original voice actors

edited May 2006 in Sam & Max
will the voice actors in sam & max 2 be the same as in sam & max: hit the road?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    The game is not Sam and Max 2 (it's more of a reimagining, as Telltale's self publishing means it can be closer to the comics than the colorful LucasArts game) nor has it been announced whether the voice actors will return. However, they were working on the cancelled Sam and Max: Freelance Police, and some the development team on that founded Telltale, so hopefully the actors will reprise their roles. The fans all want them to, anyway, it's rare to find someone who preferred the TV voices.
  • edited January 2006
    I actually like both (TV and Game) although I prefer the game voices more.
  • edited January 2006
    what´s the real diffrent between the game and the comics, I´d never got that?
  • edited January 2006
    what´s the real diffrent between the game and the comics, I´d never got that?

Yeah, what difference? The lack of excessive violence?
  • edited January 2006
    The difference between the game and comics? The game is a little more "kid friendly", but the they are pretty close.

If you're talking about the game and the TV show, the show was much more kid friendly and a bit more juvenile, and the voices were different obviously. Sam was still quite similar, although a little less gruff than the game. Max was a pretty different voice, with much less of that scratchy nasal voice.
  • edited January 2006
    To me, the voices of Sam and Max will always be the guys from the Lucasarts game, the TV show being a near second. I'd still be warm and receptive to the new game, but having the same voices that I already associate with the characters would be that much better.
  • edited January 2006
    Yes I'd like to see the voices from the first game not the ones from the TV show
  • edited January 2006
    I'm British, so I never really saw the cartoon, though it has appeared once on terestrial tv. I have to say that seeing a bit of an episode after playing the game I wasn't too impressed, especially with the voice actors. I'm excited about the new game, but I hope the actors and style is very simular to the LucasArts game
  • edited January 2006
    I'd be completely fine with either -- I'm honestly not sure which ones I like better. Cartoon Sam was more gruff and "doggy", whereas video game Sam was more nasal and sarcastic. Cartoon Max was more sprightly, or something like that, and video game Max was, once again, more nasal and sarcastic. I guess it depends somewhat on the tone of the game, though they really didn't strike me as being all that different, aside from the cartoon adding a sidekick and not allowing "adult content".
    One thing that's good to keep in mind, if you want the old voices, is that Nick Jameson does a heck of a lot of acting (most recently, he was the Russian president on 24 about a week ago), so he's not some guy at Lucasarts that only does Lucasarts stuff.

New voices, on the other hand, would worry me. Of course I'd have to hear them first...
  • edited April 2006
    I really hope they get the actors from the original game. Those are the voices I associate with the characters (the only voices I've heard them have).
  • edited May 2006
    While I liked both, I think that I prefer the Sam from the TV show and the Max from the game. Those are just the voices that I give them whenever I read a comic. Hell, the only reason I'd ever stomach an episode of "The Ripping Friends" was a combination of the fact that it was from John K. and that the voice of their leader was Sam.
  • edited May 2006
    According to the new website, neither Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson OR Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler (imagine being called Bob Tinkler! I like it!) will be returning.

What I want to know is: why not?
  • edited May 2006
    Telltale said in past interviews that they would try to get them. The fact that they didn't means that they probably couldn't work out schedules or couldn't agree on a price. It sucks, but I guess it was out of their hands.
  • edited May 2006
    Given the frequency of Sam & Max episodes, it's a pretty big commitment from the voice actors to have to return to the studio every 4-6 weeks or so to record a session for the next episode. This could be one consideration as to why they were unable to sign previous Sam & Max voices.

Udvarnoky, I know you've seen the trailer which is voiced. This seems at odds with what the FAQ is saying (noone has been signed on yet). Though a possibility is that the people that were able to be used for the E3 teaser trailer (possibly former Sam & Max voice actors) were unable to sign up for the actual game work.
  • edited May 2006
    They were neither the Hit the Road/Freelance Police actors nor the TV actors. They're good voices though, somewhere in between. Since GameTap only seems to like archiving stupid stuff for repeated viewing I'll have to wait for Telltale to put it up to hear it again.

I suppose it's possible Telltale did pick the voices already, it just sure doesn't seem that way from the way they worded the Q&A. The voices I heard were definitely good though, placeholders or not.
  • edited May 2006
    Maybe the screen-tests for potential voice actors was cunningly the wording necessary for the trailer. So anyone who has possibly auditioned for the roles unwittingly (?) provided Telltale with audio assetts for their trailer. :D
  • edited May 2006
    On a tangent, I've just realised that the Australian psychic guy from "Lost" (was in last night's episode and a season 1 episode) is Nick Jameson, the voice of Max in Hit The Road!
  • edited May 2006
    On a tangent, I've just realised that the Australian psychic guy from "Lost" (was in last night's episode and a season 1 episode) is Nick Jameson, the voice of Max in Hit The Road!

HOLY BOUNCING BUDDHA!
    That's a huge find, man! Just watched the latest episode. That guy is max? No wonder Telltale couldn't grab him for the game. His paygrade is prolly a bit above these games currently.
  • edited May 2006
    He was also the Russian president in the current season of 24.
  • edited May 2006

...and the voice of Vlada on "The Critic" :)
  • edited May 2006

...and the voice of Vlada on "The Critic" :)
    And whatever else IMDB cares to tell us... ;)
  • edited May 2006
    The difference between the game and comics? The game is a little more "kid friendly", but the they are pretty close.

If you're talking about the game and the TV show, the show was much more kid friendly and a bit more juvenile, and the voices were different obviously. Sam was still quite similar, although a little less gruff than the game. Max was a pretty different voice, with much less of that scratchy nasal voice.

There was a guy in Hit the road, that basicaly used the f-word as his vocabulary. It might have been edited, but it was like leisure suit larry 7, easy to know what he was saying.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.