$12.99 for The Great Cow Race!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited April 2006 in Bone
Did everyone see the news?
Effective immediately, all episodes in the Bone series that sell through Telltale's digital distribution channel will sell for $12.99, to align with current models in other entertainment media.

This should be a bit easier to swallow for those who thought $20 was too high. :)

Comments

• edited April 2006
    well that's good to hear. $13 sounds very reasonable for episodic games like Bone.
  • edited April 2006
    This is absolutely great. :D Of course, I was going to buy the games anyway, even at $20. But now I can spend that money on other goodies on the Telltale website like the t-shirt or Sam & Max signed prints (sure it's not Bone-related, but I already have the one-volume collection). I'm guessing this price is only for future Bone games, right? Like, the Sam & Max game will have a different price. Maybe. Anyway, that's how I read it. And why not charge more for that one? People hunger for Sam & Max. They must FEED! [>:)] ;)

Telltale is really putting these games out quickly. I haven't had a chance to finish reading the first book of Bone, and now The Great Cow Race is coming soon.
  • edited April 2006
    I think the pricing policy should remain the same for Sam & Max. I see no reason for a different price tag.
    BTW, that's great news!!!!! :D :D :D
    Domenico
    (Italy)
  • edited April 2006
    You don't think Steve Purcell deserves your extra $7 for bringing you JOY and LAUGHTER? You owe him at least that much for the webcomics. Would you say that to his face?

hehe... I'm just kiddin'. But seriously, I wouldn't complain if it stayed at $20 for Sam & Max. At least, at first I wouldn't.
  • edited April 2006
    You don't think Steve Purcell deserves your extra $7 for bringing you JOY and LAUGHTER? You owe him at least that much for the webcomics. Would you say that to his face?

LOL! Of course, I've already bought the posters from Tantrum Entertainment years ago and I had my shiny S&M T-Shirt from Telltale! :D
    I was just suggesting to Telltale that keeping the same juicy price tag could improve their business. B-)
    Dom
  • edited April 2006
    I do agree that it'll attract a lot more people. $12.99 is MUCH more casual than $19.99. I wouldn't even think twice about spending 13 dollars on games like these. At $20, I might have to wait for the next paycheck, though, but I'd still ultimately get it. But that's because Telltale already stole my heart and several other major body organs.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2006
    But that's because Telltale already stole my heart and several other major body organs.

I saw those lying around the office this morning... I was wondering who they belonged to. :D

EDIT: By the way, this was slipped in under the radar, but if you look at the product page you'll see that the CD price has been reduced to $17.99.
  • edited April 2006
    I'm insanely jealous of you and your new Telltale position (and Jake's and Doug's, too), doing whatever it is you're doing. How long until you're all designing games? ;) :D
    edited April 2006
    End of the week probably. I just have to figure out how to make Dave and Heather "disappear". :D

Err... did I just say that out loud?

(Thanks, by the way. It is exciting, for all of us. :))
  • edited April 2006
    End of the week probably. I just have to figure out how to make Dave and Heather "disappear". :D

So that explains the flaming computers, I guess...
    edited April 2006
    Hey, I had nothing to do with those! That was way before my time. :D

*guards new computer with her life*

Now if only I could get a decent chair... :))
  • edited April 2006
    hang on emily and jake have now joined telltale? thats awesome news..great work guys :D
  • edited April 2006
    Jury still out on Doug?
  • edited April 2006
    Tabacco pwns these forums. He's the sheriff. But recently he's been spending most of his time not talking about cows.
  • edited April 2006
    Personally, I'm not as happy as some with the price change.

I was expecting them to significantly increased play time (not by adding meaningless stuff or fillers but simply by making it longer with the same quality) on the range of 3x for the cow race. But now I suspect it'll just be about the same length. $13 for ~4 hours (rough estimate of the play time for the first episode) or $20 for 12 hours. I know which one I prefer.

Of course, perhaps they'll still increase the play time. I guess by not as much but if they do increase it e.g. by 2x so we get $13 for 8 hours. In this case, the choice they made is clearly the better one. The lower price point ($13 vs $20) will help draw people to try out and buy game. And making it too long will perhaps increase development time by too much...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2006
    In playtests the game has come out around twice as long, more for some people. Of course since this is an adventure game (and adventure games by nature move at whatever pace you do), the length of the game varies depending on whether or not you have a penchant for blasting through dialogue versus exploring every nook and cranny the game has to offer. That said, Cow Race is, on average, a significantly longer game than Out From Boneville, with more places to poke around in.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.