't know it was violent). Okami on the Wii would be great! On IGN.com it still says that it is an unconfirmed rumour.

I can understand what KitSit means...

Nobody of my friends has ever played Psychonauts, but Jack Black, Rock Music, God of War type gameplay? I'm sure when this is released all my friends will be saying that they want this game.
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    Okami on the Wii would be great! On IGN.com it still says that it is an unconfirmed rumour.

'Tis quite confirmed by Capcom themselves:
    CAPCOM® TO BRING THE AWARD-WINNING OKAMI TO THE WiiTM
    A Stroke of Genius Brings the Incredible Action/Adventure Game To Life Using the Wii Remote
    SAN MATEO, Calif. — October 17, 2007 — It’s finally time to experience the magic of Okami™ as it was always meant to be played. Capcom’s award winning game -- hailed as “Game of the Year”for 2006 by multiple magazines and websites including Associated Press, PSM, Village Voice, IGN.com, Game Revolution and more -- is set for release on the Wii™ home video game system in Spring 2008. Featuring a re-imagined control scheme built around the intuitive Wii Remote™, Okami offers players an unparalleled level of control and an opportunity to rediscover a critically-acclaimed and beautifully crafted adventure.

Okami tells the story of a mythical sun god who sets out to restore a dismal world, decimating the forces of evil who stand in the way by commanding the elements and mythical abilities the deity possesses. Mixing Japanese folklore and a stunning traditional Japanese art style, players must utilize an inventive control scheme to overcome the challenges and evil that await. By enhancing the unique gameplay, visual style and story line of TMkami with the control of the Wii Remote, it is sure to be the ultimate version of the game.

Originally designed for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and released in 2006, Okami now comes alive in an entirely new way on the Wii with its visually stunning art style and beautiful scenic 3D levels that have the appearance and texture of paper scrolls brushed with watercolor-like calligraphy art. Throughout the vibrant and distinctive surroundings, players must use the Wii remote to interact with a dynamic world and cast of characters. The blend of stylized graphics, movements and unique gameplay will result in a rich and dynamic experience never seen before.

Okami includes the following features:
    • Innovative gameplay and control scheme optimized for the Wii - Defeating monsters requires both motion-controlled physical attacks, but also use of the Wii Remote as Amaterasu’s ‘Celestial Brush’ to paint the desired powers for decimating enemies and solving puzzles.
    • Create and destroy at will - Play as a god to re-establish order and beauty to a world laid barren by evil.
    • Intense action-packed battles – Rooted in Japanese folklore, fight against a diverse line-up of demons and monsters.
    • Utilize various gameplay styles – In addition to the Celestial Brush, Amaterasu can wield three types of offensive weaponry, each with their own unique abilities and effects. Depending on how a weapon is equipped, it can be used as the main or sub weapon:
    o Reflectors – These well-balanced weapons are suited for close range combat
    o Rosaries– Sacred magatama beads are great for quick long range attacks
    o Glaives – These can be charged up to unleash powerful close range attacks
    • Intriguing main character – Assume the role of the sun god, Amaterasu, who descends upon the earth in the form of a wolf. The Japanese translation of the word wolf is “Okami”.
    • Original visuals and revolutionary design– Vibrant and inspiring graphics, reminiscent of traditional Japanese art created on paper scrolls, produce a large variety of stages with a watercolor-esque appearance.
    • Interact with a unique and dynamic cast of characters.
  • edited October 2007
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    I'd love to get this game but after seeing the gory trailer there is no chance I'll ever be able to get this game (unless my parents didn't know it was violent)

Just tell them it's like Guitar Hero :D
  • edited October 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Just tell them it's like Guitar Hero :D

I could tell them it is like Gitaroo-Man but more American...and it is also has blood...

@Mel: Well that settles it. I am definatlely getting a Wii now.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.