Targeted consoles?

edited January 2005 in General Chat
Hmm. Looking over at the job recruitment page, I couldn't help but notice this in the requirements:

Console development experience (Xbox and PS2 preferred)

Interesting. I wonder if this is any hint at Telltale's intended platforms.

Comments

• edited January 2005
    It also mentions having experiance in Lua. Which Lucas arts used in the developement of Escape from Monkey Island. Hmm, could be clue to what the engine is going to be like? Now only to find out what Lua does.
  • edited January 2005
    LUA's merely a language, though. You can't just assume it's going to be used to build a Grim/EMI-like engine.
  • edited January 2005
    well if you look at the total sales of PC Games and the total sales of console games it makes a lot of sense... the problem with pc gaming is everyone has different PC's some cant play the latest games some can..but the majority of people have a xbox or playstation.. the strategy of selling an adventure game on an xbox/ps2 just has to be worked out but im sure it can be done..
  • edited January 2005
    I agree, I also think that Pc games are overall becoming less popular to consoles. Only a few genres are better adjusted on PC,( Rts, some simulations, maybe even adventures). But alot of the more action packed genres like platform games,fps and racing games you find on the consoles. I think thats because that consoles controllers offer a very hands on type of experiance with the main character/s, where with the PC you are more likely to be telling them where to go or what to do.
  • edited January 2005
    woah woah woah fps games are much better on the PC. I won't touch the crap on the consoles unless I'm using a mouse and keyboard it isn't worth playing. I know consoles are starting to have that for fps but it's still clunky and craptacular. As for adventure games I wouldn't play one on the console either. I agree things like fighting games are much better for the console.
  • edited January 2005
    you know how they have those console controllers for the pc..what if some1 designed a mouse that plugs into the x-box and you'd get one with your new adventure game so it was easy to play :D
  • edited January 2005
    LUA is just a scripting language. It can be used from anything to controlling AI behavior to managing interfaces (World of Warcraft's UI is LUA and XML). It's sort of a general purpose language. The benefit is its runtime complied and the syntax is simplier so you use it to change actor and object behavior in real time.

Anyway, console development makes sense sales wise, as does porting across multiple platforms (unless one of the big three cuts you a hefty check for exclusivity).
  • edited January 2005
    note to telltale; please dont go console, for the love of god
  • edited January 2005
    ^^ misanthrope is right...

Adventures on console?
    How about textadventures - typing with the PS/XBox-controller? ;)
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2005
    I personally like console games because I like the comfort of my couch and I sit in front of a computer all day anyway. :P

But don't worry, Telltale is very PC-Friendly.

Heather
  • edited January 2005

Dude, just because they're going console (sort of required for survival in today's market) doesn't mean they're shutting out the PC owners! I'm sure Telltale is aware that many longtime adventure gamers (a substantial portion of their target audience) are PC owners.
  • edited January 2005

Dude, just because they're going console (sort of required for survival in today's market) doesn't mean they're shutting out the PC owners! I'm sure Telltale is aware that many longtime adventure gamers (a substantial portion of their target audience) are PC owners.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that with the proliferation of middleware, having one codebase that runs on multiple platforms is easier than ever.

It's really a matter of preference, by doing console and PC versions you can reach the broadest audience available, generate more sales, and not have a start up company shrivel up because it couldn't turn a profit. Larger audience = more sales = more money to make new games with.
This discussion has been closed.